Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures
Loading

Notices

Thread: 3D Printers

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2022, 08:16 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave
 
cartronicshn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HONDURAS...ROCK HEAVEN
Posts: 5,059
Default Re: 3D Printers

ender 5 pro? besides larger printing area, is it worth getting over the 3 pro?
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2022, 02:12 AM   #22
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Terrassa/Barcelona
Posts: 920
Default Re: 3D Printers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
ender 5 pro? besides larger printing area, is it worth getting over the 3 pro?
Since they reduced the price it is a very good option...when you change him to Klipper. ITs a bit loud though
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:09 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave
 
cartronicshn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HONDURAS...ROCK HEAVEN
Posts: 5,059
Default Re: 3D Printers

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Since they reduced the price it is a very good option...when you change him to Klipper. ITs a bit loud though
Please enlighten me on klipper, Iam completely ignorant on 3d printers, only thing I know is am getting one.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 03:50 PM   #24
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: A house
Posts: 31
Default Re: 3D Printers

Opinions on 3d printers are just like all other opinions:
Everybody has one and they all .... 'nuff said.


I got my first and only 3d printer a year ago after a good bit of research: an Ender 5 Plus.


It is about twice the cost of 3 at around $600 but it has the BL touch, glass bed (2 common upgrades for the 3) as well as a larger print bed which can be handy for bodies.



A couple of people I know got Ender 3s to save money not long after and had difficulties getting started.
One powered through and figured it out and is going fine.
The other returned his and got a 5 Plus. Set it up and was printing the first day.


My point being: IF you go Creality know that the Ender 3 is a bit more finicky to set up and tweak as time goes on. Put the time in and learn how to do it and it will be great.


But the Ender 5s (and maybe newer ones?) are easier to get started and simpler to keep print well.


I have printed:
a Land Rover Series II (found free on web) body for my TRX-4
A couple of 3DSets trucks
Many many other oddball things
Currently in the process of print parts for 1/10 scale R/C Sherman Tank


In the last year I have probably averaged printing about 16 hours a day for all but a 4 month period when I was just too busy with work to screw with printing stuff.


My personal take:

Ender 5 is worth the premium over the 3.
dugans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:17 PM   #25
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Terrassa/Barcelona
Posts: 920
Default Re: 3D Printers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Please enlighten me on klipper, Iam completely ignorant on 3d printers, only thing I know is am getting one.
https://youtu.be/zc9TBEprCYM
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:16 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave
 
cartronicshn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HONDURAS...ROCK HEAVEN
Posts: 5,059
Default Re: 3D Printers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugans View Post
Opinions on 3d printers are just like all other opinions:
Everybody has one and they all .... 'nuff said.


I got my first and only 3d printer a year ago after a good bit of research: an Ender 5 Plus.


It is about twice the cost of 3 at around $600 but it has the BL touch, glass bed (2 common upgrades for the 3) as well as a larger print bed which can be handy for bodies.



A couple of people I know got Ender 3s to save money not long after and had difficulties getting started.
One powered through and figured it out and is going fine.
The other returned his and got a 5 Plus. Set it up and was printing the first day.


My point being: IF you go Creality know that the Ender 3 is a bit more finicky to set up and tweak as time goes on. Put the time in and learn how to do it and it will be great.


But the Ender 5s (and maybe newer ones?) are easier to get started and simpler to keep print well.


I have printed:
a Land Rover Series II (found free on web) body for my TRX-4
A couple of 3DSets trucks
Many many other oddball things
Currently in the process of print parts for 1/10 scale R/C Sherman Tank


In the last year I have probably averaged printing about 16 hours a day for all but a 4 month period when I was just too busy with work to screw with printing stuff.


My personal take:

Ender 5 is worth the premium over the 3.
Thx, i am looking at the ender 5 pro model, the one i am looking at is $299 with shipping, the plus is liitle over my budget, i seen the comparison for both and the only thing better from the 3 pro over the 5pro is the 5 pro has the older firmware, not sure if that is a problem or not?
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:21 AM   #27
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: A house
Posts: 31
Default Re: 3D Printers

My experience is pretty limited in reality- I have only messed with my own printer and helped out 2 people with Ender 3s.

One of the things that I think helps make the ender 5 Plus easier to use is the dual Z axis motors:
the print bed goes up and down and is securely controlled on 2 sides with drive motors.
I think (could be wrong) that the 5 Pro has a single z axis drive

Many printers moved the print bed around and raise the printhead - seems to me this can have leveling consistency issues due to all the movement of the print bed.

Keeping the bed in one place and raising/lowering it on the z axis seems a better design to me. And have the print bed controlled on two sides rather than one seems better still.

This is just my opinion, of course and the cost difference is significant, but I went that route and have no regrets.
dugans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:06 PM   #28
Ots
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Glendora
Posts: 197
Default Re: 3D Printers

OK - thanks for all of the help and info. Ordered the Ender 5 Plus.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:02 PM   #29
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Terrassa/Barcelona
Posts: 920
Default Re: 3D Printers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ots View Post
OK - thanks for all of the help and info. Ordered the Ender 5 Plus.
Once set up right you will be very happy...follow https://3dprintbeginner.com/ on discord....you get loooots of help
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 03:20 PM   #30
Slow is the new fast
 
smog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 2,632
Default Re: 3D Printers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ots View Post
OK - thanks for all of the help and info. Ordered the Ender 5 Plus.
Nice! I am likely going to pick up an ender to start as well. Price, availability and all of the online user support makes is seem like a safe start. I should have enough patience to be sure my bed is properly leveled and my x and y are in line.

Sounds like you can print bodies on an ender 5, I would love to watch that unfold
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:27 PM   #31
Ots
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Glendora
Posts: 197
Default Re: 3D Printers

Name:  Mess.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  120.5 KB

At least I got it placed into "Catastrophe Corner!"

Now starts the long haul of getting me up to speed!
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:12 PM   #32
Slow is the new fast
 
smog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 2,632
Default Re: 3D Printers

lets hope that printer helps you forget the name of the corner itís in. Man, didnít realize the 5 was that large. Think I will look closer at the 3. Look forward to hearing how it all goes for ya
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:14 PM   #33
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: A house
Posts: 31
Default Re: 3D Printers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ots View Post
Attachment 398937

At least I got it placed into "Catastrophe Corner!"

Now starts the long haul of getting me up to speed!



Congrats!


Hopefully your experience will be as good as mine has been...


dugans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 05:48 PM   #34
Ots
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Glendora
Posts: 197
Default Re: 3D Printers

Name:  Alive!.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  120.3 KB

It's Alive! Printing a rabbit.

Still having problems taking a file from Fusion 360 to the slicer then to the SD card such that it's printable.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 05:27 AM   #35
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Terrassa/Barcelona
Posts: 920
Default Re: 3D Printers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ots View Post
Attachment 398977

It's Alive! Printing a rabbit.

Still having problems taking a file from Fusion 360 to the slicer then to the SD card such that it's printable.
Dont download the Fusion360 file as STL...better to move it to your slicer via 3MF file ...faster and needs less space.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 10:35 AM   #36
Ots
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Glendora
Posts: 197
Default Re: 3D Printers

OK - I see 3MF as a file type option for exporting the file.

I'll see if I can make this work. Thanks.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:49 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: brainerd
Posts: 157
Default Re: 3D Printers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ots View Post
OK - I see 3MF as a file type option for exporting the file.

I'll see if I can make this work. Thanks.
you can also right click on the "body section on the menu on the right side and click export as mesh and it will save it as a 3mf file then put that in your slicer. also make sure the name isnt to long or it wont show up on the ender 5 plus screen. watch harley designs stl sunday vids have learned allot from that and its nice because its all rc related
ben h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 02:48 PM   #38
Ots
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Glendora
Posts: 197
Default Re: 3D Printers

Got it working. Now just gotta figure out what I'm going to make.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 11:42 AM   #39
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Calgary - in the Great White North
Posts: 1,370
Default Re: 3D Printers

I have a Prusa i3 Mk3s at home, four ender 3 v2s and a Creality CR10s at school. I spend no time fiddle farting around with the Prusa, it just seems to work. The CR10s has had many upgrades including firmware. The Enders are OK but we've had parts break and have down time as we replace them. Haven't modded much on those as of yet. I like the fact that I don't have to fix or modify the Prusa. It just works.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:15 PM   #40
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 33
Default Re: 3D Printers

I have an MK3S+, it hasn't let me down yet (18mo). It was my first printer and I have added zero modifications or upgrades... it needs occasional cleaning, tuning, etc... but I have no complaints. I got exactly what I expected.
TheMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



3D Printers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3D printers? vwdaveb Tools, and Procedures 5 05-05-2015 09:19 PM
3D Printers lostonthetrails Chit Chat 30 03-28-2014 08:12 AM
what printers do you use???? fishfever Newbie General 0 12-29-2008 08:33 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com