Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: silver solder for a tuber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default silver solder for a tuber

I have searched and this is what i have learned.I will be building a 1/10 scale tube chassis for my wheely king using 3/16 brake line.I need a torch with mapp gas, got it.Some 3/16 brake line , ten feet should that be enough?Some silver solder,this is confusing to me.I can't find harris safety 45 around here.I went to home depot and they had some silver solder made by oatly (about $7.00 for 8 oz.) but it didn't say the % of silver so i didn't get it.I went to a welding store and they had silver solder 1/16 dia. for $34.99 for one oz.Is that a high price for that?I read that i will need about 3 oz. to build a tuber,that sound about right?Can i just use any silver solder?if not then what % silver content should i be looking for?

I'm not sure about this silver solder heres why.I built a pair of snowshoe's using 1/2'' copper pipe and i soldered all the joints with some old solder.I don't even know what kind it is but it is lead based and i don't think it is silver solder it's to dull and i found it mixed in a bunch of plumbing stuff.So all winter i walked through the snow up and down mountains and not one joint even cracked and i weigh 200 lbs.250 with a full pack.Wy can't i use reg solder for my tuber?I know silver solder is suposed to be stronger but regular plumbers solder held copper snowshoes with 200+ lbs why not a tube frame?

Last edited by ridgewalker; 06-25-2007 at 02:33 PM.
ridgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

You want silver content brazing wire, not solder as you describe.

You can try the cheaper solder but it won't be nearly as strong. I'm guessing you didn't build your snow shoes (cool idea) from 3/16" tube, but probably used something much bigger with more attachment area....thus the joint would be much stronger.

Usually takes an ounce or less to build a reasonably complex Clod/TXT chassis....less for a 2.2 scale chassis.

Jay

Last edited by roktoy; 06-25-2007 at 02:42 PM.
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

No i used 1/2'' copperpipe.So at the welding&gas supply store they said that the stuff for $34.99 is what refrigerator repair men use cause of high pressure.So it takes about an ounce, is $34.99 the average price for it?Is that a troy ounce,i don't know if there is a difference.Some call it brazing and some call it soldering or hard soldering,depends who you talk that has been my experience looking for it today grrr!I have to find it localy.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Here is a link to an online store. ram welding supplies. harris safety silv 45 and 56.
https://secure.ramweldingsupply.com/...list.mcic?c=82

You should be able to use 1 troy once to build 1 rig and you'll need some flux.
I'd suggest getting 2 t.o. just incase.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I spent a lot of time looking for safty silv myself... then a few weeks ago I was driving home and happen to notice that the Harris Corporate headquarters was about 2 min from my house, I am gonna stop in to get some al-cor aluminum braze and try a full aluminum tuber. Worst comes to worse, PM me and I can pick you some up and send it out.

To answer your question about the home depot stuff... stay away from it, i found it needs to be far too hot to braze brake line, solid rod it will do fine- brake line overheats too quickly. You want the Harris, trust me.
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:45 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the link i found what i was looking for but i need to find it locally.I can only find it for 34.99 per. troy oz. so it must be a higher % silver.It seems that 45 % or 56% is good i'll keep that in mind.Has anybody bought there supplies at a national brand store like home depot or something?I'm having trouble finding silver solder / brazing wire?Mabey could someone take a pic of this silver solder or brazing wire that you use,and the package it comes in thank you.

Last edited by ridgewalker; 06-25-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Thanks for the link i found what i was looking for but i need to find it locally.I can only find it for 34.99 per. troy oz. so it must be a higher % silver.It seems that 45 % or 56% is good i'll keep that in mind.Has anybody bought there supplies at a national brand store like home depot or something?I'm having trouble finding silver solder / brazing wire?Mabey could someone take a pic of this silver solder or brazing wire that you use,and the package it comes in thank you.
The one I linked you to is what I use and how it looks.
I can see the price for harris safety silve 56 being in the $35 range. I paid around $26 for my last one.

Mr. Pink could you kindly PM me with the price you get yours for. If it's cheaper to paypal you to buy and ship then I'd go that route. Even for $5.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

https://secure.ramweldingsupply.com/...ew.mcic?s=1423

is that good for building a tuber?? how many ounces will i need??
Mikekx65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Mikekx65 that is the best I've used so far.

I'd say 2 t.o. even if you don't use the extra one on this build I'm sure there will be another. And beats paying the shipping again.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

alright thanks j it will cost me $32 shipped for an t.o is this good??
Old 06-27-2007, 03:25 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Location: Ramstein Air Base Germany ...ya Ive been Ramshafted
Default Solder is just fine if done right

Ive been in the process of building my comp tuber for a while now. I decided to use brake line and solder for my project. Im a very detailed oriented person and test everything I do before I go further. I am using a solder called (Forney Acid Core Metal Repair Solder) It works great!!! When aplied with the correct heat its Extreamly hard to break! Ive tested all types of angles and joint combinations and have have tried like hell to break them. The brake tubing bends all to crap, and the joints never failed so it is my conclusion that this method will suit just fine! Im about 3/4 done with my tuber now pics of my build will be posted after I finnish. If you have any questions just ask! Also I am using Map Gas on 2 different size torches depending on the task.
CCFBERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:21 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekx65 View Post
alright thanks j it will cost me $32 shipped for an t.o is this good??
That's not bad. I pay around $26 locally. They're price is good just there shipping and handling charges suck. That's why I said get two unless you know you'll only need one.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
That's not bad. I pay around $26 locally. They're price is good just there shipping and handling charges suck. That's why I said get two unless you know you'll only need one.

yea do you think they would have somthing like that at a ace hardware? its a franchise store and they do welding supply too i work there but never thought of checking to see if they had it or not
Old 06-27-2007, 07:50 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
yea do you think they would have somthing like that at a ace hardware? its a franchise store and they do welding supply too i work there but never thought of checking to see if they had it or not
no, they wont.

google harris brazing and ask them to find the distributors in your area (zipcode) they are really good about getting back to emails.
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

u dont think they will have it? its a welding supply too heck ill just go check tomarro if the stuff is cheap (since i get a discount then maybe i can help u guys out cuz these places on the net just charge way to much for shipping (like 7-10 bucks) to ship somthing that weighs an ounce
Old 06-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I saw some of tha acid core metal repair solder at home depot.I was wondering if it would work since it's a metal repair solder and i glad to hear it is working for you.Can you post up a pic of a joint that you soldered with it,thanks.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:05 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
u dont think they will have it? its a welding supply too heck ill just go check tomarro if the stuff is cheap (since i get a discount then maybe i can help u guys out cuz these places on the net just charge way to much for shipping (like 7-10 bucks) to ship somthing that weighs an ounce
Yeah the shipping is high because they add a handeling charge on it.
The only way Ace will have it is if their welding supply is a seperate intety than the chain. I think. But if you can get it and at a cheaper cost I'll buy it from you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
I saw some of tha acid core metal repair solder at home depot.I was wondering if it would work since it's a metal repair solder and i glad to hear it is working for you.Can you post up a pic of a joint that you soldered with it,thanks.
The acid core stuff didn't work for me. It was more like soldering and wouldn't hold the "weld" as well as the safty silv. I've tried a few different types and so far the best has been harris safety silv.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:49 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

thanks double j yea its called bakers gas and welding supply and its an ace but the do propane and welding too ill call them later to see if that have it