Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Building a tuber: looking for feedback and help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default Building a tuber: looking for feedback and help

Well i decided if the price isn't two much to try and build up a aluminum tuber. I was planning on getting some either 1/4 solid rod of aluminum or hollow, not sure if i need the strength of the solid. Also was going to pick up some alumiweld, i heard it works ok and 15 bucks doesn't seem like a bad price. Here's a picture i drew kinda laying out my ideas for what i was going to do, its just a side view, i haven't done the other views. But i plan on having the front and back coming out to a point and the side walls be also at angles with the High point below the cab area and it narrower towards the top and bottom. Let me know what you guys think and what i need to know when building this. Thanks

losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

You can use propane, but Mapp will get the parts hotter quicker therefore you'll use less gas. Have a little practice with the alumiweld, use a stainless wire brush not steel to brush parts before tinning with the alumiweld. I used Durafix with impressive results but it'll never be as good as tig welded alloy. 'Helping hand' clamps will be good to help hold parts still. Triangles are good for strength in your design.
Have a look at my Wolverine Chassis build in my sig.
WolverineX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
Got Worms?

Whats the difference between alumiweld and durafix, and if i remember right for size comparisons the skid are will be 3 inches long and from the lowest point to the highest we're looking at a 4 1/4 and about 9 9 1/2 long. The skid will be based around the delrin skid for a losi comp crawler, i'll be using a lcc tranny and axles
Old 07-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

i am curious to the dimensions you are using. I am curious about building a frame as well. However I don't have a crawler yet but the challenge of building a frame intrigues me.
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctracy View Post
i am curious to the dimensions you are using. I am curious about building a frame as well. However I don't have a crawler yet but the challenge of building a frame intrigues me.
Well there really isn't a tuber out there for a losi comp crawler, although i'm sure there is one it will bolt up too but nothing made for a lcc. I fell like i have a really good set up right now with my losi moa so I'm stealing all the mounting points off of it and building a tuber around those. I plan on rebuilding my moa this winter with the aluminum axle hop ups and hd spools with some dlux worms so I will have all my original axle stuff laying around that i might as well build me a shafty with. These are my plans anyways and if the chassis turns out to be a pile of junk i'll get a new chopper chassis for my moa and use the old losi chassis for my shafty. Once i get some extra money to get this chassis going i'll have a build thread going but there's a few things that are a higher priority before i can blow 150 bucks in a chassis that may or may not work.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I hear ya on the priority issues. Trying to get mine in order as we speak. Might have to roll the clock back 20 years and say screw it I'm gonna be irresponsible and go for it.
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctracy View Post
I hear ya on the priority issues. Trying to get mine in order as we speak. Might have to roll the clock back 20 years and say screw it I'm gonna be irresponsible and go for it.
I'm 16 i can't roll back the clock, nah just building a basher shafty isn't quite at the top of my list i need to get my comp rig complete without going broke
Old 07-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Whats the difference between alumiweld and durafix?
I'm in the UK, probably just brand names...
WolverineX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Alumiweld is the same,I have bought it and it works just like you see in the video,heat the joint first and then rub the alumiwed rod into the joint,but the joint has to be real hot.I buy mine from Eastwood,real good prices.
http://search.eastwood.com/search?as...&p=Q&ts=custom
kuatto is offline   Reply With Quote