Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Help me choose a welder.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Help me choose a welder.

OK, I've got it narrowed down to a couple choices. Need help choosing which one and why you would choose one over the other.

Hobart Handler 140 mig
or
Lincoln Easy mig 140 or Lincoln Weld Pak 140

Dont know the difference in the two Lincolns other than the easy mig is a little over $100 more and the specs I read for both seemd to be the same.

Would love a Millermatic 140 but would need to sell a kidney to afford one of those.

I've already got a Lincoln 125 that I've had for years but it's been well used and abused and needs replaced.

My budget is $450-500.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I can't speak for the others, but our Weld Pak 140HD has made me look like a real welder. I have done everything from tack welds between 24guage sheet and brake tubing, to stitch welding 18 guage sheet and tube (for a Porsche exhaust tip no less), to welding 3/16in thick seat belt tabs onto a roll cage. Definitely pick up a bottle of 75/25 Argon/CO2 to get the full potential. The gas weld quality is beautiful once you get the hang of it.

Obviously the welder is somewhat limited by the 110 volt supply and 140amp output. Double pass is required for 1/4in and 5/16in, and it can't really go thicker than that. I did weld together two pieces of 3/8in rod for a small tube bender, but it is far from a proper joint. The duty cycle on this little guy is surprisingly good. Don't expect it to do production work, but it is perfect if you have to run a bead then fit the next piece.
vw_thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I have the Lincoln 180C. It is a 220v machine, and if you can gather up another hundred bucks or so, it is worth the extra money. It is built more for commercial use, and has a higher duty cycle. Plus it will weld up to 1/2 inch. I love mine!
Pintokiller79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Do you have 220 avalible? if you do I would step up to a 220 machine, they tend to work better cost less to run and last longer. I personaly like the Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ with MVP™ but at $1200 out of your budget. This one does both 110 and 220.

Of your 2 choices I would take the lincoln, it seems to be the better machine overall and Lincoln has better parts support in my experiance.
thumper68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I was considering a 110 machine because of the convenience of useing it about anywhere. I have 220 available that a better welder requires so I choose performance over convenience.So a 220 welder it is.

Now is the Lincoln going to be that much better of a tool over the Miller made Hobart or is it all just personal preffrence?
Old 09-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Like rc the best thing to do is visit a local welding supply and buy one of the brands that they carry, you don't have to buy from them but local support for parts and supplies is awesome.

I've had a Hobart, and when i needed a part even though the store carried miller it took 2 weeks to get a new liner for the gun. They stock the ones for miller and lincoln.
thumper68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I'd say step up to a Hobart 220v welder, the lightest duty 220 Hobart is what I have, and it is awesome!
yjdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
TEAM MODERATOR

Miller or Hobart. Anything else is second rate IMO. The little 110 Hobart I have has done great for me for many many years including building my 1:1. Would I like a 220? Sure, really opens up your options. The 110 welders can hold their own if all your doing is light fab/repair work though.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #9

Personally, anything Hobart/Miller, or anything from the Miller family I would recommend. Miller has, hands down, the BEST customer service of an in the industry. We have dealt with Lincoln and Miller many times over the year and Miller has time and time again bent over backwards to help out our shop whre Lincoln has been mediocre at best. MILLER ALL THE WAY!
Jerry3567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:08 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I personally would get the miller, but the lincoln is another good welder.
I use have the lincoln 135 and it was a good welder.
Kev808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I have the Hobart handler 140 and I love mine. I can weld sheet metal all the way up to 3/8" thick steeld plate if I bevel the edges. it will also weld 1/8" aluminum plate too. if you buy the spool gun for it. but for welding steel I love it.
iceman320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

The hobart 140 will be a good machine for you. They last forever and are built by miller.

At full amp's they will run for about 10min between cool down cycles (duty cycle)
Unless you are going to be in a production type of situation you dont need 220.

Absolutely run gas 75/25, flux core wire is garbage and you would not be happy with the end result.

Jason
jhghah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #13

Get whatever your local welding shop deals with most. If a problem arises, they will be able to take care of it much easier than if it is a brand they never deal with. That being said, get a Miller.
Tyler C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:46 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Well, the most important consideration is what you plan on using it for. Small, R/C projects? 1:1 projects using heavy material? Both? Something else? Are you only considering MIGs?

Money not being an object, the answer would be a high power 220V MIG with infinite voltage and wire speed adjustment so it could be turned down enough for thin gauge work. If you're on a budget and will do mainly thin stuff, I'd recommend any of a variety of 110V welders. Be aware, though, that the cheaper Lincoln/Hobart welders commonly available at Home Depot and Lowe's are a lesser model than you would get at a proper welding supply shop. They aren't your typical high quality Lincoln and Hobart equipment. I was told by a Lincoln rep that they're a much more cheaply made welder so buy with caution. You may not be better off than buying a Harbor Freight welder in some cases. So just do your research.

Personally, I had a Lincoln SP135 110V welder and it was fine, but I wanted more power for 1:1 projects so I sold it and picked up a 220V 175 amp Lincoln and love it. Turned down all the way it's cool enough to weld lightweight stuff, but cranked up it's plenty stout for anything I'll ever need.

Good luck!
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Hobart Handler took my sami project from this
....to this
From suspension and frame to exhaust work for the diesel swap - not a single problem with any welds. I've had it about 5 years now. Not to mention the welder has been dropped numerous times as well as being shipped cross country in nothing more than a cardboard box. For the convenience of a 110 thats hard to beat.
prifral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

the lincoln is a good choice if ur going to occasionally use it and all u have locally is a lowes or similar box store.... but the hobart/miller is the way to go if you're going o really use the hell out is a welder...

the older lincoln arc welders were worth their weight in gold. but the stuff nowadays is lesser quality
irishgunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I ended up getting the Hobart Handler 140 mig. There is a larger gas opperated Miller welder/generator at work if I need to do any thing major.I also own a Smith little torch out fit for brazeing so I think I've got any RC needs covered.