Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Rig stands homemade or bought what ya got?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Rig stands homemade or bought what ya got?

I never really liked my rigs just sitting on the table so insted of buying a stand that only holds a single rig and IMO takes up too much space for what it is and does, so I built a super cheap rig stand out of a 4x4 with a 2x4 on top and 16in long to hold 2 rigs (for now). It keeps the suspension at full droop so my springs don't get weaker by just sitting, keeps flat spots off the tires, and easy to work on the rigs from it!

Pics up soon!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

plastic coffee cans. they work perfect for my Revo and Maxx based trucks and with a little creative scissor work they'll fit anything and you're recycleing!! plus its pretty handy that you can store rig specific parts right in the cans. I use them for all kinds of stuff but they make really good car stands and if you drill acouple small holes in the sides at an angle presto! instant tool holders
whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
... It keeps the suspension at full droop so my springs don't get weaker by just sitting, keeps flat spots off the tires,
I store my rigs that way in the rafters of my basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
plastic coffee cans. they work perfect for my Revo and Maxx based trucks and with a little creative scissor work they'll fit anything and you're recycleing!! plus its pretty handy that you can store rig specific parts right in the cans. I use them for all kinds of stuff but they make really good car stands and if you drill acouple small holes in the sides at an angle presto! instant tool holders
Do you have pictures of this? I'd like to see how you cut the cans to fit...I like the idea of storing parts inside too.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I've been using plastic bins, like the kind you buy at horrible freight to organize hardware. I flip the bin upside down so the flat bottom is facing up and then I let the vehicle straddle the bin so the axles rest on the flat surface of the bin.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:42 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Im out on the road right now so no pics of my coffe can stands but all you need to do is trim the top of the coffee cans so you suspension is at full droop or close when the rig is sitting on it, for 1/10 most rigs fit with little or no trimming is needed but for the smaller stuff like a Merv you can add a couple blocks of wood to the coffee can lid to give your rig some support and get those tires off the ground!
whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
Suck it up!

Two old TMaxx tires, one under each axle.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

i use old butter containers as mine , cheap "free" and always have more when needed and when worn out it gets recycled....
i use the bigger dish as the chassis stand while working on a rig....and use the smaller ones with a hole cut in the center to fit the axle diff....

plus i use some rubber draw mat cut to fit the top of the stands for non slip........bob
bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #8

I'm currently making a stand for all my cars. Its gonna look cheap, but it'll be able to rotate
Obviously I'm too lazy to pick up my rig and spin it around.
Cpap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #9

here's a photo
Cpap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpap999 View Post

here's a photo

I do the same thing with extra wood pieces that I have around-work well even for my 1/8 scale.
OxInYourBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Made this stand from some stainless steel, can adjust height and can turn 360 around. Was build for a monstertruck and a buggy, now using it with my new crawler.
Verdion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I guess not to many people put them up on 1/10th scale Jack stands. I have been doing it for years on multiple types of rigs. And have had no issues with spring sag. HUH !
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:56 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

here's what I made out of aluminum extrusion and lexan I had left over from work.
Attached Images

bigheadandmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #14
Nope..

I use left over 3" square tube chunks under the axles. I have all sorts of length/heights for different sized tires.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #15
RCC Addict

i made a stand for my nitro savage using three 2x4's stacked and nailed together and 2 chunks of 1/4" plywood on each side works pretty good... unfortunately the crawler wont fit on it so either im gonna use that and cut it down or build something else.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote