Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: for those that make their own links

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default for those that make their own links

i was killing some time earlier today and ran to harbor freight to pick up a couple things, and while i was there i came across this:

Bench Top Cut Off Saw

for those of us that like to make our own links out of long solid rod or tubes, this thing looks perfect for cutting them to the right length. i used a dremel with double stacked cutoff wheels when i built my links, and it took me about 2 hours just to cut them. i probably could have had it done in 5 minutes with this! i'm probably going to go pick one up here pretty soon, for $25 i don't think i can go wrong with it! and i believe harbor freight offers a warranty on it for a couple bucks more that would make sure to have one for at least a year or two even if they fail!
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohh EPiC FAiL View Post
i was killing some time earlier today and ran to harbor freight to pick up a couple things, and while i was there i came across this:

Bench Top Cut Off Saw

for those of us that like to make our own links out of long solid rod or tubes, this thing looks perfect for cutting them to the right length. i used a dremel with double stacked cutoff wheels when i built my links, and it took me about 2 hours just to cut them. i probably could have had it done in 5 minutes with this! i'm probably going to go pick one up here pretty soon, for $25 i don't think i can go wrong with it! and i believe harbor freight offers a warranty on it for a couple bucks more that would make sure to have one for at least a year or two even if they fail!
Just clamp or fabricate up a makeshift stop for the stock so you could make repetitive cuts and it looks like you'd be in business with that thing! Good tip.
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

if you look close it has a clamp! that's one of the reasons i wanted to post about it cuz that would make it super easy to get a nice clean cut

unless you meant some sort of thing to go on the other end of what you're cutting to make equal length pieces. that wouldn't be hard to do at all!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

FWIW, when I'm making links I mark the round stock with the correct length then use a hacksaw to make the cut. I'll follow up with a file to finish the cut.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
No idea what I'm doing

Micro Chop saw and table saw
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
wow totally missed that i was just too excited to post about it i guess
Old 10-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
cherry bomb

I use a tube cutter for tube, perfectly straight everytime, easy to get links close in length, I fine tune with a file if I have to

that bench top saw looks like it would be good for solid stock, but a miter box and a hack saw would be just as good if not better IMO

or do it the old fashioned way, eyeball it straight
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Tube cutter is all I need to make links since I usually make them out of stainless rod and allthread.
DRCrawlGood is offline   Reply With Quote