Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New Maxx Owner & First Couple Mods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2006, 08:24 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default New Maxx Owner & First Couple Mods...

I picked up my new Maxx last night along with a few parts.

It was late when I got home last night so I didn't have time to do a lot. I charged both batteries right away and went out for a test drive. Man these things are quick out of the box. Ran the batts all the way down and went back inside to re-charge and install spur gear. About a half hour later I'm back outside. I was actually pretty suprised at how much difference just the spur made. It still isn't where it needs to be for crawling (obviously) but it definately makes a difference. I plan on doing the spool in the next couple of days. They only had one in stock at LHS so I'll have to wait 'til first of the week to get one for the front.

Initial thoughts- steering SUCKS, and this is coming from someone who started in the RC world with a Nylint. This (steering) will be one of the next things on the list of upgrades. Lots of power/torque and once it's locked front/rear I think it could do pretty good like it is, along with massive gear reduct. Awsome diff. ground clearnace also (obviously).

Don't know how far yet I'm gonna go with this. I've turned my Nylint into a pretty capable rig IMO and the only major advantage I could see with the Maxx would be ground clearance. Right now my thinking is to try and make it fairly capable without doing things that I can't unchange.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2006, 08:41 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

What pinion are you using? When I ran a 72 spur the biggest pinion I could get to mesh was a 17t. I would suggest getting some robinson 9t. That will help alot. The EMaxx is a good place to start. You can do a little at a time and still play. There are lots of helpful tips and stickies on building a Maxx crawler. If you got any questions or run into anything you want some help on pm me and I'll do what I can to help. If you are interested I have a kit that will lengthen the rear bulkhead assy. out about 1.5" to get a longer wheel base for sale.
mazdaparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

It's got the stock pinion in it now. That's something else I was going to change but I can't find a 9t anywhere, and yes I HAVE searched. LHS doesn't have anything smaller than a 15t, and and the few sites I've checked online don't have anything smaller than like a 13.

The WB is something else I was thinking about. I was just thinking "is there anyway to lengthen without 4-linking or going custom chasis?", lol. So yea, I'd be interested in that kit you have. Can you use it for the front and rear, or just one? Is this a kit that I could buy somewhere?? And lstly, do you have to account for the driveshafts when lengthen, how much slack is there??

Thanks, Jon
Old 01-31-2006, 01:32 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I had my LHS order the 9t for me. I made a lengthening kit myself. I used an extended rear skid plate for a .21 tmaxx. I made the top plate out of some 1/8" alum. and made a longer driveshaft from the axle shaft. I made my top plate extra strong by bolting in in 6 places. I had to router the chassis a bit to make it fit. Let me know if you are interested still.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:40 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

towerhobbies has the 9t heck they have about any tooth count you want
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:04 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Yea, I just ordered another spool and two 9t's from Tower. They don't have the pinions listed but they do carry them. should be here by Fri. Thanks...
Old 01-31-2006, 07:13 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

my e-maxx will be hear tomorow by ups why is the stearing crappy? stock servos are that weak?
Nylintjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:28 PM   #8

yes, stock maxx servos are horrible.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:48 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

The "heavy duty" servo only puts out about 80 oz of torque. Pick up a 150 oz or better and then you will see how bad it really sucks.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:50 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Yea, just because it's considered HG doesn't mean that there aren't parts that could use upgrading right out of the box. 80 oz. isn't sh!t, and after looking at the steering last night I'm thinking that the next thing after the servo would be to change up the whole steering linkage set-up. I can't see that short "lever arm" running from the servo to the tie rods holding up very well with a strong servo.

I'm probably gonna skip past the 130oz/150oz/etc. and head straight for something north of 200, or possibly just go all out and get that new HiTech with 333oz.

NylintJunkie- just to give you an idea, my Maxx won't turn whatsoever sitting still on the kitchen tile floor. Forget carpet/rocks/etc.....
Old 02-01-2006, 08:00 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Oh, and for an update, I put my spool in the rear last night. I don't know what the easiest way is to take apart the axles, but I basically took everything apart mainly just to get famliliar with the axles. I took my time and did it in about an hour.

Yes I know I have 9t's on the way and I'll have to take it back apart but I want to get used to tearing down the axles and get more familiar with them. And no I won't be driving it with just one spool in the rear, I have read the stickies and will heed there advice although I don't understand what the big deal is, 1:1's run with lockers/spools in rear only all of the time...

Last edited by RANOVRU; 02-01-2006 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:24 AM   #12
rbl
Rock Crawler

you mite has well go ahead an order you some cvds, soon has i locked my axles i blew my stock ones into pieces(also go ahead and order cuz mine have been on order for about 3 weeks now)

brad
rbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:00 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbl
you mite has well go ahead an order you some cvds, soon has i locked my axles i blew my stock ones into pieces(also go ahead and order cuz mine have been on order for about 3 weeks now)

brad

You've been on RCC long enough to know that CVD's are NOT the hot ticket. Why spend $100 on CVD's when you can have axles that are as strong(or stronger)? Revo axle & knuckle conversion is the best bang for the buck. You can get the whole Revo swap off of eBay for under $40 if you search.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I second the need for stronger axles and I also second that the revo swap is the way to go I have done it on me truck and my dads truck and they are so beefy I cant see breaking them anytime soon.
donkeykong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:48 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the tips fella's.

Ok, I'm now confused so I hope someone can help. These Robinson pinion gears I ordered, where do they go?? I was assuming by "pinion" that meant diff gears, like "ring & pinion". But I just got off the phone with my LHS asking if they had the little metal gears that go on the motors (I lost one last night- have no idea how it came off), and I asked the guy what those gears are called and he said "pinion gears", lol.

So WTF?? He said they sell those (motor gears) in different sizes too, in order to gear down/up your truck. So what's what???

I'm not an idiot I know what R&P's are and am familiar with RC parts that relate to 1:1's, but I'm new to terms like "spur gear", and other gears names... (I obviously know what a spur gear is now from the first post)

HELP?
Old 02-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

There are no replacement ring and pinion setups, like in the 1:1 world for altering your gear ratios. For gearing down it's basicly changing your pinion(motor pinion gear) and spur gears.

Find the biggest spur and smallest pinion gear you can find to gear down the most. Although could just add a GD-600 unit and alter your gearing that way too. Essentially like adding a second t-case as in the 1:1 world.

If you search/ read the sticky at the top of the Maxx section you'll find a bit of helpfull information for upgrading your Maxx
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:52 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the help. I've searched and read the stickies, and I quote-

Be sure to also gear down your truck. go with a bigger spur gear(72 tooth) and a smaller pinion( 9 tooth )- make sure both are 32 pitch gears

...now someone like me who's new to the HG RC world is supposed to assume what....that a pinion is the term used to describe the gear on the motor??? How's that?? When I did my research on these things and found out about the detailed parts they use, aka they have R&P's, I assumed that a "pinion" change was reffering to the diff.

You can't see how that could be confusing to a noob?? Don't mean to come off like an *** but the sticky for the Maxx section could use a little more detail IMO...

Thanks again for the help ;)
Old 02-01-2006, 02:15 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Well those of us who have been doing this for a while often forget that the little terms we use can be confusing to those who haven't. That is why these forums exist, for noobs to ask questions and the more seasoned answer them (usually after a smartass comment). I know I should search before I ask this (so flame away) but is there a glossary of terms commonly used in the RCC world somewhere?
Old 02-01-2006, 04:56 PM   #19

Default This is a FREE one!

Something else you might just try for the time being. Give the front tires on the truck a little more camber. This should help a little in the steering department. This is roughly what I am trying to say. Looking from the front. //---\\ This is very exaggerated, but the // and \\ represent the tires and --- was what I was trying to resemble the "axle". Hope someone understands this.
Merrixs
Merrixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:19 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I have found the maxx sticky very helpful, it has keeped my question asking down. but I have a stock e-maxx that I got for christmas, I have since put beadlocks on it, changed spurs pinion and also tires. and most importantly i changed the servo for steering i put a hitec 645 in it. works great mine will know turn tires and carpet not thick kind just short. Also to help with cralwing take one shock off each axel and that will help, you will ahve to put different weight oil though, so that the truck does not drag ground. I have not figuredout which oil to use yet I am still trying. I have a thread on here about it so check that sometimes I will post in here what I decide to go with and if it helps I will let you know. Good Luck with this thing. Twisted I just want to thank you for the sticky man that really did help me thanks again
John Deere is offline   Reply With Quote