Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Small Nut Driver Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Small Nut Driver Suggestions

So I had the brilliant idea of replacing all of the brass colored bolts on my SSD D-Hole wheels with black ones. While I really like the look, I've now rounded off two Wiha drivers. I really was careful and took my time but some of the bolts were really tight. Ended up using a pair of needle nose pliers and had to paint over a few scratches (and a couple of bolts that just would NOT come out).

Anyway, my question is, what drivers are you guys using for these small (2mm) bolts? I have a set of Dynamite hex drivers that I really like, but the smallest nut driver I've seen from them is 4mm.

Wheels Before:

Wheels After:

Thanks for the help!
IronGut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Small Nut Driver Suggestions

I think you can use align helicopter drivers I know they get small for there 450 size birds. Not sure if they have nut drivers though
stankulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:54 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I scoured the usual haunts & hit up Uncle Google last night but couldn't find any nut drivers, just hex drivers. Thanks for the help, but it looks like my quest continues....
Old 05-19-2015, 07:24 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Tools
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:28 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

LURC's tools probably aren't any better. I used up both that were sent when I put together my Adversarys. I bought a set of Wihas just to finish them. Wera is the other brand with a good rep.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #6
Web Wheeling

Sounds like the hardware has loctite. I would get the wheels up in the oven, then try removing the bolts.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:17 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Maybe use this: 2MM HEX SOCKET TOOLS
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckler View Post
LURC's tools probably aren't any better. I used up both that were sent when I put together my Adversarys. I bought a set of Wihas just to finish them. Wera is the other brand with a good rep.
Sorry to hear that but good to know ahead of time. I would have thought Cobalt was as hard as it gets for tool tips. I was considering the scale HW route but it is already a major ordeal keeping everything tight. I can't stand stripping out HW during routine maintenance.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #9
tc1

I have the WIHA but I faced the end of it so that it isn't as round. Knock on wood, I haven't had any issues yet. I also had a socket from RC4wd that I epoxied on the end of a 2mm hex driver and that worked fine til I lost it... PM me if you need any help!

Travis
tc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:37 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGut View Post
So I had the brilliant idea of replacing all of the brass colored bolts on my SSD D-Hole wheels with black ones. While I really like the look, I've now rounded off two Wiha drivers. I really was careful and took my time but some of the bolts were really tight. Ended up using a pair of needle nose pliers and had to paint over a few scratches (and a couple of bolts that just would NOT come out).

Anyway, my question is, what drivers are you guys using for these small (2mm) bolts? I have a set of Dynamite hex drivers that I really like, but the smallest nut driver I've seen from them is 4mm.
I had no problem with my LURC nut driver and handle for the tiny scale hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainStorm View Post
Sorry to hear that but good to know ahead of time. I would have thought Cobalt was as hard as it gets for tool tips. I was considering the scale HW route but it is already a major ordeal keeping everything tight. I can't stand stripping out HW during routine maintenance.
x2, but I had zero problems with my LURC mini nut driver and scale hardware other than it's really small and my hands aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1 View Post
I have the WIHA but I faced the end of it so that it isn't as round. Knock on wood, I haven't had any issues yet. I also had a socket from RC4wd that I epoxied on the end of a 2mm hex driver and that worked fine til I lost it... PM me if you need any help!

Travis
Wiha tools have been great too. When dealing with very small nut drivers it can be helpful to grind the end of the wrench flat (just eliminate the chamfered part of the driver socket) so that you get more engagement with the bolt head.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Maybe use this: 2MM HEX SOCKET TOOLS
How'd I miss these? Great catch! Thanks!!
Old 05-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1 View Post

Travis
Thanks for the tip. I had know idea about facing. I'm an IT guy who has only rarely had a need to use hand tools (especially tiny ones) so I feel like a kid again learning all this stuff. Thanks again for the tip. I still have both Wiha drivers so I'll have to try facing them before I buy something else.

Small Nut Driver Suggestions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi nut driver set tip. navyeoseabee Tools, and Procedures 7 11-25-2014 05:55 AM