Default lathe

does anyone know of a good mini lathe for a decent price , new or used
thanks
rb
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
RCC Addict

The 7x10 mini lathe is on sale at Harbor Freight for $500.....if you grab one of their %20 off coupons from the paper, then you could grab one for $400. Verify with the store their price/availability. If you need the coupons, I have about 15 of them here at the house. (Sometimes the store pricing is different than the website.)

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-...the-93212.html

Amazon has a FOX Mini lathe for $485...free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/M1015-6-Inch-1...2266750&sr=8-6
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

xirtic, have you used the harbor lathe? I am interested in their mini-mill, just wondering exactly how crappy the lathe is, because I'm sure the mill isn't far off.
yjdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Lots of info about the harbor lathes and others here.

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Default.htm
CrawlinClodKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

You can print the coupon online too, check the tool section on pirate 4x4 for a harbor freeight coupon thread.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:05 AM   #6
RCC Addict

thanks everyone for the feed back looks like im going shopping this weekend
Old 08-20-2010, 06:09 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjdavid View Post
xirtic, have you used the harbor lathe? I am interested in their mini-mill, just wondering exactly how crappy the lathe is, because I'm sure the mill isn't far off.

They actually get pretty good reviews, and are based on the same components as many of the other units out there. I do not own one...I have been researching these and mills for the past few months. I ended up purchasing a CNC Router (last Monday), and it should be here in the next few weeks. I figured that most of what I produce is flat material, so this would be the best choice for me at the time....but I am sure that a lathe is in my near future....or a 4th axis for my router.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:11 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
thanks everyone for the feed back looks like im going shopping this weekend

If you cannot find/print the coupon, I can probably drop one off...there are 4-5 that my parents pulled for me sitting in my glovebox.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
They actually get pretty good reviews, and are based on the same components as many of the other units out there. I do not own one...I have been researching these and mills for the past few months. I ended up purchasing a CNC Router (last Monday), and it should be here in the next few weeks. I figured that most of what I produce is flat material, so this would be the best choice for me at the time....but I am sure that a lathe is in my near future....or a 4th axis for my router.
What router did you windup getting?
McTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #10
RCC Addict

MOST of my stuff is made out of Delrin and are smaller pieces, so I went with this unit:

http://www.zenbotcnc.com/merchant2/m..._Code=Products

I also have little/no experience with CNC, so this unit has a pretty good user community. This unit is big enough to make small runs of parts, and a few chassis out of one sheet. It is by no means an INDUSTRIAL unit.

Last edited by xirtic; 08-20-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

i bought my 7x10 locally for ~$350 out the door. It was on sale for $400, then i used the 20% off.

I don't like the lathe. It's huge considering how small the work envelope is. I spent about a week tearing it down to clean and set it up. I can't get it aligned right and there is so much backlash the dials are useless. The tailstock requires dumb-luck to align. I thought i needed powerfeed/threading capabilities, but i really don't. I bought a lathe to build stuff, not to have something to fix.

I would like to swap to a taig when i can. I'll probably CNC it as i could use my mill's electronics so all i would need is motors, mounts and an encoder for the spindle.
ToyTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
MOST of my stuff is made out of Delrin and are smaller pieces, so I went with this unit:

http://www.zenbotcnc.com/merchant2/m..._Code=Products

I also have little/no experience with CNC, so this unit has a pretty good user community. This unit is big enough to make small runs of parts, and a few chassis out of one sheet. It is by no means an INDUSTRIAL unit.
That is cool. I need one of those for the house. We use large routers in the shop www.multicam.com. I can get stuff cut but it is not like having your own.
McTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I have had both US and foreign lathes. I will never again get a cheap chinese lathe or any other machine tool for that matter. The problem is that one will buy the cheap HF lathe or mill because it is cheap and they think they are only going to turn a few links and maybe a couple of other items. Then after you have it for a while, you get more comfortable and take on bigger, and more precise projects. Then you are stuck with a lathe that will not hold tolerance and is not big enough.
Think of the biggest project you may tackle and size a lathe or mill on that. Also take into account a space to put them. My Bridgeport weighs in at a little more than 1600lbs and the lathe about 1300lbs.
As for make, go older USA made if you can. I am a big fan of old american iron. The older lathes are more accurate and cheaper. Keep your eyes on your local craigslist. Drop me a line if you have any other questions.
Steve

What I have collected over the years ;)
STJ7780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:37 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
If you cannot find/print the coupon, I can probably drop one off...there are 4-5 that my parents pulled for me sitting in my glovebox.
thanks for the offer josh gotta puy it on hold for a bit , the wife was kind enough to explain what will happen to me if i buy one ( yes i am a wus) but i will help you play with your new mill LOL
Old 08-21-2010, 06:41 AM   #15
RCC Addict

What I have collected over the years ;)
[/QUOTE]my dream, got an extra room in your basement LOL thanks for the input steve
Old 08-21-2010, 06:52 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
thanks for the offer josh gotta puy it on hold for a bit , the wife was kind enough to explain what will happen to me if i buy one ( yes i am a wus) but i will help you play with your new mill LOL

Ahhhhh......the joys of combined marital finances. I am so so so lucky that I convinced my wife that it was best to have seperate accounts so that we could do what we want without effecting the other person's spending. Now...9 years later....it still works. It also does not hurt to get big things delivered to the office.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

No problem

Quote:
It also does not hurt to get big things delivered to the office.
HAHA Couldn't have said it better myself.
Steve
STJ7780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I too have to agree with an old American machine! my dad and I restored a Logan, it has been a fun experience and it works great! so much more rigid than our Chinese drill press! and were only in to it for $450 total
yjdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJ7780 View Post
No problem

HAHA Couldn't have said it better myself.
Steve

The supplier just gave me the warning that it is shipping tomorrow.....so it will be here Thursday next week. Gotta warn the mailroom guys to drop it in my suv before the wife sees it. (Yes...I work with my wife.....but we drive separately.....and I get home a few hours before she does.)
Old 08-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The supplier just gave me the warning that it is shipping tomorrow.....so it will be here Thursday next week. Gotta warn the mailroom guys to drop it in my suv before the wife sees it. (Yes...I work with my wife.....but we drive separately.....and I get home a few hours before she does.)

Damn, that sounds like me! Had to chuckle a bit!
prophetz is offline   Reply With Quote