Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: maxx crawler questions....tons!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2004, 05:21 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default maxx crawler questions....tons!

lol sry to bother you guys with the stupid noob q's but i need some answers i couldnt find..... yes i used the search but the answers were not eactly what im lookin for.

im running a rock raider chassis.....

where is the best spot to mount your upper links on the axles?.....

is 4ws better than 2ws or is two good enough?....

how do you mount your shocks?? links or axles?.....

there are so many ways to mount servos.....which way gives the most steerability?.....

im using an e-maxx tranny so.....

should i sacrifice use of the 2 spd for 4ws or should i use both gears and 2ws?....i like the idea of being able to adjust the ratio of my crawler so base your answers on what you would do if this was really critical.

do i really need a lathe motor or will my 17t double be fine?...i have a gd-600 and plan to run narrowed kongs or "k rox" lol

thanks for any help and dont bash me guys cuz im new to this crawling stuff.
thegodofclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2004, 06:10 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: maxx crawler questions....tons!

Just drill a hole in the upper arms to mount the lower links. Mount the upper links about 1in above the diff.

I run 2ws on my maxx, it turns in a 3 foot raduis with LST's. It is enough for me, but depending on where you crawl, you might need 4ws.

I mounted my shocks on my lower links about 1/4in away from the axle end of the link.

Steerability? Thats limited to the pillow balls and knuckles. I mounted my servo laying flat on the upper arm. If you're tal;king about a standard sized servo, you have more options than i did.

I would go with 4ws over a 2 speed. When crawling with a 2 speed, you'll find that you won't use 2nd gear at all. Stick with one gear.

Definatly go with the lathe motor. You might not even have to use a GD600 with one. A 17T double is too hot for a crawler, especially when its only a 540.

Hope this helps
CustomCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 08:26 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomCrawler

Definatly go with the lathe motor. You might not even have to use a GD600 with one.
Hehe, I've got 2 lathe motors on my Maxx
Soya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 08:55 PM   #4
The Wheels Keep Turning

4ws is a big advantage and i would recomend it. the lathe motors do have tons and tons of torque and you may not need to run any reductions with them. i would try out the lathe motors. i had a set of trinity saphire motors, 17 turn. I sold them because they are useless for crawling.
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 11:53 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

ok well im gonna lock the tranny and run 4ws with this crawler. thanks for the help with that problem.

im gonna run a lathe motor if i can find one......

i know im going with k roxs for sure......

for my steering servo im using an airtronics digi 94259 servo because it has nice torque at 200 oz/in. WOO hoo.

the rear steer is a 95257 which only has 125 oz but rear isnt as critical as front in my opinion.

thanks again for the help guys
Old 10-13-2004, 07:59 AM   #6
The Wheels Keep Turning

your choice of servos is good. the front is typically harder to steer than the rear. i wouldn't go with the k-rocks. Nobody has been impressed with them. The zombies are a great tire. you should try them. and the IMEX JumboMaxx Swamp Dawgs are also good.
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 08:29 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

lol ....damn i already ordered them. oh well ill try em and tweak them till i get what i want. my 2.2 swamp dogs needed cutting so these might aswell.
the servos are sweet servos.....i love them. i have always like airtronics servos more than hitec and futaba because of the smooth reaction i could get out of them. i cant stand the kong tire....too big and lunky for me. even narrowed its still too gay.