Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: x-mas came early this year

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default x-mas came early this year

I pulled the trigger on a Lincoln 140T Mig/Flux Core welder, bought .025 tips and wire, .030 tips and wire, .035 tips and wire, two pairs of gloves, a auto darkening helmet, a set butt clamps, a slag hammer, two wire brushes, need a cart with a tank well and strap, cause its heavy, and need a decent sized bottle to run AR/CO2 for some Buddy L and Tonka sheet metal thickness, to build some R/C trailers, plus I want to crank her up and see what it will do. the helmet works great, but looks like a Iron Man or the Silver Power Ranger rip off, tomorrow I'm going set it up and run some beads and do tack welding on some scap, before I try my trailer frames.

Last edited by kgb424; 05-01-2014 at 07:27 PM.
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: x-mas came early this year

Nice little setup you got there... I've been looking at getting a new welder as I'm sick of totting around big tanks of gas and the Lincoln wire fed mig seems to get the best results. I'm really new to welding so I don't know all there is to look at, but this model is one I came across several times while just looking...

--Dan
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Mine came from Home Depot, but Lowes also carriers them, the 140T is 140 amps that I got, is the in between model, they got a 125 amp, one is a little small for what I want to do, and there 180 amp welder would be a little too big, the one, I got was priced pretty reasonable so I couldn't pass on it.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Nice set upI bought mine when these units first came out.Has never let me down and done a many projects
JK Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Nice looking set-up kgb ...... wish I had the time, space & money to get something similar.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Sweet! get some wipers to go on the wire between the spool and drive wheel. It'll keep the liner clean and keep the liner like new
Attached Images

1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Awesome. I gotta learn how to weld. Merry Christmas!

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:37 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

hey 1tonscout where do you find those, what is it made of, how often do you clean it /replacement. I didn't see those at the Welding supply I went too, to check prices and cruise around

It looks like a piece of scotch bright pad with a clip to attach it

ok I see now, you put a little oil on the pad so it does snag/drag and birds-nest the wire, cause the welder my buddy has when he uses a certain brand of wire it will screws up. so it could be the lack of lubrication. so where can I get one of those.

Last edited by kgb424; 11-27-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb424 View Post
hey 1tonscout where do you find those, what is it made of, how often do you clean it /replacement. I didn't see those at the Welding supply I went too, to check prices and cruise around

It looks like a piece of scotch bright pad with a clip to attach it

ok I see now, you put a little oil on the pad so it does snag/drag and birds-nest the wire, cause the welder my buddy has when he uses a certain brand of wire it will screws up. so it could be the lack of lubrication. so where can I get one of those.
I believe they are actually a piece of felt with a lube on it. I used similar in the wire & cable industry. Took off dust and any other loose stuff on the wire that could build up in the tips/guides.
From a search, others have used a foam ear plug, rag or ScotchBrite on the wire held on with a clothes pin.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

The wipers are made of felt and all welding shops stock them. There are a couple different styles but they all work. The important thing with these wire feed machines is to keep the feed clean and smooth. Try to keep the cables straight with no kinks. When you store the welder loosly coil up the leads.
1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Do yourself a favor and take that helmet back to Harbor Freight, get your money back an put it towards a good autodarkening helmet from Lincoln or Miller.
Your eyes will thank you later. A good welding helmet is something you can't go cheap on.
Baddawg775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg775 View Post
Do yourself a favor and take that helmet back to Harbor Freight, get your money back an put it towards a good autodarkening helmet from Lincoln or Miller.
Your eyes will thank you later. A good welding helmet is something you can't go cheap on.
Glad I saw this. New to welding and never thought twice about it. We have a Norco down the street...will have to stop in there. My eyes always hurt after welding
AdventureIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Yup, true about the good hood. I used a cheapie for a couple of years and it was amazing how much better your welds get when you can see
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote

x-mas came early this year - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What did you get for x-mas? mhflies Chit Chat 13 12-27-2011 10:41 AM
X-mas came early rhett314 RC4WD Bully 8 12-28-2009 09:22 PM
our early x-mas gift usa1man Chit Chat 8 12-16-2007 10:09 PM
Early X-mas gift Link Chit Chat 10 12-12-2006 06:58 PM