Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: How to use one battery with your EVX……..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2004, 06:15 PM   #1
The Wheels Keep Turning

Default How to use one battery with your EVX……..

DirkDigler, RcRacer, and myself successfully tried this out. There have been no problems reported as of yet.

To achieve 14.4 volts, the EVX internally connects the two batteries in series. By shorting the one connector, the input circuitry receives the voltage of one battery instead of the sum of both batteries. Rather simple. The best way to achieve this is to take a battery connector and just solder the wires together and then plug it into the battery connector on the side that says “Serviced by Traxxas.” Make sure you insulate the solder joint.

You can also determine which side to plug the battery into by doing just that. With the power switch on, plug one battery only into one of the connectors, the connector that makes the light on the EVX go on is the one that the battery should be connected to. The other connector is the one that gets shorted out.

kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2004, 06:47 PM   #2
Colt Python/SR9c

Default Re: How to use one battery with your EVX……..

cmon now you double pad poster

ohh, im doing it too now
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 08:21 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: How to use one battery with your EVX…&#823

Does this really work? I would think you would cause internal mayhem by performing this.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:14 AM   #4
Colt Python/SR9c

yes it works...i have emailed traxxas and asked them and they said it was fine as long as you connect the right side together( bridge side and not power side) also,Pete emailed Novak and they said that it wouldn't be warrantied, but it will work fine.. thats one of the reasons for the old battery connector. that way you just don't cut of the end of the EVX and it still looks stock

some people don't like it though as they are used to both batteries and motors running and they feel they lost all kinds of power, owell, i know i get longer crawl times out of mine now. i usually got about 20-25 min runtimes with both batteries together still. now i get about 40-45 mins( sometimes longer) with both batteries being used back to back
Old 04-06-2004, 06:00 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Cool, its worth trying I guess. Now if I can only get my truck back together. Have you noticed that you always end up with more parts and screws left over after you reassemble your truck then what you had before you dissasembled it.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:48 AM   #6
Colt Python/SR9c

i have been lucky with my maxx, i seem to always put it back together right and nothing left over..now with my trail truck, thats a whole different story
Old 04-07-2004, 12:48 PM   #7
The Wheels Keep Turning

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
Cool, its worth trying I guess. Now if I can only get my truck back together. Have you noticed that you always end up with more parts and screws left over after you reassemble your truck then what you had before you dissasembled it.
yeh, even the best of us have left over parts sometimes!!!! it's just a part of working on things.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:27 PM   #8

so .... you run 2 motors on 1 battery?
if so what benefit is there?
Old 04-07-2004, 07:26 PM   #9
Colt Python/SR9c

no, you run 1 motor and 1 battery...you short out the other side. that way you can do away with the weight of the 2nd battery..
Old 04-07-2004, 09:35 PM   #10

I tried this mod on my e-maxx and it works awsome, besides the weight loss of the other battery the motor runs much cooler. Also I experience little to no torque loss and way longer run times thanks for the tips guys.
pont_tranzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 07:31 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

I agree, I love this mod!
Old 08-27-2004, 04:05 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I'm thinking about doing this and just curious if you guys have any updates good and bad on this mod. Also, can you just leave the wire motors from the EVX laying there or do you have to do something with those too?

Thanks
crawlmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 06:06 PM   #13
Colt Python/SR9c

just disconnect them and wire tie/zip tie them up. i strongly suggest though that people that do this mod change motors and not run the Titans. they will only run at half speed with one battery
Old 08-27-2004, 06:13 PM   #14
The Wheels Keep Turning

i've been running a couple trucks with this setup for a while now with no problems. been running a txt, and a mach1 (comp level clod). the only problem is the low servo output (1.5 amps compared to 3 amps on the super rooster) sometimes i draw too much and the evx kind of shuts down. but no permanent damage.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:06 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

In my case the motors that are on my maxx are suppossedly 20 turns, I bought it used.
crawlmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 05:52 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

hey thanks to everyone for this post, i did it to my new emaxx and it works great. i added a GD600 , some maximizers with mgt tires and i rock crawled for the first time and i luv it.
NICKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 12:44 PM   #17

Sweet..

I am thinking about buying an EMaxx off ebay and then getting the Rock Gear crawler kit so this thread wil be helpful.

And kevin, I see you live in goold ol' Phoenix Arizona like myself There's so much desert around here, crawling spots anyway you look!

What motor do you run in your maxx? Also what batteries are running and whats the cell count?
Thanks!
-John
NitroBoy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 12:27 AM   #18
The Wheels Keep Turning

hey nitroboy24. glad to see another phoenix arizona member. check out:

http://az-rcfreaks.com/modules.php?n...forum&f=20

i don't run maxxs' anymore, all clods. before i was running regular 1500mAh packs because they are cheap. 6 cell packs. i've run one titan, they have tons of torque but no speed at all. The magnetic mayhems are good. i hope to see you out there sometime. I'm going to moab this weekend for the competition, but will do some crawling in the weekends to come, hopefully you can come out and check out the crawling. watch the az-rcfreaks site to see when we are going crawling.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:42 PM   #19

Ok cool! I saw a link to the AZ site yesterday but forgot to go to it, so thanks for the link!

Also, around where are you guys located? I live over by where 67th Ave. passes over the loop 101 and from what I can see you guys are in the streets side of az. Pretty far away :?

I will try and get some pics of the moutains over by my house if anyone on "my" side of town or somewhere near it wants to go try out a new crawling spot.

I'll check the boards frequently to see when people are going to be crawling and whenever you go out give me a pm and I'll see if it'd be possible to get a ride and go check it out!
NitroBoy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 09:24 PM   #20
The Wheels Keep Turning

i actually live in mesa. so your way up north there. if you don't have a ride and find some spots up there i will come up there and crawl. south mountain park is a sick place to crawl. papago park is also a good spot, not as challenging, but still fun. so let me know if you find some spots, and i'll come crawl up there.