Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Table saw cutoff wheel for frame rails

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Table saw cutoff wheel for frame rails

Hey all im trying to split the 1/2" square tube that i just bent up for chassis frame rails. Since i dont have access to a drill press i cant use the cutoff wheel/drill press method and i think using an angle grider with a cutoff wheel will result in imperfect lines. The one thing i do have is a Ryobi table saw ( i know its cheap but its what i got). While at home depot i saw that they had a 10" metal cutoff wheel that will fit the arbor for my saw. Has anyone used a table saw to split thier frame rails in half? I figure with the table saw fence and all, i could make really straight lines. I am aware of the dangers of a table saw. Thats why if i do it this way, ill make the rails longer than i need so i can just cut off the excess later and save precious body parts (fingers). Anyone???
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #2

The only drawback to using an abrasive cutoff blade on your table saw is that a table saw does not turn fast enough to make an efficent cut with the abrasive blade. It will get the job done if you go really slow and don't force anything. I assume you are talking about cutting steel and not aluminum. Cutting aluminum is never to be done with an abrasive wheel. Just make sure that you clean out all of the old sawdust from inside the cabnet unless you are wanting to start a fire with the sparks. I don't know if I would be brave enough to try to split 1/2" tube though, getting it guided properly is going to be really important so that you don't take it in the teeth if it binds. Just remember that if you bind a abrasive cutting wheel it will probably just fly apart into shrapnel rathen than stalling the saw like a wood blade.

Fastball
Fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i have one on my table saw. not saying this is safe or anything. but yes it will work but there will be alot of cleanup work and possiable warping. the blade is just going way to fast for this. ive done this and it pretty much just melts the metal from the speed of the cutoff wheel. and the longer the piece the more it wants to warp. and also alot of boogers to cleanup since its pretty much just melting the metal.
i do use mine for short pieces and small brackets just needs alittle cleanup thats all. i know you said you dont have acess to a drill press and this is the way i do it now. harbor frieght does have a pretty decent drill press for 50-60 dollars i got mine when it was on sale for 40 dollars. some people i have heard have used a jig saw, dont know the details. but good luck on which ever way you decide to get it done.
later
g
ggooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

fyi the rpm on my table saw runs at 5000 rpm and my drill press is at 2340 rpm and the slower speed makes the better cut than on the table saw. and ive had mine stall on the table saw and i just stopped the blade. the blade is spinning towards you so it sticks down to the table. ive cut alum. with mine no problem. isnt a dremal have a cutoff wheel? works fine.

Last edited by ggooler; 05-21-2010 at 09:10 AM.
ggooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #5

The reason that you don't cut aluminum with an abrasive wheel is that the pores in the wheel will plug up with the aluminum and throw the wheel off balance. A off balance wheel CAN viberate bad enough to expolde in your face. Not much of a problem with a Dremel wheel but a 10 to 12 inch dia wheel is a different story. We almost lost one of our employees at work when a 6" dia cutting wheel was being used improperly came apart and nearly killed him when the flying pieces partially severed the artery in his neck. Needless to say I now have a strong opinion about using abrasive cutting wheels on aluminum. To cut aluminum you can use a ordinary carbide combination blade on you table saw. I often cut down 2" thick solid aluminum plate down to size on our craftsman contractor saw. It makes one hell of a lot of noize and mess but it works great.

Fastball
Fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Im talking about cutting 1/2 steel square tubing. The cutoff disk that im gonna use is basically a huge version of the cutoff wheel that is used on an angle grinder. Ill try it out inch by inch and if i think that im gonna endanger myself, ill just quit.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

get a band saw ,borrow one or use a die grinder.....There is no part of any toy that is worth any body part in trade. I recently gain renewed respect for my table saw and I even got to keep whats left....
With that said cutting bent steel that is not laying flat on the table spells injury waiting to happen. And yes the leading edge of the blade(part you hit 1st) the leading edge is going down towards table...The other half however is going to try and lift the metal.... If your piece of bent tube isnt perfectly flat against the guide and I mean everywhere, at some point it will bind.......Best scenerio it jamms and stalls. the other 98% odds are that either the wheel will explode or the tube will go flying somewhere???????????????? I would recomend safty glasses and a face shield........ I work with this kind of stuff everyday and the dont pay me enough to attemp splitting bent tuibe on a table saw. No matter what kind of blade.... I might try splitting it on a mill with the correct blade and abror where the tube is well clamped down.
harbor freight has bandsaws electric die grinders ect...Where gloves if useing a die grinder in case it jumps(and it will !!!)

Another option is to try the local high school Im sure the shop teacher there has all the cool tools and you could help some kid get extra credit.

MOST OF ALL NO MATTER WHAT YOU CHOOSE MEASURE MANY TIMES
DOUBLE CHECK SET-UP AND HAVE SOMEONE ELSE OBSERVEING IN CASE THE WORST HAPPENS.....

GOOD LUCK AND BE CAREFULL......iTS JUST A TOY NOT WORTH ANY BODYPART. DAVE
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Once you get to the aww shit spot its too late.................Im not trying rain on your parade im trying to help you keep your body parts so you can finish this rig....Dave Man im nervouse just thiunking about it...
Dave

QUOTE=ser3100;2465491]Im talking about cutting 1/2 steel square tubing. The cutoff disk that im gonna use is basically a huge version of the cutoff wheel that is used on an angle grinder. Ill try it out inch by inch and if i think that im gonna endanger myself, ill just quit.[/QUOTE]
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
The reason that you don't cut aluminum with an abrasive wheel is that the pores in the wheel will plug up with the aluminum and throw the wheel off balance. A off balance wheel CAN viberate bad enough to expolde in your face. Not much of a problem with a Dremel wheel but a 10 to 12 inch dia wheel is a different story. We almost lost one of our employees at work when a 6" dia cutting wheel was being used improperly came apart and nearly killed him when the flying pieces partially severed the artery in his neck. Needless to say I now have a strong opinion about using abrasive cutting wheels on aluminum. To cut aluminum you can use a ordinary carbide combination blade on you table saw. I often cut down 2" thick solid aluminum plate down to size on our craftsman contractor saw. It makes one hell of a lot of noize and mess but it works great.

Fastball
You have the majority of it right here. Any soft metal on a stone wheel is bad. The reason it explodes is that the stone no longer can dissipate heat efficiently. The stone will rapidly heat up and cause larger than normal thermal growth. This forces the stone to crack and the spinning takes care of the rest. If you have a wheel that has been exposed to soft metal, dress the wheel and it will be fine. This removes the surface layer and all of the soft metal clogging up the pores.

Wes
brazwewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:42 PM   #10
RCC Addict

OK good thing i read this before attempting it. I will just hold out and either save up and get a harbor frieght bandsaw or drill press. Just hearing the roar that the table saw makes before i cut wood scares the bejesus out of me! Thanks for the heads up. Ill choose the safer alternative.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Ok, just so you know, I am ignorant when it comes to this, so I have to ask.

How do you cut (anything besides holes that is) with a drill press?
FireWire79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWire79 View Post
Ok, just so you know, I am ignorant when it comes to this, so I have to ask.

How do you cut (anything besides holes that is) with a drill press?
This is the method he is talking about, and I feel is the best way to do it. Very glad you decided to not use the table saw.

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, that makes sense now. I feel dumb, validated, but dumb none the less.
FireWire79 is offline   Reply With Quote