LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2006, 02:37 AM   #21

i know its not even really a fight.
traxxas_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2006, 04:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by john alardin
If someone thinks you 'cant' can you tell me why they even make alum. brazing rods to begin with?
John, like I said, I had never heard of or seen Aluminum brazing rod. And when I learned to braze (over 25 years ago) I was told that it could only be done on ferrous metals. Just not keeping up with the times I guess.
Oh, and I never did like the Simpson's, so I totally missed that quote. That will probably get me flamed worse than the brazing statement!
hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:54 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb4eva
Hey guys... i am going to attempt to build a tube chassis. for the main rails i am going to use 3/4 x3/4 aluminum sq. tube (kinda big but im only 15 n dont have access to a welder for steel) with 1/4 aluminum round tube for the cage. my question is what is the best way to bend the sq. tube. can i just put it in the vice with a little heat and bend into the shape i want or will this distort it?

-thnx, kyle
if you anneal the aluminum first, it will bend easier, but still won't take a tight bend. You need to make some find of a fixture to capture the inside face and sides like a die too or the tube will collapse.

Annealing the aluminum is heating it up until your spit rolls off it, old school trick, and then you can bend it even when it is cooled off.

The whole processes takes experience in doing so, not a beginner task, so use your head or you will make a few feet of scrap.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:35 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

robb, sorry, I misunderstood you, even after that hands, legs comment. the whole fighting thing was meant to be a joke, but went bad. just disregard it, guys. its cool.
john alardin is offline   Reply With Quote