Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: dremel 300/failure/fix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
dnf

Default dremel 300/failure/fix

I picked one up a while back for modding pinions.I may have 100 hrs on it max.The variable speed switch took a dump.
I work at low rpm most of the time,and when it went out all I had was wide open.So I opened it up,took air to the switch and she is back in buisness.

You dont have to remove the brushes,but be aware the lock down for the shaft is a bit tricky to get back in properly,there is a loose pin inside the button,I super glued it place (inside the button),and it was easy after that.

But if you have one that acted simulare,its a easy fix,just needs a cleaning is all.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

It's amazing that it would fail being so new go figure? I've been abusing the same one for almost 30 years of RC vehicles and boats and it's still running the original brushes? I keep expecting it to lay down one of these days. Luckily Dremel still carries replacement parts.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
Suck it up!

I got a metal burr across the contacts in mine, burnt it up where it sat, got stuck to the switch and burnt everywhere else I tried to put it. Its dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
It's amazing that it would fail being so new go figure? I've been abusing the same one for almost 30 years of RC vehicles and boats and it's still running the original brushes? I keep expecting it to lay down one of these days. Luckily Dremel still carries replacement parts.
My dads still got his Dremel that he's had for as long as I can remember and I don't think he's ever had a bit of trouble with it. You know the saying "they don't make them like they used to"?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I hear you Norm! My old "Made in USA" Sears rotary tool is still going, but I've seen plenty of dead Dremels at work. The best one we have (which recently turned up missing ) is made by Proxxon. Great rotary tool!!

I was on my way to buy a Dremel today (to replace our missing Proxxon ) and my boss stopped me and told me to order another Proxxon. Then he sent out an email to everyone asking where the first one was.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
RCC Addict

last year I burned up 3 XPR 400 units. All got fixed under warranty. I barely use them now. My Dremel 8000 10.8v Lithium is my goto unit.....but only when I have no wall power. The frustration of dealing with getting the dremels fixed pushed me into more bench tools in the garage. Luckily Dremel repair is relatively local...so I could mail out the bad unit on Monday....and have the replacement unit by Friday.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote