Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: dry ice deburing Delrin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Question dry ice deburing Delrin

Anyone tried this before? I know the principle behind it is really simple, the dry ice freezes the burrs and then when they get hit by a non-abrasive media they get knocked off and hey-presto your parts are done

Ok that's the theory, does it work or is it just a good excuse to look like a mad scientist and put on your dorky laugh. Reason why I ask is I hate de-burring my rims due to all the tight spots on them and the burrs that seem to run forever! yes I have used the "scrape along the edge" trick and that's great till you get into the tight spots and your stuck!

I would be using a vibratory tumbler from Harbor Freight and prob some crushed walnut shells in there to act as the media along with some dry ice crushed up from the local grocery store
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Sharp polished tools seem to help me often

Edit: I realy don't think it would work, sorry

Last edited by crawl rookie; 04-20-2011 at 01:45 PM.
crawl rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Got Worms?

Liquid Nitrogen
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Seems like overkill to me. I use one of these http://www.spear-and-jackson.com/pro...ng-tool-blades

Works great for all materials.
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I like to use a regular exacto on delrin. Try using a scraper or exacto and turn it 90 deg to the area you are deburring basically perpendicular and then just drag it along the edge. It will leave a nice sharp edge with a tiny chamfer, if you want all the edgeds to be chamfered then the best way is to chamfer them in the mill.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
RCC Addict

This is what im up against I am cool de-burring thin sheet parts, that's easy as heck... if I could chamfer them I would program that into Gibbs but it isn't to easy as you can see...

Old 04-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevildemo View Post
Seems like overkill to me. I use one of these http://www.spear-and-jackson.com/pro...ng-tool-blades

Works great for all materials.
Thats similar to what I use on plastics and 6061...if the plastic burrs are really small try a disposable razor...
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I forgot to mention I have one of those things also. Works good except for the really small spaces down inside the rim. I guess I should get my self one of those tiny 3-bladed deburing knives and give it a shot with that?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
I joined the Band!

id use a fresh exacto
tom@vp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Try a Dremel tool and a buffing wheel or the nylon brush. After um-teen thousand delrin wheels I have found those work the best and the quickest.

Good luck
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eritex Inc. View Post
Try a Dremel tool and a buffing wheel or the nylon brush. After um-teen thousand delrin wheels I have found those work the best and the quickest.

Good luck
Thanks Its the time involved de-burring Delrin parts like the rims that kills me. If I do get some dry ice I will give the idea a try and report back on it. Hey in the worst case scenario we got a nice excuse to fog the garage up
Old 04-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Thanks Its the time involved de-burring Delrin parts like the rims that kills me. If I do get some dry ice I will give the idea a try and report back on it. Hey in the worst case scenario we got a nice excuse to fog the garage up
Another thing to look at is switching up your machining processes in order to minimize burrs.
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eritex Inc. View Post
Another thing to look at is switching up your machining processes in order to minimize burrs.
Right, nothing makes burrs like dull tools! I just grabbed whatever end-mills we had kicking around but I can say this, they are nowhere near as sharp as my 3/16 3-flute Niagra aluminum cutting TICN coated end mill... that thing is sharp I think its time to invest in some of my own tools for plastic and let no one on them. Any tips on good end-mills. I was looking into 1-flutes but the price drove me away slightly. ive used up to 3-flutes {1/8" dia} in slot cutting just fine with a compressed air blast to keep the chips out with very minimal burring.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #14
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
3/16 3-flute Niagra aluminum cutting TICN coated end mill... that thing is sharp
love those
Old 04-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom@vp View Post
love those
I was cutting some .090" thick 6061 aluminum today at 6,000 RPM and just about 36 IPM feed. I was shocked! I backed it down slightly so I wouldn't nuke it but the finish was still amazing considering it was an older Fadal mill. Something to be said about good tools and coatings! I noticed it used less HP {audibly} on my Sherline mill also. Hmm time to buy more of em
Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #16
I joined the Band!

i dont think ive ever seen a better HSS em than niagra
Old 04-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom@vp View Post
i dont think ive ever seen a better HSS em than niagra
Ive tried:
some cheap import end mills {terrible... they were only $3 at Enco but in the greater scheme of life they were BAD!}

Accupro 1/8" ZrN coated Carbide end mills... made for aluminum, were OK but somehow they still managed to pack really easily, the only one I got now is on plastics duty till I get rid of him

then someone got smart and got the Niagra... I think I know who's getting my next tool order for some more 3/16" and 1/8" end mills.

Any faves that you want to share or that's a secret
Old 04-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I have had good luck using a short 1/8" 2 Flute Carbide end mill for machining both 1/8" 6061-T6 Al and 1/8" Delrin. I'm using a machining center, so i use flood coolant to wash away chips and keep the material and cutter cool.

The challenge for me it seems, is to be able to machine parts in a web quickly with minimal vibration, but keep the holding tabs to a minimum size and number. Then there is less deburring to do after the parts are torn off the machine.
Dynamic Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:18 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic Concepts View Post
I have had good luck using a short 1/8" 2 Flute Carbide end mill for machining both 1/8" 6061-T6 Al and 1/8" Delrin. I'm using a machining center, so i use flood coolant to wash away chips and keep the material and cutter cool.

The challenge for me it seems, is to be able to machine parts in a web quickly with minimal vibration, but keep the holding tabs to a minimum size and number. Then there is less deburring to do after the parts are torn off the machine.
I like using air, and only air for plastics {Delrin} but that's me. Anyone else feel free to chime in As for holding stuff down I have a custom plate for when I make my "Rocker" chassis. Ive found I can effectively hold a piece of .090" 6061 with 3 screws... while 4+ is good there's no WAY you can do Delrin with that few screws, it would chatter and leave a nasty finish.

At home I have a small Sherline mill with the 10,000 RPM spindle head on it and at the machine shop class I am in I normally steal our older model Fadal with a 7500 RPM max spindle. Sure its slower than the Sherline but lets face it, its got a ton more power

For now I am sticking with HSS and aluminum. The cost is pretty good and they take abuse so much better than carbide does. And when a friend drops your end mill it isn't AS big of an issue
Old 04-20-2011, 11:53 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Do you drill holes in the same machining process? I find I have to babysit the machine during the drilling process, so the Delrin doesn't build up on the cutter. I will have to try blowing air on it to see if there is a difference.

For your Fadal, are you using a G8 in your post while contouring? This eliminates acceleration, and deceleration. It's really noticeable in 3D machining on Fadals. They are great workhorses, but don't read arcs. I am referring to ones with the old FANUC controls.
Dynamic Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote