Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project syco Started....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2005, 10:41 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Project syco Started....

Ok i have started to tear my sons emaxx apart and build a better crawler out of it. I am going to custom build a chassis for it. Of course both diffs are locked. I took the front shocks off and stuck in a emaxx link to lock the front and rear suspensions. Still have to do the back. I also started on the front servo mount. I cut off the excess plastic on the front to level it out to mount a servo. Going to do the same for the rear.

I am going to be running a Magnetic Mayhem on a GD600. And after talking to Twisted i will be running a 18T on the motor and a 12T or 14T on the gd 600 to the 72T spur.

The tranny is not as high as it looks. the angle of the picture makes it look really high. From the very bottom of the tranny i plan on having about 5 1/4" of ground clearance. I am using that peice of brass for mock up and figure out the angles of the chassis. The chassis is going to be built out of some aluminum. it will bolt directly to the front axle, angle up to the tranny and then angle back down to the rear axle. It will be one solid piece. So with this setup the truck will have little if no flex at all. If i decide i don't like it that way i may try and put one shock back in each corner.

Me, syco133 and highmark have ran our clods some with NO FLEX and it is working pretty good. Only time will tell though.

OK, So let me have it. The good and the bad. thanks
Attached Images

Xtreme RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2005, 10:45 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Well actually the tranny is a little high as it sits. I kept looking at it and went back out and measured it. It is sitting about with a 6 1/4" ground clearance right there. I will lower it about an 1" or so.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:50 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I'M tellin yea it will never work Looks good so far keep us posted.
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:57 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Looks really great so far, keep that tranny as low as you can.
Post up as y build it up.
Wild trial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:48 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

looks nice can not wait till done
to-fast-4-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:30 AM   #6
Colt Python/SR9c

its a start is that the big Gravedigger body that you get from Walmart??

Colton has one and I thought about using that body on a gigantic project like your old hummer
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:25 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

How is it going to be a crawler if there is no flex? You have the front axle lockedout so now I'm confused. I think that star of it looks cool man! Please keep posting pics so I can see some ideas.

Last edited by crazy4ink; 11-16-2005 at 08:27 AM.
crazy4ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4ink
How is it going to be a crawler if there is no flex? You have the front axle lockedout so now I'm confused. I think that star of it looks cool man! Please keep posting pics so I can see some ideas.
The locked lower/upper arms and diff assembly will be attached to the chassis with links.
mase_00_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:20 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mase_00_7
The locked lower/upper arms and diff assembly will be attached to the chassis with links.

Nope it is solid mounted here man.The bulkhead mounts directly to the chassy the flex will come from the chassy its self so far 4 of us around here have built no suspension trucks that work pretty dang good but this is the first shafty that is going to have it.
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:22 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by syco133
Nope it is solid mounted here man.The bulkhead mounts directly to the chassy the flex will come from the chassy its self so far 4 of us around here have built no suspension trucks that work pretty dang good but this is the first shafty that is going to have it.
That is correct. There will be no links on this truck.

More to come soon!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 01:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Wow! ya got me there!

lol, sounds like a tricky way of flex'ing, be very interested to see the progression of this one
mase_00_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:53 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

So are you actualy going for some flex David? Or a rigid set-up like Alf? If you're truck flexes any you're going to be doing alot of three wheeling. This is because the transmission will be attached to the back bone, and because it will be easier for the back bone to twist and the truck to tourqe roll rather than move the truck. I would HIGHLY recomend that you stick with a very rigid design or go to a 4 link.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 08:14 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
its a start is that the big Gravedigger body that you get from Walmart??

Colton has one and I thought about using that body on a gigantic project like your old hummer
No it is a proline lexan gravedigger body.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:40 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Ok i got real close to finishing the max up today. Got the chassis bent into shape. Got the front steering hooked up.

I kept looking and looking on how to mount the tranny. Trying to keep it as low as possible to help with the COG. I finally decide to lay it on its side. so i mounted it up like that. It turned out great i think and works awsome. I also mounted it a little closer to the front for alittle extra weight in the front. I had the motor mounted in the bottom of the tranny but then decided to move it to the top and maybe cut off the bottom of the motor plate. I will definitely be making a skid plate. I can gain about 3/4" of an inch ground clearance. As it sits i have about 5.5" and i can get around 6" or so if i cut the bottom plate off. Got the rear links in place of the shocks. So everything is locked. I have maybe about 3" of flex. I know that sounds dumb, but it works pretty good. It is still in the developemental stages though.

Well i got the front drive shaft hooked up. Tomorrow i will swing by the LHS and pick a couple of revo shafts. One for the rear and probably swap out the front one so they will match.

Thing to do:

Install rear drive shaft.
Install rear steering just like the front.
cut off bottom of motor plate and make a skid plate. Maybe? I am going to drive it as is and maybe put the motor back to the bottom and see if i can tell any difference.

Oh, one last thing. Wanna know what the chassis is made out of. Check out the pics. LOL.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2005, 08:43 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

more pics
Attached Images

Last edited by Xtreme RC; 11-19-2005 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:04 PM   #16
Colt Python/SR9c

very different.. but to me that is a high CoG.. specially if the motor sits up at 8 1/2"
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:23 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Yea...and it also looks like your going to get hung up on the drive shafts and tranny big time.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:28 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Ok, I know I'm new to R/C crawling, but please help me understand something...

Your axles are locked so that they are solid axles now
Your chassis is rigid (I know there will be some twist/flex)
There are no shocks

I don't understand how it will crawl/articulate to keep the tires down since the chassis bolts right to the diff bulkheads. I'm not trying to pick at your design at all, just not understanding it. Please explain
crazy4ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:32 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
very different.. but to me that is a high CoG.. specially if the motor sits up at 8 1/2"
Yeah. the flat top of the chassis is sitting at 8". I can put the motor back down into the bottom of the motor plate. that will put the motor more at 6" to 6.5". It wouldn't be that hard to lower the whole tranny if i need to. I am going to try it out tomorrow as is. then put the motor back down in the bottom and see how much difference it makes.

AdamF, yeah i agree. Once i figure out what i am going to do with the tranny and motor plate i will be making a long, narrow skid plate to slide on the rocks. Just trying to think outside of the bod alittle. Trying some different things.

Thanks for the comments. Keep'um coming. Good or bad.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:38 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF
Yea...and it also looks like your going to get hung up on the drive shafts and tranny big time.
Yeap i did. Figured i would also. New i would need a skid.

Well I got my revo shafts installed and got the GD600 installed. That is a must have. 18t on the motor and a 12t to the 72t spur. Kept the wheel speed that i like but gained a lot of torque. Will be trying a 14t shortly.

This thing crawled pretty good. I definitely need a skid of course. I also took off the front and rear links that locked the axles. I put one shock back on each corner. Getting that little bit of flex did a little better also. Also i have pretty much no torque twist at all. I guess it is because of the solid chassis to the axles. Since i am not using links. Needs just alittle more fabbing and it will be awsome. I will get some video this Friday at GR kicking syco133's azzzzzz. I will have my clod out there also though. More pics and video coming soon.