Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: How I plan a TUBER build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default How I plan a TUBER build

Thought I'd through this togeather in hopes of helping someone out when they decide to build their own tuber.

Since I build for others 99% of the time they like to have something to look at before I ever start bending and brazing.

so I thought I'd take you on a little trip through my planning process.

I tried to keep it simple as to not get to complicated.
I do encourage others to add their 2 cents on what they may or maynot do.
I also know that I do some things different that my be or may not be more difficult to others. For example: I like to have curves on my tubers some hate them some don't, some just can't do it and some can. I made this with almost no curves for simplicity. so take this for what it is.

You'll also need to understand that no matter how well you plan (with some exceptions) your end result will never be 100% identical to your drawing plans.

Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Location: Ramstein Air Base Germany ...ya Ive been Ramshafted

Double J,

I think what you have done here is wonderfull!! Although I have my own method, I still learned some things from your post here. I realy like to see stuff like this on here. Informative, inovation. Deffinatly one of the best informative posts Ive seen here.

So ...... I may use this in the future, my way isnt always the best way so Im open to new things always.

Just want to say thanks!

Shawn
CCFBERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Thanks I appreciate the positive feed back.

I understand that there is more than one way to do this for sure. I know my way may not be the best way for others and vise versa. But I think this will get the ball rollen for some folks and will help some that may have been doing it for a while.

I would like it if other builders would share how they do things. I know I'm always willing and wanting to learn new things or tricks.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
PapaGriz Yo

Very nice, and helpful, I'm sure this will help alot of people DubJ.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Do you typically provide a nice drawing like this when working with a customer purchasing a Double J tube chassis or other tube products from you?
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:57 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Good stuff Double J. Thanks for sharing.

One note for the uninformed who are building a rig for competition, to meet current tuber rules, it should resemble in some way a 1:1 chassis.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Grizzly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
Good stuff Double J. Thanks for sharing.

One note for the uninformed who are building a rig for competition, to meet current tuber rules, it should resemble in some way a 1:1 chassis.
That is correct. should resemble or could resemble a 1:1 as I like to say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Do you typically provide a nice drawing like this when working with a customer purchasing a Double J tube chassis or other tube products from you?
Yes I do. When I take a deposite for my tubers I'll start on a design based off of what the customer wants and will tune it to their liking. Once I get the OK on the design I'll print it out and put it in line with the other builds.

On some of the more scale stuff we'll get the basics or I'll even draw a close to real of the body and make the designs off that. like in the last pic it's a Bruise (yota) I'll use a pic like this to show what an exo may look like or custom bumper. other times I'll use a real pic I snaged off the net and design around that.

This one was done before the current rules.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Thats really a great way to insure customer satisfaction very professional. Thanks for the schooling on your design process
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:46 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for another great write up . What CAD program are you using, all I have are my Drafting tools. They work so far, but a CAD program would be alot nicer.
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:04 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagg View Post
Thanks for another great write up . What CAD program are you using, all I have are my Drafting tools. They work so far, but a CAD program would be alot nicer.
Thanks

Thats funny right there. I wish I had a computer that I could load cad on to. I need to sell quite a few more Tubers, Bulls and Trailbeaters so I can buy a new computer for Christmas.

I actually use MS word and the drawing tools to make them.

Just goes to show anyone can do it.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Take it from me Double J is right, you need a plan. I am in the process of back tracking on my first attempt due to NO plan at all. I just started bending and brazing without really knowing what would come next. I may end up with something but it's going to be a surprise.

I also must make better joints for looks, strength and amount of #45 use. I used up the best part of an OZ filling gaps and just over using on my first try. Must slow down and make it fit better before heating. I also made the mistake of using 1/4" tubing. That stuff is not easy to bend, stronger I guess but bigger than I needed.
CRAWL_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:33 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

wow, you go thru all of that to build a tuber. Man, I just sketch out some designs for a bout a month or a year, get some tube and start bending. Then I usually cut something off for function re-do it and walla. I should probably be more diligant in my builds.

Nah!, Nice work Double J on the write up though
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

awesome! thanks double j, this is exactly what I've been looking for! should be stickied or put in with the tech section..
TOYUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:10 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
Thanks

I actually use MS word and the drawing tools to make them.

Just goes to show anyone can do it.
WOW........From all the advice and threads I have read of yours, I'd have never guessed. Thats something I hadn't even thought to try. I guess the keep it simple rule really does apply .
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:00 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWL_BOY
Take it from me Double J is right, you need a plan. I am in the process of back tracking on my first attempt due to NO plan at all. I just started bending and brazing without really knowing what would come next. I may end up with something but it's going to be a surprise.
I also must make better joints for looks, strength and amount of #45 use. I used up the best part of an OZ filling gaps and just over using on my first try. Must slow down and make it fit better before heating. I also made the mistake of using 1/4" tubing. That stuff is not easy to bend, stronger I guess but bigger than I needed.
thanks, but as one of my favorite TV painters would say there are no mistakes just happy accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep;
wow, you go thru all of that to build a tuber. Man, I just sketch out some designs for a bout a month or a year, get some tube and start bending. Then I usually cut something off for function re-do it and walla. I should probably be more diligant in my builds.
Nah!, Nice work Double J on the write up though
There is always somethings that will change some of the time no matter how well you plan it out. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYUTAH
awesome! thanks double j, this is exactly what I've been looking for! should be stickied or put in with the tech section..
Glad I could be of some help.
I'll be adding this with some other info to the brazing video sticky at the top after I get alot of the info put togeather and have some help/imput from other builders like Mr.P!ink and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagg
WOW........From all the advice and threads I have read of yours, I'd have never guessed. Thats something I hadn't even thought to try. I guess the keep it simple rule really does apply .
If I had CAD I'd defenatly use it. I just use what I have and can make it work for me. I also have sheets of designs on paper. Some customers want a 3D of what a design might look like at that point I'll usually draw it out and scan it in.

Again thanks everyoen for the props and look forward to having other builders post what they do when coming up with something.

I'll be working on a complete start to finish "how to" on building tubers and getting input/help from other tuber fabricators. I love learning new ways to do things an look forward to others inputs and advice.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:30 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
wow, you go thru all of that to build a tuber. Man, I just sketch out some designs...
Hell..I've never even done that much.. (points to head) it's all right right here.Nice info X2J.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:47 PM   #17
REST IN ALOHA CHIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405 View Post
Hell..I've never even done that much.. (points to head) it's all right right here.Nice info X2J.
after thinking about what he just said, begins scratching head. he replies, "no brains but phenomenal memory retention."
YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:13 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

DJ, quick question:

in the OP, you drew a box according to the 2.2 rules, but some of the tubes you drew go outside that box at the rear of the chassis. Was that a mistake (i.e. a ROUGH sketch) or did you purposely draw it like that?

thanks!
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:43 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
DJ, quick question:

in the OP, you drew a box according to the 2.2 rules, but some of the tubes you drew go outside that box at the rear of the chassis. Was that a mistake (i.e. a ROUGH sketch) or did you purposely draw it like that?

thanks!
I use the box strickly to keep with in the rules as they are at the moment.
Then draw to whatever the customer want's or what looks right/good.
Some people want them to look a certain way, so that means it will end up being longer than the current rules.
I've had a couple saying they wanted it to just meet the rules demensions. making it tinny.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:45 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

ahh, I get it, thanks!
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote