Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Scroll saw or band saw?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Scroll saw or band saw?

Hey everyone. I've done some searching on the site and have seen that alot of people are using a wide variety of saws to cut delrin. I've read that it's anything from dremels to table saws, to cnc machines. I can't go the cnc route and I would like something more than a dremel.

I am about to make a purchase of either a band saw or a scroll saw. I was wondering which seems to be better for cutting delrin. The saw will probably be bought from Lowes, Home Depot, or some store like that. Any thoughts.

Thanks, Dan.
cavie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

If your only cutting delrin, thin aluminum and no steel while shopping at those places then you can get away with a scroll saw. I paid 100 something for mine and i works great for that. If you plan on cutting mild steel and fiberglass or CF you'll need to get a band saw. Best is a variable speed and the ability to get one that accepts blades witjh the highest TPI
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I second what GULA says above ^
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:14 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

small band saw at lowes, delta 99 bucks........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:50 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

A band saw will allow you to cut delrin much faster than a scroll saw, it will also be much easier to cut strait lines with. The scroll saw will be slower, but you can cut any shape you want, the scroll saw will cut a very tight radius.
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

If all you want to cut is some delrin links, then you can start with a good old fashioned hand saw. I cut mine on the table saw and mitre saw and though they both cut well it was hard to keep the delrin from moving during the cut. I was going to get a band saw since I wanted one anyway but tried a dovetail saw first. It worked better than anything else I used. Get a cheap thin kerf hand saw use a jig to keep the blade square while your cutting and spend the money you saved on some crawler parts!
flowingmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

the only time I cut this stuff I used a pull saw availabe at Home Depot. The blad eis 2 sided with different TPI on each, its extremly shard and does a real good job on straight lines, if your going to be cutting frames and things with lots of curves then I would go for the scroll saw. heck buy em both as the pull saw was like $14 and cuts delrin quite well and quickly just my .02 worth
whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #8

I bought a inexpensive ban saw at Harbor Freight. Works way better than a scroll saw.
Jeff Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #9
RCC Addict

In all honesty, one is not a replacement for the other. I actually do my prototyping with the following:

- Band saw for longer straight cuts. (Skil Band saw for $100 from Lowes with a 15tpi blade_

- Scroll saw for curves and tighter spaced cuts, as well as cuts that are "cut-outs" within a piece of material. Drill a hole and then use the scroll saw to cut out the middle. (Dremel 16" Scroll Saw for FREE from a pal who did not think that it was robust enough for his needs - using 15tpi or 18tpi blades)

- Drill press for most of my drilling needs. I have a dremel with the "workstation" as well as a Harbor Freight 5 speed drill press. (Harbor Freight for $50)

Using all 3 gets me the best results that I could not obtain using just one of the saws. I do most of my work in Delrin, and as such, it is very easy on the tools. I would love to have a MILL, but I just do not have the space for a permanent setup space...but i do get good results using the 3 tools above. Another tool that I use quite often is the 6" chop saw from Harbor Freight. IT makes VERY quick work for cutting hardened threaded steel...and at $40 + $5 for 3 blades, it is a great product at a good price.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Completely agree with XIRTIC, use a band say with a decent homemade fence,find your drift, adjust you fence and got to town for straight cuts. I stick with 10 to 18 tooth blades, if you can find a Lennox wavey 14T you would be amazed at how well it cuts metal.

I would not use a bandsaw on any curves on styrene, you will end up with too much melt.

Use a scroll saw for your curves. a spiral blade is great if you go slow. I use a lot of 20s for my work with up to 1/8" finberglass and styrene.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #11

good info...comparisons
yellowallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

i used a scroll saw to cut the chassis on my super with great results, and just got a band saw so now i can use it for long straight cuts
T1DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

IMO a scroll saw is light duty but also due to the thin blad cuts better corners. Band saws are nice saw for just about everything. you can cut corners close then file to perfection. really cant go wrong with either. they will both prolly work.
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:42 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

tight cuts scroll saw
for everything else bandsaw, and I would only get a proxxon, no other saw for bench top has ball bearing guides and can cut wet!!!!!
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote