Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

View Poll Results: Who Uses Protection While Using a Dremel??
I wear eye and proper shoes when I perform dremel work. 55 71.43%
I don't need no stinkin protection! 22 28.57%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Dremelling at 3AM and No Protection....Bad IDEA!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #21
Old guy

Default Re: Dremelling at 3AM and No Protection....Bad IDEA!

I wear glasses when doing anything small or I f-n can't see!
I always got my boots on.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #22

I also work as a welder, I cant do nothing at work without all my PPE and since i work 300+ days a year I think I just wear it out of habbit. My daily "running shoes" are even a steel toed shoe. I wear safety glasses just cutting the grass. I have had arc flash a few times and had to have metal drilled out of my eye twice for the same incident because they never got it all the first time to the ER. Since then why risk it. Wear safety gear for me is about as common as using sunglasses on a sunny day and driving. Its a lot more comfortable when you have the right tools for the job.
trwelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

When I am CreationFabin', I wear not only eye protection(recently had to start wearing glasses), but I am never in my garage bare foot. Too many metal shavings and such on the floor. I wont even allow the misses walk out there bare foot to grab something because I would never hear the end of it

I even make sure to wipe my feet thoroughly before walking through my living room to the fridge for a beer, in case some metal shavings are in between the show lugs, and depart into the carpet.

The misses has made me start wearing ear protection also. Since I can make a lot of noise out in the shop with all the cutting, grinding, welding, milling, lathing, routering, and such. I am sure my ears will appreciate it when Im an old fawk like HARDKNOCKZ

Do yourself a favor, and wear some protection. Not only will it help protect you from the HIV, but it will keep debris out of your piggies and eye balls

A couple years ago, I was dremmeling a nickel tab off of a battery cell here at work with no eye protection. It launched a piece of nickel into my eye. That happened many times before, and all I had to do was blink some, then it would clear. Not that time. After much irritation, I went and looked into the mirror, to find that a large piece was lodged into the center of my eye ball, and every time I would blink, it would scratch the inside of my eye lid. Quite irritating! Since we live way out in the middle of no where, and I was here alone, I had to drive an hour to my doctor to have the piece pulled out. Pretty shitty. So after that, I always wear eye protection. You should do the same
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #24

over the years i just seem to automatically have my safety glasses or faceshield on whenever im working on stuff that can get up in my face or eyes.

the following is a true story...

i once mistook stay-brite liquid soldering flux for eye drops... i had both on my table in my hobby room and was dashing out the door to see my gf. got them mixed up and dropped 2 drops in my left eye.

i had to go to the emergency room for that one. eye ended up being ok, but at the time i was thinking i was gonna be blind in one eye.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #25
WAM
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
I wear glasses when doing anything small or I f-n can't see!
Opposite. I'm near-sighted and need glasses for anything more than about a foot away. But by some quirk my vision is about twice normal quality at and only at 6"-7". Glasses just get in the way. So of course I pull them up when doing close work. Like soldering, drilling and dremmeling on RC cars. I know better.

Thanks for the reminders. That story about sticking a wire in your eye so it won't close will keep me using clear safety glasses for a couple months at least.

I think I wore them for a year or two after an 8" adhesive sanding disc let go at speed and smacked me in the face. Totally ruined a pair of SAFETY glasses.

Last edited by WAM; 10-23-2012 at 03:38 PM.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Flying bits in my eye hurt!
I wear safety glasses when dremeling but often it is in a seated position with no shoes so.....
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Man, a lot of dangerous folks on here

I ALWAYS wear eye protection. Even if it's for "like 2 seconds, man" I wear it. It's the time you're doing something quick and dirty is when it'll bite you back

As for proper shoes, if I'm doing actual work, I'll have at least my Chucks on. If I'm just fiddling around and some minor drilling/ dremel work, it's the flippy-floppies

I like THX 138 (not sure why you're missing the 1st "1", lol). During welding classes, I wore Chucks and every day I did the Welder Hop/ Shake. I still have socks with holes in them, haha. My feet look like they're freckled. Nope, it's from SMAW/ MIGing classes for about 6yrs, haha. I'm lucky now that I only TIG at work

However, about this time last year I got a piece of metal in my eye. My dad and I were taking down Hallowe'en boxes and some dust/ grinding dust must've gotten in my hair. All was fine until I took a shower in the evening and washed my hair and whatnot. Eye was a little itchy going to bed. Woke up the next day with it irritated. Looking in the mirror and saw a tiny black spot. Went to Urgent care who got it half out, then off to the ophthalmologist to have her take it all the way out. Turns out it was a sliver of metal. My thought is that it was in my hair, and ended up being washed into my eye during my shower

Luckily it didn't hurt, it was just very irritating
Armistice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

I wear either ballistic glasses issued while I was in uniform or the full face shield,had to many close calls,including cutting thick plexi on a table saw that let loose and one of the edges stuck me like a shank just below my right rib cage.
kuatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Default Shoes na... safety glasses YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
Shoes? Nah. I'm a Southern Californian. Flip flops dude
At home im the same way. I guess were hippies then

At work, in a school, composite toe work boots and pants are the norm! I don't want some student to slip and drop a lathe chuck on my feet

And in the words of the woodworking genius Norm Abrams "And don't forget these... safety glasses"
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #30
Custom Carbon Fiber

When I was 15 I remember gluing some tires on the back of my Futaba FX10 (Tamiya Falcon knock off). I waited about 10 minutes then plugged the battery in and had the wheels off the ground.

Zing! - felt something hit my right eye and I knew right away what it was. Grabbed my eye lid and held it open for about 10 minutes. Tried blinking a few times and it was pure irritation.

Went upstairs to my mother and tried to explain what happened. She looked at me wierd when I kept saying I got CA in my eye, finally I said ma, I got f**kin super glue in my eye and cant blink.

ER bound .......... got a neat pirate patch with a bag of saline solution to flush it off.

Next day glued some more tires, put goggles on and spun the tires. Had a nice splatter up the left side this time.

Now I wear basically a blast sheild
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

Whenever I work with tools/sharp objects, the first thing I use is Common Sense, it's the best safety protection ever devised.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #32
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man View Post
I am sure my ears will appreciate it when Im an old fawk like HARDKNOCKZ
what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
At home im the same way. I guess were hippies then
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #33
RCC Addict

i wear shoes cuz my garage is a frickin disaster! lol
but i never use glasses and have had a few chunks of hot molten plastic bounce off my eyes several times. hurtz like hell!!
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

I try to ensure I'm wearing my safety glasses when I'm using the dremel. I've been hit a couple times by exploding cut-off wheels and if the glasses hadn't been there, well, you know. On the subject of shoes, always. I'm another one that doesn't enjoy being barefoot unless I'm in a swimming pool or on the beach. And that's only if I'm in the water. Walking on beach means foot protection. If I'm not wearing shoes, I'm wearing flip-flops. My wife and kids are barefoot whenever they can be...hillbilly's the lot of them.
Wicked Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #35
Old guy

This thread jenksed me, I was sanding a small piece last night and my shrit got wrapped up in the wheel. I had a good grip on it so was able to turn it off as it hit my belly.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

My Dremel has the flexible extension, and to get the extension from the hook, removing safety glasses from the same hook is mandatory. The only thing is that those safety goggles have seen so many debris flying that it is becoming hard to see through the scratches, but this is always a reminder.
Shoes?
Try going barefoot on a concrete floor in Canada... Good thing is that if anything drops no pain, mainly a "crack".
Orph3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

I thought ahead when I had to get glasses so they are auto darkening and actually rated as safety/sports glasses. No worries for me they fit my fat face real snug. I don't wear gloves when running the dremel but I sure as hell do when running a larger grinding apparatus! I used to wear gloves randomly when running a grinder but getting 15 stitches across my palm solved that bad habit right away.

I've got some nice scars on my feet from welding berries melting through my shoes time and time again but I've never been a boot wearing guy so I just live with it. Besides what kind of fashion statement would it make to wear boots with shorts and a tank top? I do usually wear glove while welding though, especially if it's something more than a tack weld.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

I have almost always worn glasses, and people are always telling me to get contact lenses. I tell them I probably wouldnt be have eyeballs if it wasnt for my glasses with all the stuff that has bounced off of my glasses over the years. I've had a lense break by getting hit! So glasses- yeah. But if you have a pair of safety glasses that are all scratched up, that can be just as hazardous by not being able to see good. Replace scratched ones, they are a cheap insurance, you can get them for next to nothing in alot of places. Shoes?? Depend on what I'm doing.
ClodNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

need an option for just eye protection. i always use safety glasses but didn't wear shoes untill i moved the dremmel to the garage
muddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #40
RCC Addict

I've worn corrective glasses since the fourth grade, and they saved my ass a thousand times. Then, while I was tubing my honcho out, I needed to take a hair off of a piece of tubing. I fired the dremel up with a HD cutoff wheel in it and was about to remove the material when this happened...

The cutoff wheel mandrel broke at the edge of the chuck. It hit my glasses so hard I ended up with a black eye. The bit was never dropped, wasn't bent or anything. I still can't figure out why it let go. I always wear safety goggles now.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Dremelling at 3AM and No Protection....Bad IDEA! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this a bad idea? mmatthews Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 5 05-11-2012 09:28 PM
good or bad idea. ax10newguy Tires and Wheels 7 11-21-2011 12:04 AM
bad ass idea for the cc? corvette crawle Duratrax Cliff Climber 4 05-31-2009 07:43 PM
That was a bad idea BJoe Chit Chat 5 09-14-2008 08:46 PM