Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Tig welder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Tig welder

have anyone used the thermal arc 95s tig welder? list your likes and dislikes please1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_4466wt_930

Last edited by Wicked_Jester; 07-30-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
RCC Addict

i think i would try something larger.
if your going to be building a lot for chassis (using it a lot)
& doing a lot of starts/stops,
watch/look at the duty cycle, the higher the #'s the better.

all-so keep in mind,
it will go out at some point (something will stop working).
& U want a unit that U can find service & parts for !

just my thoughts

the DmG
the DMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZORLAC View Post
i think i would try something larger.
if your going to be building a lot for chassis (using it a lot)
& doing a lot of starts/stops,
watch/look at the duty cycle, the higher the #'s the better.

all-so keep in mind,
it will go out at some point (something will stop working).
& U want a unit that U can find service & parts for !

just my thoughts

the DmG
I wanted to get it to learn tig welding before I step into a miller tig unit that runs $1700
Old 07-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_Jester View Post
I wanted to get it to learn tig welding before I step into a miller tig unit that runs $1700
But, that miller will last you a lifetime I'm a welder by day and have tried all diffrent types of welders. If your going to be doing it I'd spend the money for the miller. The Duty cycles like zorloc stated are a huge deal. There's nothing more frustrating than your welder going into thermal shutdown every few minuites or so.

JMO I would never buy a welder thats less than 230V.
A 110 unit may be fine for tiny things but when you want to weld something thats 1/4" thick, 110 won't cut it. Plus the bigger 230 and up units are going to have more tuning options for your arc strengths and widths. You'd be surprised at how much you find to weld once you get one

This is my soon to be home welder
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/diversion_165/

These are my (At Work) Babies
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...rowave_250_dx/
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...atic_350_350p/
and the 350p has this attached
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...poolmatic_30a/

Yea I'm spoiled lol

Last edited by addictedtonitro; 07-30-2010 at 07:21 PM.
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I run a miller mig for my day job and currently use it for my chassis, the tig would be more of a tinker toy I will look around and see that I can find used. also it does not have to be able to do aluminum so a single phase unit will work, I use a spool gun on my mig for al. If you guys have any other suggestion please feel free!

Last edited by Wicked_Jester; 07-30-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

if you're looking for a small one, the older (like 3-4 years) maxstars came in lower amp ratings, and can be found under 1000 used... but don't have pedals, so that pushes them over 1000... I top weld with miller welders daily at work and will also recommend them. Hobart too, cheaper versions of millers that are also sweet!
yjdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

That thermal arc would do you fine if you are welding rc stuff......i doubt you would ever exceed the duty cycle of that machine.It also has a decent reputation.I wouldnt hesitate for a hobby tig machine.
Speed Metal Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:13 AM   #8

For what you are going to do with the thermal arc would be fine. Yes it does not have all the features, duty cycle, etc that a more expensive unit has but you dont need arc shaping and a pulser to weld together a rc chassis. If you have the money then a Miller tig welder is superb but they are not cheap and the cost of the welder is not the only expense. Realistically you can't get into a complete setup with a lower range Miller tig for less than arount 2500 to 3000 dollars new. Now that being said I am also one of the spoiled ones in that at home I have a Miller Syncrowave 300 with a water cooler with all the bells and whistles that I would not trade for anything. The difference is that this welder makes me money on the side welding 1:1 roll cages and fuel cells so I actually use the additional functionality and power. Besides, if you find that you really enjoy tig down the road then you will be able to sell that little thermal arc unit to another beginner for a reasonable price and move up into the more expensive units.

P.S. You don't need a three phase welder for aluminum, you just need a AC/DC unit with high frequency. My big miller is a 220-480vac single phase unit, granted it pulls 100amps from the wall at full throttle but it is single phase.

Fastball
Fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_Jester View Post
have anyone used the thermal arc 95s tig welder? list your likes and dislikes please1
0[/url]
if you are looking to learn the basics and start to tinker this is absolutely fine. I have owned this for 7 months and love it. It is scratch start so there is no active power control via pedal but it will do the job. I'm building 2 tubers for my son and I and it's worked well for that. I've also welded much thicker stock for other projects. Have not used the stick yet but am on my 3rd bottle. My local welding shop carries this and has been helpful.. I'd buy from a local guy though.. May be few dollars more but you can't replace the help of a good shop.
Famof5Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote