Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Airbrush

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Airbrush

I've decided I want to start using an airbrush for my bodies, my only problem is deciding which to get. I see these double action ones, single action, etc. I went to the hobby shop and they just had the one for about $100.

I really have no idea if I want to spend that much on one yet. What do you guys suggest (and from where) that is cheap but works well for a beginner.

What I have/understand:

- I have an air compressor
- I know the paint has to be thinned
- You have to keep the airbrush very clean, run paint thinner through it

Ok, so what suggestions do you guys have?
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2006, 10:27 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Try a Badger Model 150 duel action brush.

I really like mine.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:29 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Question

No your paint does to need to be thinned all the time.I have two airbrushes Pete;a Badger and an Iwata.Both are double action, which means you can control the amount of paint and pressure at the same time.The average brush should cost between $75-$125.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:31 AM   #4
RCC Addict

When I was looking into getting a brush, everyone I talked too recommended the Paasche VL brush. As far as compressors go, one with an airtank seems to give the best results (doesn't pulse). Also, make sure if you use a non-airbrush compressor you use a water trap. If you don't your paint will never look right and the droplets of paint will have an inconsistent size.
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:33 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405
No your paint does to need to be thinned all the time.I have two airbrushes Pete;a Badger and an Iwata.Both are double action, which means you can control the amount of paint and pressure at the same time.The average brush should cost between $75-$125.
DJ, you have any suggestions for a decent place here in town to look at/buy a Badger brush?
Old 08-30-2006, 11:02 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloak
DJ, you have any suggestions for a decent place here in town to look at/buy a Badger brush?
Hobby Lobby,even Hobbies 'n Stuff
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

If you want really cheap just to practice and get the hang of it, I'd suggest getting a really cheap one at Harbor Freight they are like $10. It's single action but you can adjust the spray patter. I've done my first 6 bodies with mine and now it's time to upgrade to something better as I've learned what I could with my cheapy one. (I actually purchased 4 of them for different colors).

You can also get some water based paint (that works for our use) at Micheals craft called creatix and they sell badger airbrushes as well. in the $50 and up range. Also check ebay always something there.

I'd say go cheap to get the feel and then upgrade when you've accomplished what you could with the cheep one.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:26 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

may i suggest an iwata w/ adjustable kickback??? i have a badger and i have also used the testors cheapy stuff... my favorite one of all is the iwata. this is what most graff artists ive met like the most , because of the ability to change your spray width at the pull of a finger. and product support on this gun is good. it's approx.$120

they make a paint called createx it is already thinned and works on almost every surface...
or my favorite top secret trick is to use acrylic paint w/ "future" clear acrylic floor wax.
its bomb proof. heres a little pic of something i did with my iwata, i have bigger ones if you want to see the variations in lines from one airbrush.

personally i think if you get something good off the get go youre not limiting yourself later on...

:::::::::::::dont run paint thinner through your gun it kills the rubber seals and leaves an oily residue inside the airbrush, instead use windex, or an ammonia based product. :::::::::

Last edited by murdock; 08-30-2006 at 11:40 AM.
murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:04 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I did some calling around, and I might just grab either the Iwata or the Badger one off ebay. There are some NIP ones from power sellers for around the $75-$80 mark. Locally they're more like $100 for the same items. I think it is just a matter of deciding which one I really like, they both seem to be great systems to work with.

Thanks for the tip about the windex. Now that you mentioned it, I seem to remember hearing about that problem degrading the plastic parts.

What is the floor wax for? Does it just add more substance to the paint itself so it bonds better?
Old 08-30-2006, 12:12 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Check out CFXpaintworks.com. A bunch of info there on painting RC's. Tips and tricks
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 01:42 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Lot's of good stuff here as well!

http://www.cptnet.com/ken/faq.html
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:43 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

try bearair.com
john alardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:09 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

if you have ever gone to a craft store and saw the acrylic paint for .95 cents.... people will say not to use it in your airbrush but the truth is you can, just thin it out with the clear acrylic floor wax, floor wax is meant to shine and resist against scratches , since you walk on floors it must be durable ...

i use it when i paint models, or kids rooms, so you can wash off the walls, scrub off crayon ect.

i have only used the future wax, so thats what i would suggest. but note it does clog the gun a little quicker so keep a cup of windex handy. it also helps when youre changing colors to run the windex through it, so you dont mess up your masterpeice.

happy bidding on your airbrush.
murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:37 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I went ahead and ordered one of the iwatas off ebay, should have it next week.

Meanwhile, I wanted to finish my body, so I bought a cheapie from walmart to spray on some of the metal flakes. It worked fairly well, only problem is I didn't get the effect I was looking for because I dumped way too many flakes on the body. Oh well, no biggie.

I'll have that body cut and mounted tonight if I get the time.