Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Tonys screws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 12:48 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Still trying to find the button head, hex M3 tapping screw. The only thing I come up with is Axial package of them. Not that I mind buying them there but they are out of stock on the places I checked. I will keep Tony in mind when I stock up. Might be better to buy the whole truck kit in the end.
Don't get the tapping screws. Replace them with the fine thread of the same size. Much better and easier on the plastic.
federally is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2011, 06:28 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I would like to see him offer stainless though as well.
He used to, but his main clients were 1/8th scale truggy/buggy when he started and Stainless is weak as hell so he dropped them in favor of the Black Oxide (rust can be removed and prevented with a simple spray of WD40 every now and again).

Quote:
Originally Posted by federally View Post
Don't get the tapping screws. Replace them with the fine thread of the same size. Much better and easier on the plastic.
X2...always a better option. Also remember first time in its best to install them slow and patient. Helps not cause heat to overheat the newly threaded area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khj94704 View Post
I just came to this board looking for a thread on screws/bolts and saw this on the first page so I have to ask, does anyone have a source for fully threaded 30 or 35 mm m3 socket heads? I managed to shear a 35 mm bolt that was on an RC4WD chassis and I actually need something that is fully threaded.
For odd ball stuff like this I hit my LHS and usually find a decent company making them. Here's some options I've used in the past for long full thread. Why socket, will button head work? Buttons typically stay fully threaded to 50mm. (note links to A-main to show price/pack and part number, usually buy those from my LHS).

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Head-Screw-10

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Head-Screws-10

http://www.hexcrews.com/m3x35-socket-cap-screw.aspx
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
For odd ball stuff like this I hit my LHS and usually find a decent company making them. Here's some options I've used in the past for long full thread. Why socket, will button head work? Buttons typically stay fully threaded to 50mm. (note links to A-main to show price/pack and part number, usually buy those from my LHS).

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Head-Screw-10

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Head-Screws-10

http://www.hexcrews.com/m3x35-socket-cap-screw.aspx
Thanks for those links. I've been trying to stay away from button heads if the profile of the bolt head doesn't matter since I've had more trouble with them stripping than sockets, probably just because it's 2mm vs. 2.5mm. I really should avoid stainless bolts from now on, too. It helps that black oxides look cooler.

Last edited by khj94704; 08-30-2011 at 01:04 PM.
khj94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by khj94704 View Post
Thanks for those links. I've been trying to stay away from button heads if the profile of the bolt head doesn't matter since I've had more trouble with them stripping than sockets, probably just because it's 2mm vs. 2.5mm. I really should avoid stainless bolts from now on, too. It helps that black oxides look cooler.
If you manage to strip one of Tony's black oxides it's your tools fault not the screws. Button hwads are only prone to stripping if you're using poor quality tools or they are poor quality screws and Tony's are very good.
federally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:48 AM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by federally View Post
If you manage to strip one of Tony's black oxides it's your tools fault not the screws. Button hwads are only prone to stripping if you're using poor quality tools or they are poor quality screws and Tony's are very good.
I've built up a small cache of mostly McMaster-sourced bolts, and the only ones I've managed to strip the heads on are botton head stainless. Every time with a 2mm proline ball-end wrench, so I try to avoid using ball-ends whenever I can. The 1.5mm wrench in the set was absolute garbage, it didn't last a whole set of axial beadlocks, but the 2 and 2.5 have held up so I haven't thrown them out even though I have some MIP's somewhere. So I think it's a combination of not the strongest material, not the best wrenches, and my propensity for overtightening things. I sheared the 35mm bolt when I was trying to remove it, so at least that last nasty habit I have wasn't the cause. By the way, the 35mm hexscrews.com had was partially threaded so I ended up ordering some from hobby king. Thanks for the help, though. I'll definitely keep tony's screws in mind the next time I'm looking for something in particular, too.
khj94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:57 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

I love those tony screws I got few of then in my losi boggy and truggy 2.0

k20man is offline   Reply With Quote