Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Micro Chop saw and table saw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 12:53 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Question

I like the 6" looking but the diameter limit kills me Since a bandsaw isn't cheap I want to be able to rip out 2.5" diameter Delrin blanks for rims easy, is it any good or save my $ for a bandsaw and go from there.

On a side note their 1x30 belt sander, at least what I got, is NICE! Good deal
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2011, 03:11 AM   #22

Default mine

im buyin em
GnarKill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:26 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
I like the 6" looking but the diameter limit kills me Since a bandsaw isn't cheap I want to be able to rip out 2.5" diameter Delrin blanks for rims easy, is it any good or save my $ for a bandsaw and go from there.

On a side note their 1x30 belt sander, at least what I got, is NICE! Good deal

If you are talking about the 6" chop saw, you would need an actual blade to safely cut delrin with. I haven't seen any high tooth count(plastic cutting) blades in 6"

I have an older Ryobi 8" Miter saw I found a 150 tooth blade that fits. Works great on delrin, without melting it.

Or you could save for a bandsaw. You can get pretty cheap tabletop versions. Especially since you don't have a need for large capacity. I've seen new Chinese made 9" bandsaws for less than $100.

I also have the 1x30 sander from HF. it does work amazingly well, considering I've had and been using mine for over 5 years without fail(knocking on wood). i found that belts from Grainger last easily 5 times longer for it.
@tw!ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #24
Got Worms?

Not as cheap, or as small as the chop saw, but

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...saw-96980.html
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

I used the 6" chop saw the other day to cut some 4mm think Grade 8 washers for knuckle weight add on's.
I was surprised this tool handled the metal pretty easy. Good $40 purchase!

Thanks for the heads up on it. Link...
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...saw-41453.html
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by @tw!ll View Post
If you are talking about the 6" chop saw, you would need an actual blade to safely cut delrin with. I haven't seen any high tooth count(plastic cutting) blades in 6"

I have an older Ryobi 8" Miter saw I found a 150 tooth blade that fits. Works great on delrin, without melting it.

Or you could save for a bandsaw. You can get pretty cheap tabletop versions. Especially since you don't have a need for large capacity. I've seen new Chinese made 9" bandsaws for less than $100.

I also have the 1x30 sander from HF. it does work amazingly well, considering I've had and been using mine for over 5 years without fail(knocking on wood). i found that belts from Grainger last easily 5 times longer for it.
I think ill save for a bandsaw. I am all for buying once and calling it quits Got a link?

I got mine as a gift from my mom and minus the HF belts being "eh" its amazing! Done some dual station steel vises im working on with it and so on, handy little thing

As for belts im getting some in the mail shortly, I tore up one when a part I had got sucked into the sander, I removed the table
Old 08-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Picked up the 6" saw at Harbor Freight yesterday for $27.99 with a coupon. It's made my life a lot easier already.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
I think ill save for a bandsaw. I am all for buying once and calling it quits Got a link?
If you want buy it once, I'd spend a little more than $100 and get something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Z1709HM87ZVH94

I've seen one of these in person at a local tool shop. Pretty darn nicely put together little saw.

Never seen this one in person, but I've never got anythign bad from Micromark yet.

http://www.micromark.com/9-Inch-Band-Saw,9960.html
@tw!ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:21 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by @tw!ll View Post
If you want buy it once, I'd spend a little more than $100 and get something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Z1709HM87ZVH94

I've seen one of these in person at a local tool shop. Pretty darn nicely put together little saw.

Never seen this one in person, but I've never got anythign bad from Micromark yet.

http://www.micromark.com/9-Inch-Band-Saw,9960.html
Ok cool, any horizontal ones. I saw the Enco one and it got better reviews than the Harbor Freight one {4x6} since it was Taiwanese vs Chinese
Old 08-25-2011, 07:50 AM   #30
No idea what I'm doing

For cutting Delrin I prefer a table saw and 10" chop saw. I don't use a high tooth count blade either, and it works great. The reason I prefer the table saw is because not only are the cuts straight, but parallel which is important when trying to hold Delrin in a machinist vise since the sides are smooth.

Calvin, are you cutting round stock or square? When I have a lot of parts to make from Delrin, I have the plastics shop cut my pieces for me. Their cut charge is pretty minimal compared to the time it takes me to cut myself.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

anyone used one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-37006-...4280010&sr=1-4

I've always wanted a Proxxon to rip stuff down to precision scale but their table saw is almost $400, Micro mark is similar. My concern with the harbor freight one, or any cheap one for that matter, is the precision that it can cut.

This has some bad reviews as far as precision but wonder if anyone has used it.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Juan, mostly round. For me driving to somewhere is a bit farther than i'd like I'd love to have a saw to do more than 'just' Delrin sheets since I may cut some aluminum and steel for tool holders and the such
Old 08-29-2011, 05:18 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

I have used that Chop Saw now for over 3yrs making Deling Links.. I couldn't tell you how many I have cut. I'm even still using the same blade that came with it.. Never saw the Table saw... But it would come in handy for a few things.. I'm going to give it a shot.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #34
Got Worms?

For those wanting to cut steel, i found these guys...i'm assuming the saw has a 3/8" arbor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25pc-Metal-S...#ht_1400wt_932

There's other thickness as well, down to 1/32"
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote