Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: delrin vs aluminum $$$

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default delrin vs aluminum $$$

I bought a lathe and wanted to try making a set of wheels. thought i would start with delrin because of cost! haha
yeah right!!! 4" delrin rod is $50+ft and 4" alum rod is $60+ft.

so I still might start with delrin as soon as i get some tools for the lathe. thinking about a simple dish type wheel maybe drill some holes in them. not sure yet still have a ways to go to finish my basement project.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Depends who you get the Delrin from. I got lucky and found some alumnum blocks from my machine shop teacher and got busy . For you if you have a 4-jaw chuck, just get the block "roughly centered" and go from there. I think it sounds like a cool project, just remember that both aluminum and Delrin produce long, nasty, stringy chips so Stop the feed for a sec to break them and they won't get wrapped all over the work.

Few quick tips:
Delrin machines a lot like aluminum, just keep a nice air feed on it to keep it from melting and to keep the chips at bay and life's cool!

Aluminum *LOVES*:
Kerosene (be careful naturally)
Charcoal lighter fluid (same story)
Marvel Mystery Oil
WD-40
or any thin oil that smears well, gives a much better surface finish and prevents the aluminum from "galling" and sticking to itself or the tools (never ends well!)

Other than that, POST PICS when done
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

thats why i want rod I only have a 3jaw at the moment :( thanx for the tips I'll need them
I have played with it for about 10min.I dug out an old after market shifter handle and stuck it in there.I cant wait to get some real time on this thing.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

It's still cheaper than the carbon fiber I want. Or titanium
Monstergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
thats why i want rod I only have a 3jaw at the moment :( thanx for the tips I'll need them
I have played with it for about 10min.I dug out an old after market shifter handle and stuck it in there.I cant wait to get some real time on this thing.
Ok gotcha, yeah well I just made do with what I had on the mill I say just take it slow and maybe learn on wood first, its a lot easier to work with and you will learn things good. Just remember to NOT crash the machine since it never ends well
Old 10-13-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Get yourself a couple of carbide tools. And get a good, sharp carbide insert, specific for aluminum. Any aluminum insert will work fine for delrin as well. As for being stringy, delrin is, but aluminum should chip well. If it isn't, you are most likely not taking a deep enough cut, and/or not pushing it hard enough. It should chip in "C" or "6" shapes. I am currently working on my own sets of wheels too. It's a fun project, but I get to cheat and use CNC machines. Make sure you post pics as you go. It'll be cool to see what you come up with. Oh, and unless you are making wheels for a super, you should be able to use as small as 2.5" bar. Check this out, it should be plenty:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-piece-aluminum...item45f5f27b45

Last edited by Mayze; 10-13-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Mayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:10 AM   #7
sim
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like you're making some Supers. Did you end up getting that combo machine? Post up pics if you have time. I wouldn't mind learning a trick or two before I cut my wheels too.
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:23 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstergt View Post
It's still cheaper than the carbon fiber I want. Or titanium
yeah i was talking about titanium last night with my brother. not high on my list at the moment hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Ok gotcha, yeah well I just made do with what I had on the mill I say just take it slow and maybe learn on wood first, its a lot easier to work with and you will learn things good. Just remember to NOT crash the machine since it never ends well
what do you mean "crash" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayze View Post
Get yourself a couple of carbide tools. And get a good, sharp carbide insert, specific for aluminum. Any aluminum insert will work fine for delrin as well. As for being stringy, delrin is, but aluminum should chip well. If it isn't, you are most likely not taking a deep enough cut, and/or not pushing it hard enough. It should chip in "C" or "6" shapes. I am currently working on my own sets of wheels too. It's a fun project, but I get to cheat and use CNC machines. Make sure you post pics as you go. It'll be cool to see what you come up with. Oh, and unless you are making wheels for a super, you should be able to use as small as 2.5" bar. Check this out, it should be plenty:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-piece-aluminum...item45f5f27b45
yes sir making a set for my super bully tuber. but i didnt even think of wood thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim View Post
Sounds like you're making some Supers. Did you end up getting that combo machine? Post up pics if you have time. I wouldn't mind learning a trick or two before I cut my wheels too.
not yet still trying to sell this lathe. didnt think it would take this long. plus I've been doing alot of reading and almost everyone says to buy seperate machines.but money is a factor for me.I dont have the cash to drop $1k on a cheap mill with tools.we will see how it plays out
Old 10-14-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
No idea what I'm doing

Where are you buying your aluminum from? It says your location is Westminster....is that CO?
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #10
sim
Quarry Creeper

Good thinking to use the Prazi to make the lathe cuts before you swap it with the combo. Hope it all works out. I've got some flimsy machines (Sherlines) so I always prefer Delrin. I work so slow with anything else that it's painful to make mistakes.

Last edited by sim; 10-14-2010 at 08:06 AM.
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
RCC Addict

"crash" I mean by like the tool smashing into the chuck or the jaws

In general "crash" means something didn't go right and 2 things that weren't supposed to meet... did
Old 10-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Where are you buying your aluminum from? It says your location is Westminster....is that CO?
yes sir colo. called alremy in henderson. got any other place's i should call?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim View Post
Good thinking to use the Prazi to make the lathe cuts before you swap it with the combo. Hope it all works out. I've got some flimsy machines (Sherlines) so I always prefer Delrin. I work so slow with anything else that it's painful to make mistakes.
yeah not sure I'm going to go that route yet.

Quote:
"crash" I mean by like the tool smashing into the chuck or the jaws

In general "crash" means something didn't go right and 2 things that weren't supposed to meet... did
thats what I thought just wanted to make sure
Old 10-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #13
RCC Addict

No problem, i hate it when people crash stuff since it never ends well so that's all . Just wondering how your going to get the holes drilled for mounting the locking rings
Old 10-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
No problem, i hate it when people crash stuff since it never ends well so that's all . Just wondering how your going to get the holes drilled for mounting the locking rings
well i think i will make a template for all the holes i need drilled. then stick them on the drill press before I do any lathe work!
sound ok?
Old 10-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
well i think i will make a template for all the holes i need drilled. then stick them on the drill press before I do any lathe work!
sound ok?
Sounds cool, I made my rims up (almost entirely) on a CNC mill so that's all. Only lathe operation was to turn the excess square metal off...
Old 10-15-2010, 05:13 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Sounds cool, I made my rims up (almost entirely) on a CNC mill so that's all. Only lathe operation was to turn the excess square metal off...
got any pictures you would share?
Old 10-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
got any pictures you would share?
Sure, here's the rim in a "custom holder" (yea its just a block of aluminum with 2 holes on the bottom and 2 screws that go into the bottom of the rim to hold it in place for tapping...) The only lathe part was to spin the blocks down. Even then "in theory" I could have done it in the mill but I did the holes clean through the rim (bad idea when I CNC tapped them) but yeah. I think making rims can either be a full mill, full lathe, or parts of either part. Depends what you got on hand

Old 10-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Sure, here's the rim in a "custom holder" (yea its just a block of aluminum with 2 holes on the bottom and 2 screws that go into the bottom of the rim to hold it in place for tapping...) The only lathe part was to spin the blocks down. Even then "in theory" I could have done it in the mill but I did the holes clean through the rim (bad idea when I CNC tapped them) but yeah. I think making rims can either be a full mill, full lathe, or parts of either part. Depends what you got on hand

thats the same look i thought of for my wheels. anyways.

how can i do the hex's on a lathe? dont i need a mill for those?
Old 10-16-2010, 12:54 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Your going to need either a mill. There's 2 ways to do it:
Use a 5C collet holder and mill it out one side at a time. You would still need to drill clearance holes on the side AND drill the center out as big as possible
use a CNC mill to do the job real quick "program it up and watch er rip"

I am going to make the hex for my rims as soon as I can get my hands on my taps so I will try and make a little step by step process for that if you need help. It can be done its just like everything else, it takes a little patience and time
Old 10-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Your going to need either a mill. There's 2 ways to do it:
Use a 5C collet holder and mill it out one side at a time. You would still need to drill clearance holes on the side AND drill the center out as big as possible
use a CNC mill to do the job real quick "program it up and watch er rip"

I am going to make the hex for my rims as soon as I can get my hands on my taps so I will try and make a little step by step process for that if you need help. It can be done its just like everything else, it takes a little patience and time
wish i had a cnc lol