Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: aluminum plate SAS???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2006, 05:56 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default aluminum plate SAS???

would building custom axles from something like 1/8 inch or 3/16 inch aluminum be good?

im looking to jsut drill and tap the ends so the pillow balls just thread in (with lots of threadlock)

so would 1/8 or 3/16 have enough material around the threads for them to not tear out?

also can someone post some measurments that i can use (dont have a maxx yet.)

mike5721947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2006, 06:30 PM   #2

1/8 definitely wouldn't have enough, and 3/16 would be cutting it seriously close.....I doubt that'd work either
bbaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:49 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Just use locknuts to attach the pillow balls

Heres my old rig that used aluminum sheet.
Maxx: Longer, Lower, Meaner
CustomCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:28 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I did the same as custom (I got the idea from him ), and I used 1/8 6061 plate.

-WRM
Attached Images

WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:03 PM   #5

Ok that makes a lot more sense....from his post I was under the impression that he just wanted to drill and tap directly into the end of the 1/8 or 3/16 plate, not bend it one more time and go through it.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:49 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaXJ
Ok that makes a lot more sense....from his post I was under the impression that he just wanted to drill and tap directly into the end of the 1/8 or 3/16 plate, not bend it one more time and go through it.
thats acually what i was wanting to do (to do a bit cleaner of an axle.)

the hardest part is getting harris safety silv-56 here (small town in canada.)

so what do you think is better, keeping the stock arms and locking them or doing aluminum plates? (is the extra work worth it?)
mike5721947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:02 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5721947
so what do you think is better, keeping the stock arms and locking them or doing aluminum plates? (is the extra work worth it?)
I'd just lock the stock arms, MUCH easier. If I was gonna go through all the trouble of a custom maxx again, I'd make one like TwistedCreation's latest buggy...

-WRM
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:33 AM   #8
Colt Python/SR9c

Aww Rich, I think a tear just came from my eye and fell onto the keyboard

If you wanting to drill the ends and just tap it, 1/8" and 3/16" will not work either. The pillow ball threads are 5mm. All the axles i have done ( besides Dougs truck) was 1/4". That still barely just leaves enough to thread around, but works. Also, I serioulsy doubt that saftey silv works on Alum. very good. Plus you would rather have some type of actual metal for the axles. They do get beat up nd the alum. is very soft. It would eventually just gouge and dig into rocks. If you trying to save weight on axles though, use brakeline. Take 1/4" brakeline and use the saftey silv ( doesn't have to be 56, 45 works just fine) and braze the end of the axle shut. Then you can drill the ends out and tap them. Makes drill and tapping easier.Then use 3/16 as your side braces
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
If you trying to save weight on axles though, use brakeline. Take 1/4" brakeline and use the saftey silv ( doesn't have to be 56, 45 works just fine) and braze the end of the axle shut. Then you can drill the ends out and tap them. Makes drill and tapping easier.Then use 3/16 as your side braces
I just brazed 5mm nuts onto the end of the brake line and it worked like a charm. I'll throw some locktite on the pivot ball threads and be good to go. If that doesn't work I can easily use another nut to lock together and keep it from backing off
Old 02-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #10
Colt Python/SR9c

yes that will work, but I personally like more thread to hold the pillow balls on. Plus the 5mm nut locks the pillow ball in place. but to each his own
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
yes that will work, but I personally like more thread to hold the pillow balls on. Plus the 5mm nut locks the pillow ball in place. but to each his own
Yeah I can see what you mean. This is the first RC crawler I'm building, so some of it will end up being trial and error. I've got quite a bit of experience with RCs, 1:1 wheelin and rigs, and engineering, so most of it is coming fairly easy to me.....just gotta find out what works and what doesn't by screwing up once in a while. I built the center portion of my cage the other day, but I built it too big. I've gotta cut that down some and re-braze it, then the rest should come together pretty quick. Spent about an hour on the lathe today and made the majority of my beadlocks, the tires should arrive in the next couple days, and I've got everything else I need. Just a matter of finding time to finish off the frame and links, then I can test out my axles and stuff.