Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: My carry case

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My carry case

I was at the video store dropping of A-Team ( good movie by the way) , and on my way out the door I noticed some hardcase console storage boxes for 10.00 So I grabbed on and this is what I got out of it . It stores my radio, charger , batteries , 2 tins with 1 nuts and bolts and 1 allens. I attatched two velcro straps to the outside and strapped my crawler to it . I have a bit of room for some drivers and whatever else I can think of. Its kind of a tool so I put it in here .

I changed my shock posotion and forgot to strap down my hood , its not broken . yet!
camobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
0 0

Pretty good deal.
The case I'm using is a little more expensive but still a good deal I think. It holds both of my dx3e's, charger w/accessories and a ton of lipos. I'll have to get a picture of mine tomorrow but this is it on the website.

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch...ase-39196.html
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:23 AM   #3
Who's your Daddy-0!

I sell the ones like Camo's for $20 so yea $10 is a good deal I have a DX6i and a DX3R, 8 lipos, extra RX's in one case! Mine have pick away foam so everything has it's own space/slot if you will.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
I sell the ones like Camo's for $20 so yea $10 is a good deal I have a DX6i and a DX3R, 8 lipos, extra RX's in one case! Mine have pick away foam so everything has it's own space/slot if you will.
Sounds like a good setup. Do you have a link?
ram_tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:21 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Looks great

Only thing i don't like are those LiPo's being in there like that.
I've seen a member of the local flying club lose his car after putting his LiPo's into a case like that
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

what would make my lipos go up in flames surrounded by foam ? Heres where I used to keep em IM pretty sure if the can take a 10 foot tumble down a rock pile or a 30 ft jump in my rustler folowed by another 10 feet of cartwheels . They are pretty safe in there.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
I guess is a bad pic , everything has a hole , I only half dug out the radio hole . And Im probably gonna straighten out my dangerous lipo slots .
Old 12-20-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by camobob View Post
what would make my lipos go up in flames surrounded by foam ? Heres where I used to keep em
IM pretty sure if the can take a 10 foot tumble down a rock pile or a 30 ft jump in my rustler folowed by another 10 feet of cartwheels . They are pretty safe in there.
Your family, house, belongings your choice

I have personally witnessed LiPo's ignite for no apparent reason over 20 mins after a flight.
I've witnessed LiPo's appear to self ignite right after a smooth landing, while being strapped into a fuselage, while being charged and while being stored.

I watched a club member safely land his plane, remove his LiPo, place it carefully into his Tx case, sat and talked to him for a few mins over a coffee then help as much as i could after we noticed smoke coming out of his car.

Most batteries have the capacity to ignite, but because of the thin membrane used in LiPo's though then tend to be more unpredictable than say NiMh's.
Over discharge, an impact in the wrong spot can both cause invisible damage that can cause self ignition at pretty much any time.

Personally i place my LiPo's on a LiPo bag, then inside a small petty cash type lockable tin.
At home i then store this tin in the fireplace or if this is being used out on the balcony well aware from anything flammable.
Being a responsible adult who loves his family i am of the opinion that 40 secs extra work and $20 are both s a small investment if it helps me keep my family a little safer

We all have different experiences, ethics and levels of responsibility though so as i say your family, house, belongings etc your choice
If i read something had happened and i hadn't said anything i would have kicked meself, my conscience is clear now though

Cheers
Mark
Old 12-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Well thanks for your concern , The pic was in my desk drawer in my shed about 20 feet from my house and the desk is all metal and the most flamable thing in there is a bottle of liquid tape and whatever is left in my chainsaw. I charge and store in my shed on my metal desk . And thats about all the saftey precautions I take. But now that Im informed I guess I will have to take responsibility for my actions , knock on wood. On a lighter note I would rather them start fire in there and be able to grab the whole case and give it a chuck into a trash can or empty parking spot. And I suppose you always discharge your static electricity before you pump your gas too I do http://gizmodo.com/255643/discharge-...ic-demons-away
Old 12-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Great idea looks like it works well.
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Well thanks for your concern , The pic was in my desk drawer in my shed about 20 feet from my house and the desk is all metal and the most flamable thing in there is a bottle of liquid tape and whatever is left in my chainsaw. I charge and store in my shed on my metal desk . And thats about all the saftey precautions I take. But now that Im informed I guess I will have to take responsibility for my actions , knock on wood. On a lighter note I would rather them start fire in there and be able to grab the whole case and give it a chuck into a trash can or empty parking spot. And I suppose you always discharge your static electricity before you pump your gas too I do http://gizmodo.com/255643/discharge-...ic-demons-away

No worries

Sounds like your sorted once you get your stuff home, just be careful when travelling.

I guess if i had personally witnessed several fires that were a direct result of a static discharge at a petrol station then yep i'd do what ever i could do within reason to reduce that risk.
Statistically though the chances of a static discharge while filling up and that then causing a fire is extremely low.
You'd have to be wearing exactly the wrong type of clothes, the humidity and weather would have to be exactly wrong, your car seat coverings would have to be exactly wrong and many many more things would need to gel exactly for it to occur.

LiPo fires on the other hand can happen at any time, any place.
Certain things would need to happen in series granted, but spend much time at a RC club where LiPo's are used by most members and there's a damn good chance you'll witness a LiPo fire.

Lastly,
A LiPo bag is what $10
The petty cash tin/safe thing i bought was again $10

Placing them in the LiPo bag takes no more effort or time than placing them in your foam case.

So all we're really talking about here is $20 and no more effort to dramatically reduce any POSSIBLE risk.

Damn good investment in my mind, but as i say, your stuff your choice

Cheers
Mark
Old 12-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
And I suppose you always discharge your static electricity before you pump your gas too I do
i'm not sure how fires at gas stations get started, but MB tried to start a gas fire by static electricity in a station type deal and couldn't .........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuZxFL9cGkI heres one more http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8Qfmr1wQb0 , I see this all the time (not the fires) especially in the winter months when its "too cold" to sit by your pump even though there are at least two warning signs on every pump about not leaving your pump unattended. And it always seems to be women staying in their car till the pump is done and all those vapors had a chance to build up . And yes I did see once in real life . So I suppose we are in the same boat about saftey precautions got to see it to believe it . I will drive down the road if I see a hose in the tank and the driver in the car. Oh and MB tried it with a cell phone . This should probably be sent to chit chat now

Last edited by camobob; 12-20-2010 at 02:29 PM. Reason: worded wrong
Old 12-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

That's mental, i bet the gal thinks twice before fixing her jumper next time when filling up

I'm all for taking risks.
I've raced cars, motorbikes, push-bikes and anything else i can the vast vast majority of my life, been in risky jobs etc,
When it comes to my family though i refuse to take risks with them.
If anything happened to the kids as a direct result of any of my actions or mistakes then i would not be able to live with the consequences.

So in comparison $20 and a few extra seconds each time i take my cars out or charge my packs is an insignificant investment.

As you say though we all have our own experiences and make our choices, might sound a bit stupid but if i hadn't at least tried to warn you i'd have felt shite.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Agreed but now you cant pump gas without touching your hand to metal before touching your pump . Merry X Mas
Old 12-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Agreed but now you cant pump gas without touching your hand to metal before touching your pump . Merry X Mas

Over here you never get out your car, they have attendants that fill up your car
To the point of, when we were last over there the Mrs didn't know how the pump worked

Thanks Merry Xmas to you and your family hope you have a good one.