Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Screw storage solutions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Screw storage solutions

Up until now i've really just thrown all my RC screws, nuts and bolts into a 6 section box, it's been ok.

But now it's over flowing, plus with the XR10 as screw size is critical i really need more sections so i can separate my screws by thread and length.

Carried out the usual searches on t'net and Ebay but couldn't really see anything.

So if anyone can recommend a box i'd much appreciate it.
It needs to fit in my toolbox so no bigger than 18cm x 42cm x 4cm
Needs to be fairly soft plastic rather than some of the hard brittle ones i've tried and broken.
Could do with the majority of the partitions being no bigger than 6 x 3cm.

Also interested in seeing other peoples solutions.
I have a old fishing kit box for home which is great, so seeing how you guys have sorted your portable screw collection i'd be great

Cheers
Mark
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

go to your local arts store. u should find a storage container their, that is a soft plastic varying in all sizes
weeble163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

If you are not dead set on having it fit in your tool box. This is the one I use. It has removable bins.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Last edited by Hondatouring; 11-01-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Hondatouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

If you can't find something here, Plano ® :: Then you're just SCREWED
TJ Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #5

i second the plano suggestion
i have a two-sided tacklbox with removable side containers and it holds everyting i need it to
and the compartments are adjustable too
un4givn85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Horrible Freight has plastic boxes that you put the dividers where you want them, I use 2 of these boxes to keep my hardware organized.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

i just bought a 16 section plastic box with real hinges and snap closures from the craft dept at walmart for 5.00 bucks that fits in my main toolbox .........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
RCC Addict

i use a couple portable tooboxes 1 big one and 1 smaller one. the big one stays at home and is filled with nitro savage parts, the small one is now dedicated to crawler parts so its got tools in it.. its got a little compartment in the lid thats filled with screws and stuff. it goes to a friends house for a day of crawling sometimes too. got those at canadian tire.

i also have 2 little plastic containers with rubber corners (they are awesome and dont slide around on the work bench) that is also crawler only stuff, they are the perfect size to toss in a backpack or something. i use one for tools, screws, velcro, locktite etc and the other one i have spare servo's,receiver, 2 little tiny candles, matches etc..

here's a quick picture of these containers. i have to roll into town for an appointment here in a few mins but when i get home i will take some better pics. the top right of pic is the smaller toolbox i use and those are the plastic containers beside it. should also mention i got the clear containers at princess auto. i'd look in places like walmart etc.

Last edited by AX10wannabe; 11-02-2011 at 12:41 PM.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
i use a couple portable tooboxes 1 big one and 1 smaller one. the big one stays at home and is filled with nitro savage parts, the small one is now dedicated to crawler parts so its got tools in it.. its got a little compartment in the lid thats filled with screws and stuff. it goes to a friends house for a day of crawling sometimes too. got those at canadian tire.

i also have 2 little plastic containers with rubber corners (they are awesome and dont slide around on the work bench) that is also crawler only stuff, they are the perfect size to toss in a backpack or something. i use one for tools, screws, velcro, locktite etc and the other one i have spare servo's,receiver, 2 little tiny candles, matches etc..

here's a quick picture of these containers. i have to roll into town for an appointment here in a few mins but when i get home i will take some better pics. the top right of pic is the smaller toolbox i use and those are the plastic containers beside it. should also mention i got the clear containers at princess auto. i'd look in places like walmart etc.
what are the tiny candles for?
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
RCC Addict

im in the process of building a snorkle for my honcho and just threw them in just to get them off the work table.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I Just just have a couple of these.

18 Compartment Small Storage Container
racerfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Fantastic replies guys, thanks for your help.

Did some searching around for some Plano boxes but couldn't find any locally.
Found some on Ebay, but by the time shipping was added they were just too expensive.

While searching i did find a shop selling these 10" boxes for only a few €

Not ideal as they have 1 section running the entire width and another separated in half.
So i ended up putting the biggest and smallest screws in these.

The size is pretty much perfect though as it fits in my tool box without any problems

Please keep the ideas coming though as although i've found a half decent solution i'd still like to find the ideal.

Cheers
Mark
Old 11-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I'm a big fan of Plano so far. My wife had this box before I got into the hobby, and she offered it to me when she noticed all my stuff spread out on my hobby table. It has many configurations.

The three slide out bins come with lots of little dividers that you can place wherever you like for certain size stuff. She had thrown them away because she didn't need them for the aplication she was using the box for at the time, so she just bought me this extra little screw box for the small screws.

I know my screw assortment will quickly outgrow this little box, so I'm hoping to find the little dividers to put back in the larger bins.
steele42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #14

Any good sporting good store would have a great selection especially in the fishing isle. We have fleet farm and dicks sporting goods that are great for this type stuff also pawn shops.
NSANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
RCC Addict

i thought i posted my little clear containers but i guess not. here are some better pics.
i love these boxes i can fit them into my travel duffle bag i use for crawling stuff when out crawling. they have little rubber corners so they dont slide around the work table.

top section

then just lift it out and bottom section:
Old 11-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Bit of a shock seeing a pair of legs in there

The Plano stuff looks fantastic, but there is absolutely no way i'd pay those sort of prices for something to keep a few screws in.

The sporting store is a great idea, i'm a keen fisherman though and the ones i've found so far have sections that are to big for my needs.

I can't understand why no one seems to make a box with lots of small sections all the same size though.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Beads. Look for boxes dedicated to storing beads at the craft store. Those ladies are crazy...
mtdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Default Plano boxes

I use these plano boxes that I found at Fred Meyers - Plano Storage Solutions. 14" Double Cover Storage Box with LockJaw

They are cool because they have a top and bottom section. Small stuff on the top (with tons of dividers perfect for nuts, bolts, washers, etc), and bigger stuff on the bottom. All the dividers are removable, and the top sections are cupped a bit making it easier to scoop out small stuff. And if you place the dividers correctly, tiny washers won't even "migrate" from one bin to another. The bottom section has places where you can stack 2 lipo batteries. They are perfect as far as I'm concerned...I have one for each model of car I have (sc10 2wd, sc10 4x4, crt .5, and soon for my SCX10).
1tenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tenner View Post
I use these plano boxes that I found at Fred Meyers - Plano Storage Solutions. 14" Double Cover Storage Box with LockJaw
Oh yeah, and they go on sale 10% off all the time...$8!
1tenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Plano fishing boxes hands down, all i use to store RC parts in
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote