Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: E-Maxx not doing wheelies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2004, 02:46 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default E-Maxx not doing wheelies

I picked up an E-Maxx from a guy off of Clodtalk last week and when I got it, it doesn't pull wheelies at all. It has all kinds of RPM parts so I am sure it is because it is a little heavier, but it will not pull wheelies at all.

I have made sure that all the batteries are charged, I have used 1500's and 3000's. I have tightened up the slipper clutch, I have reprogrammed the ESC. I think I have covered it all, and still no wheelies.

This also have 14T pinions, which should shoot it out of the hole even faster, but it doesn't.

Anyway, if you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it. I am going down to a road race this weekend (1:1 AI/CMC race) and wanted to take it along, but may end up leaving it due to the lack of wheeli poppin fun.

Thanks
Mark
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2004, 06:23 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: E-Maxx not doing wheelies

Try Glueing the tires. All the RPM products arent that much heavier than stock, but are much more durable. Also, try cleaning the motors, get a can of compressed air and shoot out all the brush dust. How old are the batteries? They should give you great punch, Im running 1900's and I get too many wheelies.
Jim511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 07:10 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The tires are glued. The batteries are about 6-8 months old.

I will pull the motors and clean them out. I have some electric motor cleaner. Should I use that, or just blow it out with my air compressor? I have a large 220V machine.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:21 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

What all is on the truck? (electronics) Which motors? Speed Control? Are you setting the Radio correctly? I have an E-maxx myself and it pulls wheelies with some 5 year old 1500's. What gear are you starting out in? First gear should give you more than enough torque. I am using the stock 18t pinions and 66t spur in my truck.

Are you sure your batteries are holding a good charge? That is the very first place I would look.

Hope you can get er figured out
Jam1sstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 12:07 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

All the electronics are factory except the steering servo. I had to put the HiTech 645 on it because the 2055 was locked up when I got it.

I followed the ESC programming as per the manual. I even disconnected the motors as it stated.

I am using a Duratrax twin peak charger. It is an automatic charger from what I understand. I know it is not the best, but it does work well, or at least from what I have noticed.

It also doesn't matter weather I am in low or hi gear, it doesn't pull wheelies.

I hope I can figure it out too. From what I understand, the motors are worn out. That is what the LHS told me. So, I am looking to pick up some new motors.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:52 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

The motors are most likely the culprit, but you could try and borrow some batteries from someone or maybe even one of the LHS guys just to do a quick check. Another possibility is that the 4 tiny screws holding the the ring gear to the diff could have sheared off, as they did in my truck. It would still seem like it had 4WD from the friction, but under heavy load, they would just spin, reducing the torque to the wheels.

Destroyer
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 07:55 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Destroyer, I have also have that happen in my truck. And that could possibly be what is wrong. When mine went though, it was very noticable that it wasn't pushing with the rear. And unless I had my eyes closed I couldn't help but see that.

T-man, I have also fried my titan motors before in my truck, and that made them not have enough power for anything. They fried when I ran 4 packs in my truck at a time. (2-up) in parrallel.
Motors or batteries, or maybe both is what I think your problem is.
Jam1sstang is offline   Reply With Quote