Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: solid axle conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default solid axle conversion

I am new to the world maxx crawlers. I would like to make a set of solid axle's, similar to the kind that are fully encased in an aluminum tube. What is the best angle to set them at? I have a set of wide cvd's. I would like to keep some angle so as to gain more ground clearance. I am also using 6 1/4 inch shocks to allow for the max articulation. Also is it possible to use f/r cvd dogbone's for transmition drivelines? I am building a fairly large truck.
Any information or detailed pictures ( with tires off ) would be helpfull.
Thanks
cruiserkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

After 66 people and no one has any information. I am not looking to steal anyones design just need a little direction.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I havent seen many CVD's that hold up in time, Use revo shafts insetad, you can use them on the tranny side also

Use an arch/degree of 10 that will be enough

Good luck building it
crawl rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #4

Default Tmaxx Solid Axles

I MADE SOME OUT OF METAL PIPE AND BIG WASHERS AND JUST WELDED THEM TOGETHER , I USED THE REVO SHAFTS AND THE TMAXX DIFF,S ALSO THE REVO ENDS , IF YOU NEED SOME PICK,S LET ME KNOW AND I COULD SEND THEM TO YOU OR POST THEM ON HERE . ALSO I MAKE MY OWN TUBE CHASSIS . I AM NOT WORRIED IF YOU USE THE IDEA , BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THIS SPORT IS ALL A BOUGHT , I HAVE SOME PICK,S OF MY TRUCKS IN THE NEWBIE SECTION UNDER MY TRUCKS CHECK THEM AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK . HOPE THIS HELP,S OUT
MIKE
rocketprf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketprf View Post
I MADE SOME OUT OF METAL PIPE AND BIG WASHERS AND JUST WELDED THEM TOGETHER , I USED THE REVO SHAFTS AND THE TMAXX DIFF,S ALSO THE REVO ENDS , IF YOU NEED SOME PICK,S LET ME KNOW AND I COULD SEND THEM TO YOU OR POST THEM ON HERE . ALSO I MAKE MY OWN TUBE CHASSIS . I AM NOT WORRIED IF YOU USE THE IDEA , BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THIS SPORT IS ALL A BOUGHT , I HAVE SOME PICK,S OF MY TRUCKS IN THE NEWBIE SECTION UNDER MY TRUCKS CHECK THEM AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK . HOPE THIS HELP,S OUT
MIKE
TRY TO LEARN HOW TO NOT USE THE CAPS LOCK BUTTOON ITS LIKE YOU YELLING!!!!
crawl rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketprf View Post
MIKE
I would like to see some more pictures , if possible one with a wheel off to see the connection to the steering knuckle.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserkb View Post
I am also using 6 1/4 inch shocks to allow for the max articulation.
There's a whole lot more to suspension design than max articulation. With shocks that long, you'll end up with a chassis that has to be too tall, killing your center of gravity, and you'll end up with too much flex. More than about 60 degrees will get you stuck more often than it'll help. Study up about anti-squat, roll center, instant center, link ratio, just to name a few-that's what you need to think about for an effective suspension.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:46 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
There's a whole lot more to suspension design than max articulation. With shocks that long, you'll end up with a chassis that has to be too tall, killing your center of gravity, and you'll end up with too much flex. More than about 60 degrees will get you stuck more often than it'll help. Study up about anti-squat, roll center, instant center, link ratio, just to name a few-that's what you need to think about for an effective suspension.
This build is for a super class 1/8 scale truck. If I place the frame 2" above the axle centerline i get 56 deg. for the shocks.