Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Just moved into an apartment...what tools are needed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Just moved into an apartment...what tools are needed?

Hey guys,

Just like the title says, just moved into apartment and im lacking pretty much EVERYTHING i had when i moved from my parent`s house (I.E. - vice, power tools, etc.) Well i have a few scewdrivers and stuff like that, but what else would i need. Now think about this, i have limited space but i do have an outside patio (which is some what limited too but its enough) I was thinking like maybe a drill of course, a folding table to work on, maybe a small vice, a small pipe cutter for make links, i have a cordless dremel (it sux but it will do).....anything else? Im starting a scale build and i`m quickly finding out that i`m not exactly ready for it....tools wise atleast. I guess what i`m asking is...what kind of tools should i get that are apartment friendly i guess?
ToTheMAXXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Table and a drill is all you need. I say if your not that far from the parents you can always go back to work on some stuff.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
JSN
Quarry Creeper

What are you looking to do? you wanting tools for working around the apartment(thats IF your allowed)or JUST for building your scaler?
JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
0 0

i started with a mini hacksaw, drill, file and a few other small handtools. whatever you need go ahead and buy it. your more than likely gonna need it again.
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Well not to work on the apartment itself (since we cant), but mainly for working on my scaler and my Super crawler that i have also. Im just trying to get a feel for what i need since space and a place to work is some what limited. And yes i live about 5 minutes from my parents house so i could go there and work on my crawlers, but i dont want to go to my parents house just for that, know what i mean? So just a small work table and a drill is all i need...maybe a little set of files, and some more spare hardware and somehow a small vice also? Maybe bolt it to the work table im getting. Thanks for the ideas guys!

p.s. - i know this was a stupid question, but just wanted to see if anyone else in an apartment had any good advice about this. And i got what i wanted
Old 04-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #6

a dremel would be nice if you wanted to upgrade from the one you have also a good set of hex drivers, set of nut drivers unless you have a set of 1/4 inch sockets and ratchet or handle also pliers and a work light just one that stands on its own or that you hang up and if you want to bend links a tube/pipe bender just a hand held one will work fine
firefighten_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

If you are just moving out and getting started on your own, then tools are something that you should not hesitate to purchase. Tools are a great thing to have, almost the best. Get tools, learn how to use them, and save yourself alot of money and time down the road. You never know what your going to use untill you need it.

Don't be afraid to fork out some extra cash for some nice tools. That harbor frieght dremel might only be $15, but its priceless when it goes up in smoke in your hands!

Drunk
DrunkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:20 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I think someting like this would be a first on my list:

http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Rack-G.../dp/B000ZOUB64

Decent size for a apt. I think.

I have a six-footer like this in my r/c shop
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

yes, you could make one cheaper. But since you don't really have the tools or a place to build one, this would be a good start

I've had mine for almost 10 years now, one of the best r/c related purchases I've ever made, that & a Cordless Dremel (lithion)
Old 04-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

That sucks, I'm not moving out till I can afford an actual house. I dont care if im 30 by that time lol. Though I think I'm pretty set on tools, most of the tools I use for rc which I own are in my room on my work desk. Though outside I have a lathe, oxy/acetylene setup, and a good amount of crap which you can't bring to an appartment. I also have a 1:1 which is constantly worked on, on the driveway which I'm working out of a large shed at the end of the driveway. Deffinatley would like a 2 car garage on the house to move into even if the house is smaller than the garage
super mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:16 AM   #11

When I lived in a flat, I bought a large piece of wooden worktop (from Ikea), and bolted a small vice on to it. Whenever I wanted to work on something/solder/drill etc I grabbed the worktop and put it on my dining room table. It protected the normal table, didn't matter if it got marker or soldered, and then when i'd finished, I used to put back behind the sofa when I was done.

Small drill is always handy with some hss drill bits and some brad point (wood bits) which are useful fro drilling plastic as you can stick the drill point into the plastic and it doesn't wander from the centre point like hss can sometimes.
slackman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Don't forget the soldering iron!! We have a 6ft folding table, drill, mini hacksaw, soldering iron, and a sweet magnet parts bowl. The bowl really helps keep the little parts from disappearing off the table. I also recommend you find a drill bit set that has all the hex sizes for your rigs, makes life so much easier!!
TEAM DEBEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Now i wish i could get that table from Amazon, but the space is not available for that. I might be able to put it in my room....but not sure about that. I plan to go out and purchase some stuff, so i`m going to keep all this in mind and i do have a soldering iron...theres no way i would build an rc truck/car with out one! lol. Keep the suggestions coming. I plan on getting back to my build soon!!

Last edited by ToTheMAXXcrawler; 04-29-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:43 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheMAXXcrawler View Post
Now i wish i could get that table from Amazon, but the space is not available for that. I might be able to put it in my room....but not sure about that. I plan to go out and purchase some stuff, so i`m going to keep all this in mind and i do have a soldering iron...theres no way i would build an rc truck/car with out one! lol. Keep the suggestions coming. I plan on getting back to my build soon!!
You wouldn't need to get it from amazon, most home improvement stores carry the Gorilla brand or something similar. It is actually smaller than it looks...4'wide x 25" deep. my wife has one for her scrapbooking stuff.