Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: to custom tube chassis builders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default to custom tube chassis builders

ive been thinking about building some one off tube chassis, to everyone that builds such rigs, what are yall using? tig weld? brazing? mig weld? any feedback would be greatly appreciated
longviewskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2011, 05:28 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Silver solder is the biggest way to do it, brazing next, then various forms of welding.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Um silver solder is what you use for brazing. TIG is the ultimate, but you need to be good at it. It can also be done with mig. A few people will tack with mig or tig then braze the rest of the joint with silver solder. They all work.
CrawlinClodKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:36 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

i used brake line (1/4") that we had laying around the shop and a mig welder. just takes time. good luck and have fun doing it. chris1
78bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Harris Safty-Silv 56, Harris Stay brite flux, 3/16 solid steel rod and a cheap torch set up from Home Depot. I use a vise and vise-grip pliers to do my bends. Solid rod doesn't kink so you do not have to have a fancy bender.

This question has been asked 100 times too so you could search for better and more in depth answers. Good luck and just have fun, steel is still pretty cheap fo if the first one sucks just sell it as some libral arts student project.....er' whater.

-Jeff
BladeMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

thanks everybody!!!!!!!!
longviewskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:28 AM   #7

Using a a hand held brake line bender works well to make smooth bends easily. The tig welding will be the strongest.
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Using a a hand held brake line bender works well to make smooth bends easily. The tig welding will be the strongest.
i'm sure it is, but i tried to tear apart some sample joints i brazed with 3/16" brakeline and safety-silv 45 and after multiple tries i rip apart the brake line without any harm done to safety-silv brazed joint ....for just under 35 bucks for a trigger torch and mapp gas kit and 20 dollar safety-silv kit i got going with brazing for bout 55 bucks ........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

One of the advantages of welding is you can fill gaps if you cut the piece a little short or the wrong angle. With brazing you want your pieces to fit together as close as possible before brazing. On the downside with welding is it takes a lot of time grinding the welds down to make it look good and its very very time comsuming to make them look good, but with brazing you just need a little work with a file or sandpaper.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyseven View Post
One of the advantages of welding is you can fill gaps if you cut the piece a little short or the wrong angle. With brazing you want your pieces to fit together as close as possible before brazing. On the downside with welding is it takes a lot of time grinding the welds down to make it look good and its very very time comsuming to make them look good, but with brazing you just need a little work with a file or sandpaper.

Tig makes it fairly clean with a .040 tungsten or so you can seam most metals without any filler rod. for filler rod I use 308 stainless in a .040 rod

Small parts=small tungsten and filler= very nice welds.

Patience helps as well.
SDS Customz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlinClodKiller View Post
Um silver solder is what you use for brazing.
Ummmm.....wrong-o.
Both are considered "hard soldering", silver solder is for silver soldering, brazing rod (mostly brass) is used for brazing.
While some use the 2 materials & methods interchangably when describing them, they are in fact a bit different.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Harris Safety-Silv is a brazing alloy. I have used Safety-Silv on numerous builds and have not had a problem, the metal will bend before the joint is compromised
jmz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

i use 1/8" brazing rod from a local hardware store. for some reason i don't trust that silver shit.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #14
Jeep whore

I just use a mig welder i got from harbor freight lol.
scale4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #15
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Ummmm.....wrong-o.
Both are considered "hard soldering", silver solder is for silver soldering, brazing rod (mostly brass) is used for brazing.
While some use the 2 materials & methods interchangably when describing them, they are in fact a bit different.
Ummm.... gonna have to disagree with you here. The Harris Safety Silv is either 45% or 56% Silver compound, and it is brazing alloy. The rods maybe mostly Brass, but the 2 methods are the same, both are considered "brazing" The biggest difference is the amount of heat needed.
Silver solder is for plumbing and electrical applications where lead solder is illegal. Sweat soldering for plumbing, and brazing with Safety Silv are very close as far as method goes, since both use a capillary action.

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 02-19-2011 at 10:34 AM.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetimecrawler View Post
Ummm.... gonna have to disagree with you here. The Harris Safety Silv is either 45% or 56% Silver compound, and it is brazing alloy. The rods maybe mostly Brass, but the 2 methods are the same, both are considered "brazing" The biggest difference is the amount of heat needed.
Silver solder is for plumbing and electrical applications where lead solder is illegal. Sweat soldering for plumbing, and brazing with Safety Silv are very close as far as method goes, since both use a capillary action.
We can both split "short curly hairs" here ("maybe I started it")

Hard soldering covers silver soldering as well as brazing. Soft soldering is usually used for low pressure plumbing while hard soldering is used for higher pressures.
Ask a HVAC guy what he does, is it SILVER SOLDERING which is DIFFERENT from brazing. Both are hard soldering.

Nuff said on my part.

I will now bow out, good/bad/indifferent.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #17

i used the solder process it worked good for me
blwn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #18
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlinClodKiller View Post
Um silver solder is what you use for brazing. TIG is the ultimate, but you need to be good at it. It can also be done with mig. A few people will tack with mig or tig then braze the rest of the joint with silver solder. They all work.
Quote:
Silver solder is the biggest way to do it, brazing next, then various forms of welding.
Quote:
Ummmm.....wrong-o.
Quote:
We can both split "short curly hairs" here ("maybe I started it")

Hard soldering covers silver soldering as well as brazing. Soft soldering is usually used for low pressure plumbing while hard soldering is used for higher pressures.
Ask a HVAC guy what he does, is it SILVER SOLDERING which is DIFFERENT from brazing. Both are hard soldering.

Nuff said on my part.

I will now bow out, good/bad/indifferent.
Not to beat a dead horse here, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but....
I'm still a bit fuzzy on what the dissagreement really is here. Are you saying Harris Safety Silv isn't a brazing alloy, but a Silver solder,which is different then a brazing alloy?
In my area of the country, HVAC guys and plumbers, myself included, braze for most AC/heating applications, and sweat solder using a silver solder for most plumbing applications. Both identical proceedures, just different materials with different melting points. after over 25 years doing HVAC/plumbing, I guess I still haven't figured out what the differences are?
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote