Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Itty Bitty Hex wrenches

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Itty Bitty Hex wrenches

Where's the best place to order good sturdy 1.27mm or .050" hex wrenches?
I keep rounding the tips so I probably need a few. Who makes the best ones and where can I get them?
Thanks!
SRQmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
gas
Rock Stacker

try www.wttool.com or www.travers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQmini View Post
Where's the best place to order good sturdy 1.27mm or .050" hex wrenches?
I keep rounding the tips so I probably need a few. Who makes the best ones and where can I get them?
Thanks!
gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #3

Check Mcmaster Carr also http://www.mcmaster.com/#allen-key-wrenches/=6pc1pq . We use them a lot at work. You can also check MSC.
1of1547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of1547 View Post
Check Mcmaster Carr also http://www.mcmaster.com/#allen-key-wrenches/=6pc1pq . We use them a lot at work. You can also check MSC.
Sorry it didn't link the way I wanted. Check out page 2825.
1of1547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Are you wanting a hex wrench or hex keys? Losi, Integy, Hudy, Axia, OFNA and RPM all have them. I've never used the Axial, OFNA or RPM ones but the Hudy and Losi are top notch quality and the Integy is pretty good, especially for the cost. Not sure if you can buy the Integy without buying the entire set though.
silentcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I guess the main question I need to ask is which one is best by experience?
Does any one have any recommendations of a wrench or a key that doesn't round out the first few times it is used?
The only other solution I can think of is to buy one of the 100 packs!
Old 04-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentcircus View Post
Are you wanting a hex wrench or hex keys? Losi, Integy, Hudy, Axia, OFNA and RPM all have them. I've never used the Axial, OFNA or RPM ones but the Hudy and Losi are top notch quality and the Integy is pretty good, especially for the cost. Not sure if you can buy the Integy without buying the entire set though.

Ive seen more Integy wrenchs either round themselves off or just plain old break .... cant put a price on a broken tool when its crunch time.

but agree, you may pay a bit more for the Hudy, Losi or even MIP tools but they are well worth it!
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

this is what i use and have been very happy with them. I have a set of metric and imperial sizes. the tips have held up quite well. the mip or hudy are a step above in quality, but these are very good tools for the price point.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN2909

Last edited by rex cars; 04-18-2010 at 11:26 AM.
rex cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I would have to say that the hudy are the best in my experience followed by the losi. Integy thumbs down they're great if you like stripping stuff. I like to over tighten everything and my trusty hudy tools have withstood the torture for years now.
SMOKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #10

Stupid noob question but why not say like a craftsman set? They seem to be close in price and if you round one out or it snaps lifetime replacment, just a short trip to the nearest sears.
sp009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:18 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

That is probably a good suggestion. Unfortunately I don't live close to Sears though.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Ive seen more Integy wrenchs either round themselves off or just plain old break .... cant put a price on a broken tool when its crunch time.

but agree, you may pay a bit more for the Hudy, Losi or even MIP tools but they are well worth it!
That's why I keep (at least) two of each size. Just in case. Nothing worse than having your day end because you don't have the right tool.

I've got Hudy and Losi for the main sets and Integy as backups. Also have a set of Bullitt Racing's (no longer in business) ball ends for those hard to reach places.

Don't skimp on tools, it'll come back to bite you eventually. Get the best you can afford to get.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp009 View Post
Stupid noob question but why not say like a craftsman set? They seem to be close in price and if you round one out or it snaps lifetime replacment, just a short trip to the nearest sears.
You want machined/ground tips , formed tips like craftsman/mac and even snap on will just give you trouble, there is so much slop between the hex and the screw it aint worth it, I have some ofna longs-love those- and some integy ti coated bits, I use the integy's in my cordless and never had a problem, and I use stainless 95% of the time, I also bought a set of proline's I like the ball drivers,but the handles suk
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

i've had my losi set for 3 months now and they are all still perfect...even the little guy and I use it ALOT. I tried cheaper tools and the bigger ones held up ok but the little guys would round off fast. Hudy is awesome but also pricy.
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I have a set of Integy Ti-Nitride Hex Wrenches
had them since 2003, i admit i did break the 1.5 when i first got them but i tryed to turn a set-screw in & past the metal. I bought two 1.5 tips & still have the 2 extra tips, just in case. just keep pressure on the screw, so the hex tip dosen't keep popping out & rounding the screw
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKTH6&P=ML
prusik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

see if any of the sizes you need are here http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...word=hex&vName=

pretty sure they have a lifetime warranty too so you wouldn't have to buy them again.
Boids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boids View Post
see if any of the sizes you need are here http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...word=hex&vName=

pretty sure they have a lifetime warranty too so you wouldn't have to buy them again.
I had the same idea initially but wouldn't bother with Sears. According to "the tool guy" at one of the big local Sears stores here, only the Craftsman brand tools have the lifetime warranty. "Sears" brand and any other brands sold do not or, if they do, are not honored by Sears themselves but through the manufacturer.

There are no screwdriver handled type hex wrenches, only folding keys, L keys and T-handles.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentcircus View Post
I had the same idea initially but wouldn't bother with Sears. According to "the tool guy" at one of the big local Sears stores here, only the Craftsman brand tools have the lifetime warranty. "Sears" brand and any other brands sold do not or, if they do, are not honored by Sears themselves but through the manufacturer.

There are no screwdriver handled type hex wrenches, only folding keys, L keys and T-handles.
nice thread. i've been looking for a set for myself as well.
i just happened to be in a sears yesterday looking for craftsman hex drivers. they only had them in sae, no metric. damnit. they did have a .050 for like $3. it was craftsman, so lifetime warranty. but i didn't even bother since i need a whole set of metric, plus that .050

i used a friend's dynamite allen drivers (the more expensive set, not the cheaper one) and they are damn nice. i'm spoiled now and want a nice set. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN3080

Last edited by wicked4x4; 04-23-2010 at 09:22 AM.
wicked4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I actually went to a Harbor Freight store the other day and bought a screwdriver set that included 32 bits. It had the .050 hex and it has worked great so far. I rounded the others almost immediately and I have used this one several times already. The brand is Pittsburgh and is cheap. The tips are chrome vanadium. I don't know if that is a good thing but it has worked for me so far...
Old 04-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

The t-handles wouldn't work for you , and yes i would buy the craftsman brand. The t-handles we used at intel when i worked there had about a 6 inch shaft whitch should be long enough for the rc's
Boids is offline   Reply With Quote