Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Where to learn CAD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2015, 02:25 PM   #1

Default Where to learn CAD

Hey all

Not sure if this is the right place, but trolling around I have seen all the awesome stuff people have been doing on Shapeways and I would like to try it out myself.

Looking to see what suggestions people have on a CAD program to learn on. Are there any that are inexpensive and have a good deal of resources to learn from?

Please let me know if you have any experience, tips or tricks you can share. I have the time right now so I will start experimenting soon. any advice I can get before I start would be great.

Thanks

Star
Starlite033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Where to learn CAD

A lot of CAD products offer 30 trials. Usually not enough time to actually learn anything more than the basics, but it might give you some insight as to which might be best for you.,

3D Mechanical;
CREO
SolidWorks
NX
CATIA
IDEAS
AutoCAD Designer/Inventor
Solid Edge

3D Animation;
3D MAX
MAYA

Usually ROP Learning Centers offer AutoCAD because it is the least expensive but still has some good capabilities.
Some offer in-school discounts on licensing as well.
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Personally, I use Autodesk's Fusion 360, and I have designed a number of parts specifically for printing through Shapeways. This program does everything you can ask of a free/trial program, is easy to export .stl files for Shapeways, and even exports a few others file types for cnc production. Hell, it even has CAM software for setting up tool paths and whatnot. Not that I know how to use any of that side of it...

PM me if you have any other questions. 3D printed parts can be tricky to design after factoring the machine's resolution, heating and cooling causing shrinkage/warping in parts, and the fact that there are minimum and maximum capabilities for both the material and machine. Most anything you can dream up can be printed, but it may take a few prints to end up with the parts you dreamed of.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the answers guy

I'll start off by looking at Autodesk's Fusion 360 and go from there.

The first ting I want to try out is a NATO Jerry Can. If I can get to that point then I know I'll be able to progress.

Time to go do some learning.

Star
Old 01-19-2015, 04:39 PM   #5

Well just a quick update...

I'm already off to a decent start, turns out I can export my models from eMachineShop.com over to Shapeways.

I'm excited now. It's gonna be a week or so before I can bring home a full scale Jerry Can to measure but at least I can continue working on designs until I learn new skills in a new program.

Now I just need to find more ideas of stuff to make.

This is fun already.

Star
Old 01-21-2015, 08:48 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

You might also be able to down load solidworks student edition. It's free and it's the full package. You just can't make dwg's without the watermark across the sheet. Also The models and assy's will show a student edition icon on the feature manager design tree.
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork View Post
You might also be able to down load solidworks student edition. It's free and it's the full package. You just can't make dwg's without the watermark across the sheet. Also The models and assy's will show a student edition icon on the feature manager design tree.
This is what I have, although Soild Works would only send the key code to a school e-mail address, and the license is only good for 60 days. The key code stays the same so you can reload it for another 60 days but it's a bit of a PIA. If you are a veteran, they will sell you a fully licensed 1 year copy for only $20. You have to send them a notarized copy of your DD-214.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:12 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
This is what I have, although Soild Works would only send the key code to a school e-mail address, and the license is only good for 60 days. The key code stays the same so you can reload it for another 60 days but it's a bit of a PIA. If you are a veteran, they will sell you a fully licensed 1 year copy for only $20. You have to send them a notarized copy of your DD-214.
I'm fortunate enough to have it at work so I'm able to use it at home as well. I did not about the $20 for a vet deal though. Is that the student edition or the pro version?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:25 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork View Post
I'm fortunate enough to have it at work so I'm able to use it at home as well. I did not about the $20 for a vet deal though. Is that the student edition or the pro version?
It's the full version, just at a great discount. I plan on buying it as soon as I can afford to spend $20. ( yes, things are that tight right now)
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:03 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like you have it figured out but I would like to put in a good word for Rhino. It's my CAD program of choice for my RC stuff. It's free to use on a Mac and there are a ton of tutorials on YouTube to help you learn your way around the software.

Best,

James.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:39 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
It's the full version, just at a great discount. I plan on buying it as soon as I can afford to spend $20. ( yes, things are that tight right now)
I'll say it's a great discount! the full version is over $2000.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Another full featured free package is DraftSight by SolidWorks. I use it at home quite a bit but use AutoCAD, Inventor, and SolidWorks at the office. DraftSight is more of a 2D program but can be useful for layouts too.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:28 PM   #13

I will try that out as well then, see what happens.

Thanks

Star

Where to learn CAD - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I really need to learn to weld RickM Paint and Body 4 02-20-2010 02:16 AM
You have much to learn, Grasshopper 860Crawler Non Crawler RC's 24 08-05-2009 06:17 PM
what is the best way to learn how to use cad programs?? Wicked_Jester Chit Chat 12 09-25-2007 08:14 PM