Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Welder help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Welder help

I'm looking to get something inexpensive. But I want it to work well.

Would this work? I know verry little about welders.
Mig.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44567

Or an extra $30 for something like this.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=55250

I'm also looking for any used ones. Everything so far is well over $500, so the search continues.

Thanks
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2006, 03:10 PM   #2

Talking Welder

Hey Double J,

Depends on what you want to do with it???
I've was able to borrow a Millermatic 135 wire feed for a few weeks and built a couple frames and rollcage.Had to give it back a few days ago and have been eyeballing the same ones from Harbor Freight.I was hoping to get a deal from a buddy of mine that works at a local Welding supply house and get a miller unit with some goodies (welder cart,gloves,leathers,facemask,and last....the Argon tank and refills for free!!!!!)

Keep in mind the 90amp can not run gas, just flux core wire.Good to use outdoors (where there may be wind)
The shielding gas type allows for good penatration and a cleaner weld.
Ever played with one of these before???
I know you can braze so you'll be ok....just have to get used to the settings and away you go.
If you planning on doing any heavy welding for some reason,say frame on truck....(thicker metal) you'll want the higher Amp rated units usually the 240Vac.
The Miller I was using the 120VAC 90amp I think and I welded quite a few thing with that thing in the past few weeks from RC Crawler Chassis to Gp carts,Camper Jack Mounts, Front bumper on my truck and such.
Hope some of the rambling was useful to you.Not a pro-welder just took a welding class to stay out trouble back in the days and recently got a hold of one to use and now I too have to have one..

Chris

I
THEBIGCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:14 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

where are you at? i got a little lincoln i might be interested in selling but shipping would be a bit, its heavy. weldpak 120 wire feed with a nice lincoln auto darkening helmet and the mig gas kit. barely used, only ran a little more than 2 pounds of wire through it. probably more than your looking to spend though.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:15 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I had that first one you listed...it's a piece of junk. I built a few tubers with it, but something inside eventually burned out. No ability to use gas, and minimal settings (Hi/Low heat and speed only) make it hard to use on thin brakeline, and it struggles with thicker plate as well. It's a VERY basic welder...not something I would suggest for your type of work.

The second one seems only slightly better, but it is 220V. I got a nice Lincoln Electric on sale from Lowes about a year ago...haven't looked back. Granted, it wasn't any $200, but you get what you pay for, and I don't really trust Harbor Freight's quality anyway.

-Destroyer
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

yeah if your going to buy one and use it you'll be much happier later if you pay more now and get a decent machine with the flexabilty for heat and wire speed. whatever your buying it for im sure you'll start using it for more things! mine might be a welpak 100, not sure but its the 125v model, but still has wide range of adjustments, also got it at lowes. i think i paid 399 for it.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:22 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I personally try to avoid getting these type of things from harbor frieght, but when price is an issue, and you can always return it.

I would be using it to weld like sheet metal solid rod and 1/2" square tubing mostly.

I would still use brazing for brake line tubers.

Basically this would be used to weld the trailers I'm planning on selling and some bumpers that's in the works.

thorsteenster - I'm in Washington State.
I'm on the look out for a nice miller or lincon used for a great price. I've been searching craigs list and other sites as well.

Last edited by Double J; 11-29-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:30 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I'd spend the money and look into this.....

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80HDUS/...rchResults.jsp

I don't know why I can't get the link to work but go into the welders and find this one.......

Lincoln Electric
Weld Pak 100HD Wire Feed Welder
Model K2189-1

$339.00

Last edited by 4u2nv; 11-29-2006 at 04:23 PM.
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u2nv

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...4+3966&pos=n24
Doesn't show a welder. Just a list of tools.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

The biggest mistake people make when buying a welder is being cheap!!!!

Save some money and get a brand name. They cost alot more but will last you a life time. The welders in my shop are millers and are over 25 years old. They were bought by my old man when he started his fab shop. These things are used every day and have needed very little mantinace. The money my old man spent 25 years ago on these has been paid back 1000 times. So it is well worth the money to get a good one.
bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:11 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastard
The biggest mistake people make when buying a welder is being cheap!!!!

Save some money and get a brand name. They cost alot more but will last you a life time. The welders in my shop are millers and are over 25 years old. They were bought by my old man when he started his fab shop. These things are used every day and have needed very little mantinace. The money my old man spent 25 years ago on these has been paid back 1000 times. So it is well worth the money to get a good one.
I'm going to go with that conclusion and find a nice brand name used one.
I found one locally but I have no Idea if it's any good or not. It's a Mac tools mig for $150 or trade for R/C parts, How ironic is that. I need to set up a time to look at it. If anyone knows anything about it. It was listed as a ws 1300 flux or gas>?
Old 11-29-2006, 04:22 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Duty cycle: 15% @ 115 amps; SUCKS.......if you are gonna get one get one with a min of 40% duty cycle at its full capacity.

nothing worse that the POS shutting down half way through a weld
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:24 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Go back and see post #7 the link won't work but I gave more info.......
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:34 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u2nv

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80HDUS/...rchResults.jsp

I don't know why I can't get the link to work but go into the welders and find this one.......

Lincoln Electric
Weld Pak 100HD Wire Feed Welder
Model K2189-1

$339.00
this is the exact welder i have. my neighbor bought the next model up with the full MIG capability (shielding gas). honestly, he uses the flux-core wire most of the time because he's always forgetting to turn the gas off and runs the tank out. i just used mine this past weekend to weld up a frame for a bandsaw mill i'm working on. most of the welds were into steel channel that had a wall thickness over 1/4". i have a good 30 pounds of wire through mine since i bought it and while i have on occasion gotten it to shut down due to the thermal overloads (running the high heat range for extended times), it resets in a few minutes. the weather was cool saturday morning when i was doing some major welds and i went through a pound of wire in a few minutes on the highest setting and it never shut down.

for the occasional user i think this welder is one of the best deals going. it's lightweight, runs on 110V, and repair parts are available if you ever need them. i DID buy the Horror Freight $50 auto-darkening welding helmet though.

andy b.
andy b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:59 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks
Duty cycle: 15% @ 115 amps; SUCKS.......if you are gonna get one get one with a min of 40% duty cycle at its full capacity.

nothing worse that the POS shutting down half way through a weld
are you talking about the mac tool one? I would asume so. Thanks for the insite, I couldn't find any info off Mac tool website for some reason.

I may have a little lincoln Mig, my Powder Coater has lent out. I'll see him today and find out if he'll sell it to me or let me use it to practice till I get the cash.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:27 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I use a snap on FM140A....... a 140A, 110V, 100% duty cycle@140A. mig machine. bought it used for 350.00 then put another 250.00 to make it right.

then I sold my 220V lincoln because this machine put it to shame. If you can find one used buy it! the thing has multi phase step up transformers.......sounds like a jet spooling up
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:35 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks
I use a snap on FM140A....... a 140A, 110V, 100% duty cycle@140A. mig machine. bought it used for 350.00 then put another 250.00 to make it right.
I too use a snap on welder, except i got the MM350XL model. 300 amp output @ 100% duty cycle, 240 volt. this thing is just a beast of a welder. what is relly cool about it is that its got the detachable feed box on it.the only thing i dont like about it is that when i use the smaller wire(.023) it sometimes kinks in the hose, but with the .035 wire its sweet. the only problem was the cost, it ended up costing my dad like $3800 for it new.
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

well so far this is the only one I've been able to find that is at a decent price. although I have about 30 emails out to some sellers on other ones.

I'll go look at it and see how it works out for me. I really don't need anything special right now, I would like to get a miller or lincoln but it doesn't look like it's in the cards at the moment.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:49 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I got my welder from Home Depot, it is a Lincoln Weldpack HD which will weld up to 3/16 on the highest setting. It has been good to me but I really would like to get a Millermatic 135. The only thing that I don't like about it is that the welds are not that clean because there is no gas, so I spend alot of time grinding them down. If I remember correctly it was about $300 and I have had no problems with it. I am not sure if there is a way to convert it to use gas, if I could do that then I wouldn't need the Miller. Off to do some research now
ALTERED IMAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:39 PM   #19
REST IN ALOHA CHIP

There is a conversion kit for it. it comes with a regulator, diffuser, and solenoid valve for 135, i think its been a while so the price might of gone up.......
YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:11 AM   #20

If you can afford it get a 220 volt input lincoln or miller / Hobart. you will be happier in the long run.
Big Ahso is offline   Reply With Quote