Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: vinyl cutter question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 01:29 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default vinyl cutter question?

Hey I was looking at getting a vinyl cutter to make custom masks and some stickers. My wife had point out this one called a cricket (sp?) but someone said that it will only cutouts of there pre made desings not ones you make. I am looking for a nice decent priced cutter/sinter and good software program to make designs any suggestions? Thanks Scott
boisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2010, 03:27 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

check ebay thats where i got the two i have one is a uscutter 12" the other is a seiki 34" both came with software
joshlindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i got my 54'' from cutter pros cutterpros.com and i paid $1000 with software its awesome
crawlmaster18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I run a 24" PCut from USCutter. You can find them around $250-$300 on Ebay direct from USCutter.
MrNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I have an old Roland CAMM-1 i bought from a guy at work for 300 bucks. Its at least 15 years old and still works great. Hunt around a bit, you can also cut directly from corel with an add-on that saves a ton of money.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have an old US Cutter that I no longer use because I had to upgrade the size. It worked great and I was one of the first ones around RCC to do cut vinyl with it, so I know it works fine.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

The Cricut will only do what is pre-programmed in their cartridges. I bought my chick one for xmas for her hobby, was hoping to use it for mine as well but....

What you are needing is a vinyl plotter. Just did a quick google search and it came up with alot of different ones.
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

You need to pick up the program "sure cuts a lot" It lets you print any svg file on your cricut from your printer. Paper, vinyl, even thin styrene is no problem...

http://www.craftedge.com/index.html

vinyl project:

These were done by creating a layered pattern that I cut out of styrene using the cricut.

And the bed

Last edited by outcastrc; 10-24-2010 at 01:06 AM.
outcastrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
Jer
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcastrc View Post
You need to pick up the program "sure cuts a lot" It lets you print any svg file on your cricut from your printer. Paper, vinyl, even thin styrene is no problem...

http://www.craftedge.com/index.html

X2, I have a cricut as well and use sure cuts a lot. I wished I had bought the larger one as the small one can only do sheets up to 6X12 maximum.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

That is great info. Thanks for posting that up outcastrc...
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I am about to buy my first cutter. I am going to go with the GCC Expert 24. Seems to be the best of the budget machines. Comes with software for $350 or so. I was looking at the cricut and some other similar ones and decided that for not that much more I could get a 24" cutter. They also guarantee 3 meter tracking, most of the cheap machines dont track well out that far and that leads to major problems.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

The cricuts a toy for sure, but when you can buy it for the wife (brownie points) and get some projects out of it for yourself its an amazing device.

Added bonus is it buys you freedom from the missus!!!
outcastrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #13
RCC Paint & Graphics

I use a US Cutters 24" Laserpoint. It's a great machine. Alot of my paint masks are done on it.
Rockthrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #14

I use surecuts alot for the cricut also. you can get the good vinyl off ebay and it works great. Just takes a little while to get good at creating images.
spoon250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I have a question for you guys.

So as I mentioned a couple posts ago I am going to be getting a 24" GCC cutter soon. I am curious how small I can cut. I know that it will be cutter specific but is there a rule of thumb to start out at? I am mainly going to be cutting paint masks so making sure I have everything scaled right from the start would be helpful.

Also what are you guys using for your paint mask material? I saw some paint mask specific vinyl online that has a different adhesive that doesnt leave residue after you take it off. Is that necessary or is regular stuff ok to use?

Thanks
Old 11-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #16
Jer
Rock Crawler

You probably couldn't cut a logo to scale ie "jeep" or "toyota" but you could cut a grill, or tailights and such. I have used just regular 3m vinyl as a mask before without it leaving residue, but it turns soft and almost gooey so I wouldn't use is as a fine detail mask.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #17
RCC Paint & Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
I have a question for you guys.

So as I mentioned a couple posts ago I am going to be getting a 24" GCC cutter soon. I am curious how small I can cut. I know that it will be cutter specific but is there a rule of thumb to start out at? I am mainly going to be cutting paint masks so making sure I have everything scaled right from the start would be helpful.

Also what are you guys using for your paint mask material? I saw some paint mask specific vinyl online that has a different adhesive that doesnt leave residue after you take it off. Is that necessary or is regular stuff ok to use?

Thanks
I've been able to cut down to 1/8" letters. You should easily get down to 1/4". Like you said, it depends on the cutter. Mine is set at the lowest cutting speed to minimize vinyl movement on small cuts. Blade pressure is very critical too. Not enough, it won't cut through the vinyl and too much, it can tear the vinyl up. You will just need to make small adjustments until it cuts the way you like.

I use Mactac 8900 removable vinyl for my paint masks. No residue and works great. I use yellow but it comes in many colors. Here's where I get mine. http://www.hhsignsupply.com/productc...-543p42763.htm
Rockthrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockthrasher View Post
I've been able to cut down to 1/8" letters. You should easily get down to 1/4". Like you said, it depends on the cutter. Mine is set at the lowest cutting speed to minimize vinyl movement on small cuts. Blade pressure is very critical too. Not enough, it won't cut through the vinyl and too much, it can tear the vinyl up. You will just need to make small adjustments until it cuts the way you like.

I use Mactac 8900 removable vinyl for my paint masks. No residue and works great. I use yellow but it comes in many colors. Here's where I get mine. http://www.hhsignsupply.com/productc...-543p42763.htm
Thanks for your help. I cant wait to start cutting masks with it! I have a feeling that I am going to be spending a lot of money on bodies in the near future.

That was the paint mask I was looking at, sounds like I should get some.