Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: thermal arc 95s welder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default thermal arc 95s welder

So what do I think about this welder

good price, for a hobby grade welder. Just pick it up today. In the first stages of trying it out.

Was in the welding store picking up my normal stuff, and asked about the welder to the sales men. Well he didn't tell me much about it that I didn't know about anyway. The welder was on sale picked it up for under $400, so a home depo welder is more than that, and their junk. I haven't seen alot of feed back about this welder so I am going to try. But I'm still in the first stages of it if I like it or not.

first is quality of the case of the welder. the out side looks good for a small welder. most super comp rigs are bigger than this welder, but looks good and well made.

the tig and gas line are also well made. The gas line is a outer braded fabric so better for the line so no kinks, unless you really pull the line. the tig torch looks like it will hold up as well. And I think that my miller and this thermal arc will take the same brass inserts aswell as the tungsten rods,and ceramic cups. So no hunting for different parts for the two welders. Witch makes a the 95s look real good for $400. So what that means that if you welding store has miller tig parts they will have parts for the 95s.

The one thing that I will have to get use to is that is a grounded start on the 95s. So what that is is the tungten tip has to be tuching the steel before you can start welding. to me that is the bigest problam with it. It's going to be hard to change welding habits, from the miller to this. the different part from my miller to this is, that the miller is a foot feed and auto start gas on regulated gauge. the 95s is self start and manual gas on. set the gas regulator to what you want(like 10psi) and fine tune it with the nob on the tig. (the tig torch has a nob that you turn with your finger).

So all in all the 95s welds are vary nice, and witch when I'm used to welding with it. it will only get better.

And the two welders are two different welders. the miller is a vary good welder. but it also is $2000 welder. The thing is that I'm used to welding with the set up, and to be fair to the 95s. I will need more time welding with it to make a good side by side comparison between the two welders.

the price of the 95s $418 tax included
the miller 185 was right at $1950 six years ago,and that was a extention cord. that was right at $180

And the last thing that I like about the 95s is the size, and being 110v. I can take it about any place that I want. the miller is 220v and big. hard to pack on your shoulder like the 95s.

So if your looking to get one. In my own option, for the price it's a good deal, at this stage of use. If this is any help to anyone let me know I'll leave more feedback after some use.
spyderwebbcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

pics of the welds, vary pleased with the quality of them

Old 11-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

those look like really nice joints! and thats not too expensive for a welder either!
thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I was looking at these they seem nice. Honestly even with the frequency start on the big lincoln that a buddy of mine has. I still scratch start I think I could jump right into one of these..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

it's getten thier, really hard to get use too. from my miller I'm using my foot to start the torch, and to fine tune the heat with the foot. know it's all manuall and hard to get use to. but After getting used for a day it little better.will see after using for some time it should be a good investment,

Last edited by spyderwebbcustoms; 11-21-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

how about a pic of the welding machine,id like to see the size of it
mar618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar618 View Post
it's about the size of a shoe box perhaps size 10 shoe box, the suecase it comes in is about the size of a good size brefcase, so not all that big
will get pics tom.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I'm very interested in hearing further experience with this machine.
@tw!ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I was kind of afaid of getting it, but for know I really think it's worth the $ to spend, the next closes tig welder I found was a miller at $1100, so the $420 was, I think in my mine worth it. the package of the welder is nice and small so will fit anyware so make it nice for small places. the bad thing is it will only do mild steel, stainless, and will not do aulm. getting better at welding with it. it's doing as good as my miller at making clean stong welds, so vary vary happy with the $400 welder. the biggest thing I like about it the size of it can have it right next to you on the table, and fine tune the heat without leaving your seat so nice not moving from work station to welder to ajust things. So if this helps for the people looking to get one I would get it. If I had to buy it again, the answer would be yes.

one thing about the welder is that it does not like the steel being the lest bit dirty at all. the miller dosen't mind as much, becuse of the foot feed. you can poor the heat to the steel for a sec. to clean the tugstain tip. the 95s haven't found a fast way to do it yet. have to take it out, and walk over to the grinder.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
the deal isen't that big at all but, don't let the size not make you buy. It's been looking good on welding quaility. it'll run with big $ welders. the real test will come here in a few days when I go out side with it. going to have a big project linded up for it. be welding up 1'8th in. wall gates for the horses. Will see if the duty cycle is up to do heavy stick welding for a day.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

let us know how it does on the other welds your got planned,i mite have to get 1 myself
Old 11-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I've been looking into one of these for awhile now, I will probably pick one up in April.
F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

little project, 8' flat bed for chevy 1 ton. the qualitty of weld is good. the bad have to v grove the 6'' c-channal to get any heat for welding the seams up, but that's was my thoughts of how I would have to do it. all in all, I would bid a job again and use this welder again, just takes alittle bit longer to weld. I'm vary pleased with this welder, I would buy it again if need be.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

What rod's did you use 6011? 6018?
Old 12-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

when you say home depot junk, what welder are you talking bout there name brand welder....the only stick welder i see at HD is the lincoln 225 arc welder and also lincoln migs no other named welders........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re. View Post
What rod's did you use 6011? 6018?
5/32 6018 been working the best. have tryed 7018e but its too much for the welder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
when you say home depot junk, what welder are you talking bout there name brand welder....the only stick welder i see at HD is the lincoln 225 arc welder and also lincoln migs no other named welders........bob

the last time I was in HD they had the hobart welders, I smoked a couple of them, thats why I said that. but they must have changed companys then. lincoln are good welders but not a tig,stick combo pack like I wanted.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #17
WWW.THEROXBOX.COM

I cannt wait, Mine will be here friday ... thanks again for the help
The Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

cool, glad I could help out. hope you like it. the best part about the welder has a year waranty. So I'm pooren the coals to it to see if it"ll hold up
Old 12-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

in your first pics,were you doing tig on solid bar or using tube ? do you think it will tig 1/4 brake line ?
Old 12-12-2010, 06:47 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
in your first pics,were you doing tig on solid bar or using tube ? do you think it will tig 1/4 brake line ?
Yes, it would be perfectly fine for .250" brake line.