Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My Maxx basher/crawler build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My Maxx basher/crawler build

Ok Ill start off by saying Hi!

I might be new to the whole crawler idea but Im far from new with R/Cs...

Okay, I have a 6x6 E-Maxx that I built from the ground up. Ill get some pictures up if anyone is interested...? Im getting a little bored with it, and would like to build up a crazy crawler/basher... My issue is just getting it off the ground,. I can figure it out and have the skills to do it, but I am stuck.

I want something similar to this...

My problems are...

• How long do I make the links? I just cant seem to figure out how big to make the chassis so I was working from the out side in....
• What is a good wheel base? 18""-20"???
• I want a 3906 body to about to the half way point on the axle, and a Pede body to clear them...

Its not going to be a comp crawler or anything along those lines. Just a crazy Maxx. I would even like to keep the 2 speed in it, just for fun. I guess Ill go into what I have at my disposal....

• 3905 E-Maxx and everything associated with it.
• 2 speed kit
• 2 spools
• Hitec 7995tg servo
• Titan 775
• a bunch of misc parts
• a Stampede sized body and a brand new 3906 body
• 7" Hot Bodies tires
• aluminum and angle aluminum
• a ton of time
• plenty of skill
• not a bunch of money to spend!!!
crazy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Ok you'll definately wanna dump the titan 775 motor for crawling and get some lathe motors like 55t motors 2 of them. The common wheelbase for a maxx crawler is 17.5 inches or 17 inches.
THE CRAWLER KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Think I got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE CRAWLER KING View Post
Ok you'll definately wanna dump the titan 775 motor for crawling and get some lathe motors like 55t motors 2 of them. The common wheelbase for a maxx crawler is 17.5 inches or 17 inches.
I know the 775 is big and heavy but, what all is wrong it? I am looking at the possibility of running a E Revo trans to bring the CoG down. Im not saying that Im going to be running stock gearing or anything, but it isnt going to be an all on crawler (YET!).

• If I were to run the Revo set up, would I want the motor to the front or the rear?

• I got somewhere! I have a chassis made up, well at least for mock up reasons, it is made out of some plexiglass. I have a ton of plexi laying around... Once I get it hammered out, then aluminum it is...

• I got my link numbers figured out also. Now I just have to go get the material to make them.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
Powered by Awesome

im rocking a summit 2 speed with a 775.. its heavy as hell! but you get that back in power AND you can juice up to 18volt threw it and it wont smoke! you want the weight forward ...
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedXT View Post
im rocking a summit 2 speed with a 775.. its heavy as hell! but you get that back in power AND you can juice up to 18volt threw it and it wont smoke! you want the weight forward ...
That was exactly what I was thinking... And since its not going to be a full blown crawler, yet, the extra weight doesnt matter... I kinda figured on mounting it forward but figured I would ask.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Okay well, this is now a build thread....

Any thoughts or ideas I would like to hear them!!!!

After days of trying to get sizes hammered out, I finally got them, and for the most point am sticking to them... I like to get most everything out on paper first. They arent any CAD drawings, but its better then nothing. I even have the angles for the links drawn out already...

• Trans mount. Before final tweaking.

• Well I have a chassis also, well kind of... It is a mock up and its a good thing. The trans mount holes are crooked, its okay, its only plexi. The aluminum one wont be crooked.

• Custom bent skid.

I have a few details to take care of, such as holes in the bottom skid, so I can get to the screw for the drive shafts.... But it is a start. Oh and I also put the "wide" gearing in the trans.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:17 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

im interested in your 6x6 maxx, sounds like it would be wicked to see....ill also be keeping up with this thread to see your maxx crawler, as i have all the same parts as you do...except the chassis, and the links...id like to turn mine into one also....
Burned Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned Up View Post
im interested in your 6x6 maxx, sounds like it would be wicked to see....ill also be keeping up with this thread to see your maxx crawler, as i have all the same parts as you do...except the chassis, and the links...id like to turn mine into one also....
The 6x6 was one heck of a truck! It was pretty much unstoppable, the only thing holding it back was suspension.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ject-long-term

The crawler is coming along nicely. I hope later today Ill have everything done except for the real chassis... Ill more then likely have more pictures later today also...

Old 05-24-2011, 11:41 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Well for the most point the axles are done... I have to do up the steering linkages, and if there is enough material left over the rear tie rods.

Im thinking about putting a support in the front bulk. Since the old one was cut out.

Tomorrow is link day!!!

Old 05-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
Nobody

looks good. nice and clean. Great idea on the lower link mounts.
Cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Hey thanks Cordwood! Im trying...

Well I ran out of 3mm nuts today, so not a whole lot got done... Hopefully tomorrow I can get the "real" chassis cut out, and at least start on the steering.

• Well I got the links done today.

• So since those are done, I put them on the mock up chassis.

• Then I figured, what the heck....

• Everyone needs a 90° picture

Old 05-26-2011, 07:32 AM   #12
Nobody

What is your shock plan?
Old 05-26-2011, 11:21 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordwood View Post
What is your shock plan?
Im not too sure yet.... If someone has some ideas I am more then open to them...

First I have to get the nuts. I was almost thinking about mounting them to the links, all the way out, then putting a slight lean on them.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Well I hit a speed bump....

I was figuring out a new trans mount, since I dont care for that one. I am out of aluminum, I have enough for the chassis, but that is it....
Old 05-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Well the new trans mount has to wait....

I got the chassis cut out yesterday, and started on the steering. I did have a slight mishap with the steering rod, so I have to go get another piece to replace it. But otherwise its moving right along...

Okay, I need a little advice on this one... I know everyone and their mother is running 55t lathe motors. What should I run motor wise? Its not going to be a full out crawler, but its not going to be a speed demon either. As bad as this sounds I want it to be like a Summit, as in it will move out of its own way if needed. The 775 burned up so I am open. I do have some brushed 540 motors out in Colorado, I cant recall what they are, but they are brand new and for a Clod.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #16
Nobody

I'm not an expert, but I think you'll need a summit trans if you want to bash and crawl. 45-55 turn motors are gonna be super slow, and anything less might lack the torque to turn 7" tires. Maybe others with more experience will chime in.

On the shocks, you might try to mount them on the lower link axle mounts instead of on the links.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I'm not an expert, but I think you'll need a summit trans if you want to bash and crawl. 45-55 turn motors are gonna be super slow, and anything less might lack the torque to turn 7" tires. Maybe others with more experience will chime in.

On the shocks, you might try to mount them on the lower link axle mounts instead of on the links.
Well I pretty much have a Summit trans and then some. The E-Maxx E-Revo and Summit use the same trans, with the exception of the 2 speed and the motor mount. I have all of that covered. I have a 2 speed in it, and E-Maxx and both E-Revo motor mounts. I have a brushless motor mount and the twin motor mount for the Revo.

Illl look in to that when I start putting it back together....
Old 05-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #18
Nobody

I have an EMaxx 2 speed and the first gear isn't much lower than second. Is yours different?
Old 05-28-2011, 12:30 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I have an EMaxx 2 speed and the first gear isn't much lower than second. Is yours different?
Well depends on which E-Maxx trans you have. The old one (3906) was pretty close to the same. The newer one(s) (3905,3903,3908, & E-Revo) didnt come with a two speed in it, so it was an option, it came with two sets of gears, a wide and a close ratio. When it was a 6x6 I was running the close, but I switched it to the wide for the crawl ratio.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

What about a 14t holmes puller motor? My 10 turn does ok but is a little stressed out.
White Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote