Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Cheap and simple DIY RC Storage Rack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 08:42 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Man, its crazy how much the cars on my rack have changed since 6 months ago.
Bmr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

terrific idea.

Some of that non-slip tool drawer liner on the shelves would keep everything secure. For a bit extra security fold over a 1/2" piece of the drawer liner at the front to make a lip.
That way if you bump a car while grabbing a different one it is more likely to stay put.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

i like this idea. to help keep them in place when there is an accidental bump i was thinking of putting eyelets at the end of each shelf (pick a side) and attach some cheap bungie cords. that way all you have to do is take off a bungie to pull the car you want out.
jebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

You guys are way over thinking it. No anti slip or bungie cords needed unless you have kids that like to bump into things.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:21 AM   #25

Very nice, I should make one.
Ax10xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmr4life View Post
You guys are way over thinking it. No anti slip or bungie cords needed unless you have kids that like to bump into things.
forget the kids - I tend to bump into things.

Half the time when i am heading out with my trucks I am running late and trying to quickly grab what I need. I can see myself bumping the top car and starting a cascade of falling RCs.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:19 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Default Ideas for this shelf

Awesome idea! I love seeing DIY stuff like this. I had some ideas for this as soon as I saw it:

It wouldn't take much to make this a free standing shelf, just some long, angled outrigger style feet in the front and a small one in the back. That way, you could move it if you had to and not have to unbolt it from the wall.

As for the bungee cord idea, yes that might work, but a much simpler solution comes to mind. Cut some 2x2 about 6" long and screw it to the front of the 2x4 that make the shelf so that it forms a lip to keep the car or truck from sliding off of the shelf.

My dad is a wood worker, I can't help but have some of it rub off on me.
neamerjell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:48 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by neamerjell View Post
Awesome idea! I love seeing DIY stuff like this. I had some ideas for this as soon as I saw it:

It wouldn't take much to make this a free standing shelf, just some long, angled outrigger style feet in the front and a small one in the back. That way, you could move it if you had to and not have to unbolt it from the wall.

As for the bungee cord idea, yes that might work, but a much simpler solution comes to mind. Cut some 2x2 about 6" long and screw it to the front of the 2x4 that make the shelf so that it forms a lip to keep the car or truck from sliding off of the shelf.

My dad is a wood worker, I can't help but have some of it rub off on me.
It may be hard to tell, but my rack is 8 feet tall. A free standing unit this tall would require at least 3 outriggers, 4 would be better. Front and back only would give it no side to side stability and I guarantee it would tip over. Those outriggers would also have to be pretty long, at least 2 feet each which means the unit would take up a good amount of floor space. If the outriggers are to short, it will teeter or fall over when placing or removing one of the top vehicles if the owner isn't careful.

The best idea I've heard so far was just adding anit-slip to the shelves. A lip on the front would not prevent the vehicles from sliding side ways and the bungee cord idea would be inconvenient.

If my RC collection doubles, I'd build a new rack the same way, except I'd make the shelves twice as long so each could hold two vehicles.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 10-28-2010 at 04:54 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #29

cool idea, thanks for sharing
Mr.Shrek is offline   Reply With Quote