Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Custom E-Maxx Transmission Idea...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question Custom E-Maxx Transmission Idea...

Ok, those of you who have been into an E-Maxx transmission know that the idler gears sit on an off-set shaft, where each side has a shaft that is not inline with the other, thus allowing the 1st & 2nd gear-sets to work properly. Well, since a lot of us who use these transmissions for crawlers lock them into 1st gear, I had a great idea...when you lock the transmission into 1st gear, you are left with the unused 2nd gear components in the transmission, and a case that is still full-size. It's easy enough to grind down the 2nd input & output gears, and remove the idler gear, but you still have the ground down pieces in the transmission, and a transmission that is still large enough to hold both gear-sets, but you're only using one. You can make spacers to replace the ground down input & output gears, but I have a better solution. How about putting the 1st gears where the 2nd gears used to be, and then using a G-Maxx single-speed transmission cover? You get a half-case transmission that is half its original size, with only the 1st gears in it...perfect! Well, there is one small problem...when you go to put the 1st gears in the 2nd gear side of the transmission, you realize quickly that the off-set idler shaft puts the 1st idler gear too far away from the input, and too close to the output gears...DANG! This is where my idea comes in...if someone simply built an E-Maxx transmission case that repositions the idler gear shaft where it needs to be, we would have a very nice 1st gear, single-speed, half-case transmission...half the weight and half the size of the original transmission!

What do you guys think?
Chadworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
Suck it up!

lol...a few weeks ago I went through the same thought process you just did...exactly. I ended up marking the inside of the case around the 1st gear gears, then cut off what i didn't need on both halves. Then, bolt the motor to the plate, tighten it down so that it will be at its closest point to the trans. Re-clock the plate on the trans to get the motor as tucked in as possible. Mark your new holes, drill them, and mount the plate/motor to the trans.

You can also mark and cut the plate around the motor to remove as much material as needed to gain some room and lose some weight.

I think I narrowed up the motor/trans assy by nearly 1/2" doing this...it no longer sticks out of my chassis.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote