Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Inventor 2012

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default Inventor 2012

Just downloaded Inventor 2012- (if your a student (even k-12) its free...maybe just steal your kids identity and download it ) However any prints or anything is labeled education edition

Anyways its changed alot since the 2011 version (might of been 2010)

Anyone else running 2012, whats your thoughts. It seems to run good on my single core machine (although i have plenty of ram and graphics) I only did a short little 5 minute cube with a couple holes, but it ran good.

But everything has moved and is a bit overwhelming at first, any major changes other than the ui?
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Just had Inventor 2012 installed on our new quad core machines at work. Still the same 'ribbon' interface as the 2011 version but definitely a huge increase in useability. I especially love the "right-click" interface when in sketch mode. Since the software was just released there are no hot fixes yet, we've had a few reports of crashing, especially when rotating larger cross-sectioned assemblies.

I currently have 2011 installed on my run-of-the-mill HP labtop at home with no real latency issues, even on large assemblies... Let's just say I'm reluctant to install 2012 here at home.
Mad4Rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i love 2012. i like the fact you can type your dimension in while drawing instead of having to draw something at a random size then manually make it the correct size(sorry if that made no sense)
Gen3_Teg_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen3_Teg_88 View Post
i love 2012. i like the fact you can type your dimension in while drawing instead of having to draw something at a random size then manually make it the correct size(sorry if that made no sense)
It made since...in 2011 though you can dimension as you go
Old 08-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #5
RCC Addict

you can dimension as you go in almost all of the previous versions, I think you just had to turn that option on in the preferences

also seems like in 2012 there are more prompts during sketch and feature creation, I bet that's why it is more memory intensive
Old 08-29-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
Got Worms?

I just realized i was playing in inventor fusion 2012. That would be a good reason why i seen such a big difference. I booted up the normal one and it looks more familiar.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:50 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I'm using 2012 at school and 2011 at home. There are somethings that have improved in 2012, but there are a few I definitely don't like. For what I've done so far (fairly basic stuff) there has been no major problems with crashing or anything. Only reason I'm considering getting 2012 for home is I can't draw something at school and then open it at home and finish it. What idiot at autodesk thought it would be a good idea to have the files incompatible

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:53 PM   #8
Got Worms?

Also i have a quad core cpu that will be going into my computer soon, so hopefully that will help, and i'm still undecided if i want to put 4 gb of standard ram out of a new hp into my tower, or keep my 2gb's of high performance ram.

I'm running xp pro 32 bit.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
. What idiot at autodesk thought it would be a good idea to have the files incompatible

Kieren
The marketing guy is the idiot you speek of, he's the one who wants you to always buy the latest version...
Old 08-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Also i have a quad core cpu that will be going into my computer soon, so hopefully that will help, and i'm still undecided if i want to put 4 gb of standard ram out of a new hp into my tower, or keep my 2gb's of high performance ram.

I'm running xp pro 32 bit.
At work I spec'd out 64 bit OS with as much high speed RAM as we could squeeze plus graphics cards with tons of on board memory too. Let's just say I blew the IT budget for the next three years...
Old 08-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, you want as much horsepower as you can muster. I've got a Phenom 1100, 16GB of RAM and GTX570 in my box that I use for Blender, Sketch and After Effects. Sometimes that isn't enough.
pixelnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
Got Worms?

Right now i have a single core 2.6 ghz CPU, 32 bit XP pro, 2 gb of high performance ram, and 256 mb on the graphics card.

I'm working on putting a quad core in there...its a stock HP mobo so i'm very limited on upgrades. I re flashed it with a new bios awhile back for the quad core, turns out the cpu i had wasn't supported in the bios, but it is supposed to be soon....I'm also running a 80 gb Hard drive that only has 217 mb of free space after the inventor install

Other than inventor boot time is 10-20 minutes, it seems to run fast, although i haven't gotten into complex modeling yet, just a few features.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:44 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Rnr View Post
The marketing guy is the idiot you speek of, he's the one who wants you to always buy the latest version...
There's always got to be one

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
I'm using 2012 at school and 2011 at home. There are somethings that have improved in 2012, but there are a few I definitely don't like. For what I've done so far (fairly basic stuff) there has been no major problems with crashing or anything. Only reason I'm considering getting 2012 for home is I can't draw something at school and then open it at home and finish it. What idiot at autodesk thought it would be a good idea to have the files incompatible

Kieren
Isn't there an option to save as a different version??? You could "save a copy" in the 2011 version to take it home.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #15

hey guys, I've been using inventor since version 6. I helped to deploy it at work for our draftsmen and engineers. In fact our little group of 8 guys really helped out with a lot of the bugs in the early stages. In addition we were one of the first groups to use Product stream, which is now called Vault Manufacturing.

So I have a bit of background on the product. I would like to recommend something. You don't need a crazy processor, that will only speed up the initial load. What you really want is lots of ram and a really powerful video card.

The last workstation that I put together for my self at work was a middle of the road quad core Itanium processor. I chose the itanium because I could, if I had to buy it on my own I would have gotten a Pentium quad core or i5 processor. Maybe a high end quad core AMD. remember, once the program is up and running, it really doesn't use the processor (unless you have a weak video card).

Definitely use 64bit OS so that you can use lots of ram.

I put in 12GB of ram. I would use a minimum of 8GB at home.

For work I chose the ATI Pro 7800. At the time it was around $700. Now, the reason you want the Pro is because if there is a problem with it rendering you can call up ATI and they will create a custom driver for you. this was actually kind of useful in the early versions but has seem to become less important. But if you have the money you can be sure that you won't have any rendering problems using the professional versions of ATI or nVidia.

But, for home, most of us (including myself) cant afford the professional graphics card. So you will want to choose the card with as much ram as you can afford. I recommend 1GB of video ram.

Hard drives are not that important, but the faster the hard drive the faster the data gets to the program so the faster the project will load.

Lastly, concerning the changes between 2011 and 2012. If I remember their release cycle correctly, they release the big changes on the odd year (i.e. the first time they introduced the ribbon); on the even years they introduce minor changes.
hEdly is offline   Reply With Quote