Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: How reliable are summits?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default How reliable are summits?

Hello im look at getting a summit and was wondering if anyone has had any major problems. I have seen some people have had problems with the servo for locking the rear dif. Any imput would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
nightfiref7efi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I had good luck with mine. Using a set of Lipo batteries helped it get decent speed. BUt in the end I sold it and bought a Savage Flux. I want to have insane speeds and the ability to jump.

But the Summit is a very good and reliable truck to get.
goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I've had mine since the week they hit the store shelves in my LHS and i love it. It goes with me to every comp as something to do between runs and its fun to try to get it up the 2.2 lines. Never broken anything from reliability although i have snapped a few parts wrecking it at high speed when attacking slashes
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I'm still questioning the reliability of my Summit. A dead rear-diff-locking servo and a couple other little problems sidelined my Summit for quite a while (mostly because I just wasn't finding time to work on it).
I'll soon be switching radios and hoping that with the ability to set servo endpoints I'll be at a lower risk of burning through servos.
I'm still having problems shifting into high gear. Supposedly there's a workaround, but I haven't tried it yet.

Though I still love the thing. I just had it out last week for the first time in a long time and had a blast with it.
Egnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:39 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egnix View Post
I'm still questioning the reliability of my Summit. A dead rear-diff-locking servo and a couple other little problems sidelined my Summit for quite a while (mostly because I just wasn't finding time to work on it).
I'll soon be switching radios and hoping that with the ability to set servo endpoints I'll be at a lower risk of burning through servos.
I'm still having problems shifting into high gear. Supposedly there's a workaround, but I haven't tried it yet.

Though I still love the thing. I just had it out last week for the first time in a long time and had a blast with it.
The issue with high gear is pretty simple, the servo moves the little spring to keep in in either gear, make sure its free and not binding on anything. You can run a servo directly to the shifter but make sure you have a good radio and really take your time setting endpoints.

The only reliability thing i finally found on mine was steering, its from use but i dont think it should be, the lower servo saver skid was worn out on the inside where the bottom of the servo save pivots, i get alot of use out of mine and things wear out but i just didnt think that would be something that wore out, no worries for a 4$ part though.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:17 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I've had mine since they first came out and I love it!

Only problem I had was the rear diff gear snapping but traxxas had the repair part to me in three days.

Be aware the summit is good at crawling and good at bashing but not great at either. It is a good truck for what it was intended. I know a few people who have put brushless systems in their summits and are constantly repairing them. IMO if you want a speed demon buy an e-revo. If you want to crawl only, buy an AX10.

I like the versatility of the Summit. I like being able to open the diffs for some speed and jump some and then instantly go into low and crawl over obstacles.

I guarantee if you buy a Summit your are going to LOVE IT!!!!
dkur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I have had mine for a while now no issues yet
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Default thanks

Thanks for all the imput, i still am not sure what im gunna get yet. I have been on here reading alot and watching videos and think im leaning a little more towards the axial 10.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfiref7efi View Post
Thanks for all the imput, i still am not sure what im gunna get yet. I have been on here reading alot and watching videos and think im leaning a little more towards the axial 10.

Can't go wrong with an AX10 as long as it is NOT the RTR version. It leaves a lot to be desired. Get the kit, ARTR or RTC version.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

yeah thats what im thinking. what is the difference between the artr and rtc? thanks
Old 09-19-2009, 07:08 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfiref7efi View Post
yeah thats what im thinking. what is the difference between the artr and rtc? thanks
The artr needs an ESC, receiver, servo and batteries.

The rtc just needs batteries.

From what I see those are the big differences. The artc has some upgrades but for starters, imo, it would be better to start with the rtc. I guarantee you will be upgrading anyway as you set up your crawler to fit your needs.
I don't know of anyone who has a box stock crawler around here. We all change setups and parts to fit our driving style and rock conditions.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

alright thanks alot
Old 10-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Default Summit

I have had mine for awhile now and NO problems yet. I use it mainly for crawling more than anything. The only thing I have broken is Driveshafts. They are $8.00 for 2 which isn't bad. The REVO's aftermarkets work for one side of the Summit but the other side is shorter do to the T-Locks. I haven't been able to find anyone that will make me a set of driveshafts for the short side. I have geared it down and put a set of crawling tires on it (G-8 Compound not M-2) Way Better. I would have to say you won't be disappointed at all. I put a set of LiPo's in it and get 45-50 mins run time in Low Range.
ThGdThBd&ThUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #14

Default Summit?

Did you ever get a Summit? What did you get? How do you like it?
firejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper View Post
I have had mine for a while now no issues yet
I've had my "Super Summit" for about a year now and I love it.
Nasty350LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:58 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

FROM EXPERIENCE do not buy the Axial RTR....the guys putting them together must be on crack or something, the workmanship sucks..ungreased difs ,stripped screws and hex heads, ESC falling apart and missing parts right out of the box. they should be called WBR or workbench ready not trail ready. I have a couple Summits and i love em and beat the hell outa them as much as i can with little or no trouble.
The steering servos need to be adjusted so they dont fight eachother and the shifting issue is easily taken care of with the help of a little how to on the Traxxas site
whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #17

i bought my summit used on ebay for 300.00 and i love it! for its size and weight it is pretty quick with 2 7 cell batteries. as for crawling it is not bad. in low range it has a snot load of torque. the only part i ever broke was a rt side front drive shaft because i got the wheel stuck under a big piece of wood and i tried to power out of it and snapped it. my bad. i love the truck it is a great bashing truck and an awesome trail truck.
raginglizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:30 AM   #18

My advise is, never pull full throttle after shifting the
gear or shifting the diff lockers.

Just give light throttle pull to let the gears and lockers
fit in the right position after changing!!!

Then hit the gas and it is highly reliable in my opinion
STINGER is offline   Reply With Quote