Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Rockwell Blade Runner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Rockwell Blade Runner

I'm trying to see if my semi-impulse buy was a good or bad one.

I've been watching this thing for a couple months now. Pretty much, its a upside down mounted jigsaw. Benefits being it has an adjustable blade guide as well as a some guide rails built into the table.

I'll be using it for cutting wood, plastic and metal with the latter being my main concern. The worst thing I can think I'd want to cut is 1/4 SS which I've read is possible with a jigsaw and good blade. The other metal I'd be cutting is 3-5mm thick aluminum. I'll also be cutting some 3/8 lexan, but I don't think that will be to difficult.

The other tools I was considering were scroll and band saws. Scroll saws because they can do internal cuts and band saws because they cut faster, straighter, and they're stronger. The blade runner is potentially the good of both so it seems like a good buy.

Anyway, here's a link to the unit. Looks good, mine should be here next week.

http://www.rockwelltools.com/profess...aderunner.html
Bmr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmr4life View Post
I'm trying to see if my semi-impulse buy was a good or bad one.

I've been watching this thing for a couple months now. Pretty much, its a upside down mounted jigsaw. Benefits being it has an adjustable blade guide as well as a some guide rails built into the table.

I'll be using it for cutting wood, plastic and metal with the latter being my main concern. The worst thing I can think I'd want to cut is 1/4 SS which I've read is possible with a jigsaw and good blade. The other metal I'd be cutting is 3-5mm thick aluminum. I'll also be cutting some 3/8 lexan, but I don't think that will be to difficult.

The other tools I was considering were scroll and band saws. Scroll saws because they can do internal cuts and band saws because they cut faster, straighter, and they're stronger. The blade runner is potentially the good of both so it seems like a good buy.

Anyway, here's a link to the unit. Looks good, mine should be here next week.

http://www.rockwelltools.com/profess...aderunner.html
Let us know how it works out, I have 3 band saws but need a scroll saw too
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Replying to your other post. It does have side bearings for bracing. I don't see a rear one and I doubt its there. Its made to accept any T shank jig saw blade and they vary in depth so it would be difficult to make a rear brace that could adapt to them all.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Blade Runner showed up today. I bought a refurb from Rockwell on ebay. Looks used, but not abused.

Anyway, found a pleasant surprise under the red cover around the blade. There's an adjustable rear bearing brace for the blade after all.

I haven't seen that mentioned ANYWHERE. I read and agree that Rockwell is not doing a good job selling this unit. I was actually convinced to buy one by users reviews. Their infomercial was lame.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

i did the same thing with a regular jigsaw by drilling a 1/2" hole for the blade in a piece of 1/3" pineboard that was 18" wide by 24" long....mounted the jigsaw upside down on the plywood with the blade pointed upwards like your picture, then mounted the plywood to my work bench....

using a thinner blade i was able to make nice tight turns in 1/8" alum ........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, I saw your post in another thread. You're one of the people that convinced me the blade runner would be able to cut my aluminum. I was going to do something like what you did, but really wanted a blade guide since I would be using it for making straight cuts also.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Blade Runner showed up today. I bought a refurb from Rockwell on ebay. Looks used, but not abused.

Anyway, found a pleasant surprise under the red cover around the blade. There's an adjustable rear bearing brace for the blade after all.

I haven't seen that mentioned ANYWHERE. I read and agree that Rockwell is not doing a good job selling this unit. I was actually convinced to buy one by users reviews. Their infomercial was lame.

I knew there was a lower rear bearing, read it somewhere?, but I seen people complain about the blade bending backwards so I was gueesing there was no "upper" support?, lets here some reviews asap please
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah, I saw your post in another thread. You're one of the people that convinced me the blade runner would be able to cut my aluminum. I was going to do something like what you did, but really wanted a blade guide since I would be using it for making straight cuts also.
if you look at any jigsaw they have that bearing/guide at the back of the blade....

to the OP can you get us a picture of the inside of the box, i bet there is just a jigsaw in there without the handle ........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
if you look at any jigsaw they have that bearing/guide at the back of the blade....

to the OP can you get us a picture of the inside of the box, i bet there is just a jigsaw in there without the handle ........bob

Good job, you figured it out.