Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Flux coated brazing rod?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Flux coated brazing rod?

Does anyone use flux coated brazing rod? Im trying to figure out what i need to buy to strart learning how to braze. I was going to pick up a torch with map gas and flux coated brazing rod at my local lowes. I wanted to know if this would work good or if i needed a different setup?
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Flux coated brazing rod?

There's a boatload of threads on here with info about brazing. My suggestion is to get the smallest dia. rod you can. 1/16 or smaller to 3/32. If you're gonna buy a Mapp setup, you'll want a Mapp/Oxy torch for the types of rod available at your local box stores (Home Depot, Lowe's, Tractor Supply, etc.) They don't/won't carry silver bearing solder. Also, consider using 2-3 tanks of oxy per tank of Mapp with this setup.

If you are wanting to use a silver bearing method, a simple Mapp setup will do you well. You'll need to get with your local welding supply and maybe a local plumbing supply, they will be able to get you setup with some Harris Safety-Silv 45 or 56. Or order off the internet, might save you a little bit of money.

I recently purchased a Mapp/Oxy setup to learn on, if I were to do it again, I'd order the plain Mapp setup and Safety-Silv and be done. I'm on my 2nd tank of Oxy and have nothing to really show for it yet. LOL As for the rod, I bought 3/32 bare bronze rod and a container of flux. If I stay with this type, I'm going to try out the flux coated stuff next time. Best of luck to you
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

get mapp gas bottle and a crosstech dual torch head. it WILL braze with 1/8th" coated rod. but thats a lot of heat thats not really needed. it will also get hot enough with propane, but takes longer
check with a HVAC supply house for 45% silver solder and flux. fox appliance has 1 troy oz 45% wire for 20 bucks,and a 7 oz jar of flux for 8 or 9 bucks. its not harris brand though
stanmondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Mapp gas and propane both get plenty hot enough to melt regular brass type rod.The mapp/oxy setups burn a lot of oxy up and are not neccesary, straight mapp or propane is plenty Mapp burns a bit hotter so I would go that route. Thinner rod if your joints are tight,larger if you are filling gaps.

I dont like prefluxwd rod,flux tends to break off if you dont treat it right and nice. Run to the local welding shop and pick up a can of powdered flux, heat the tip of your brass rod, dip it into the powder and there you go. With this method you can also control how much flux you apply which is nice sometimes(when touching up a joint )

Safety siv is really nice to work with and flows with less heat but is a lot more expensive for a first time or 1 timer, I would go the brass route and get the hang of brazing and heat control before using safety silv.

Last edited by hotwheels000; 09-03-2012 at 08:53 PM.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
RCC Addict

i have the mapp/oxy setup and like using 3/32 flux coated brazing rod.

i got my setup at canadian tire and buy my brazing rod from home depot.. three 36inch sticks for $6.99 cdn then i cut them into 1ft lengths so they are easier to work with. i braze 1/4" and 3/16th soild rod.. havent brazed tube yet..
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #6

I have a small welding tip for my Oxy-Acetylene setup. would this work well as long as i dialed it down?
DemetriM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #7

I would really like to get into brazing my own cages and or bumpers once. NOthing better than showing off custom handmade accessories for your rig
DemetriM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemetriM View Post
I have a small welding tip for my Oxy-Acetylene setup. would this work well as long as i dialed it down?
Depending on the size of the tip it will work. Obviously if its a really large tip its not going to work well on small stuff simply because you cant set the flame that low without a backfire.

Try on some scrap first, with practice you will get use to the flame setting you like, In school and on the job brazing rarely comes up but i usually just set a neutral flame on my cutting tip usually a size 1 or 0 and it works just fine.

Another option is that if your working with solid mild steel rod and other thicker pieces you can weld them together without the use of filler material.
trwelds is offline   Reply With Quote

Flux coated brazing rod? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hobart Flux Coated Brazing Rod & MAPP Torch???? notez2beat Tools, and Procedures 2 01-13-2010 09:18 AM
brazing question - wrong rod/flux? jbrandt Tools, and Procedures 7 12-04-2007 10:18 AM
Brazing/flux?? TwistedCreations General Crawlers 3 04-08-2004 04:36 PM