Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Problem with motivation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Problem with motivation

To start off with, I have an E-Maxx based crawler(first build) with factory transmission and running gear (locked in low) with factory EVX. I have recently puchased the lower 72T Spur gear but am running the factory 16T pinion gear on a 75T Integy lathe motor. I am also using a TQ3 controller. I just got my motor put on to try out and it will not pull an incline near as steep as my upgraded Nylint crawler. The motor acts like it doesnt have the power to turn the tires( LST's). This is my first attempt at building a rccrawler from the ground up so please tell me what I need to do to get this thing climbing. I have talked to others on here about using a 75T and they say it should have all the power I need. Please Help! Thanks RGF

Last edited by rgf27; 07-09-2006 at 03:45 PM.
rgf27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2006, 03:40 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgf27
To start off with, I have an E-Maxx based crawler(first build) wtih factory transmission and running gear (locked in low) with factory EVX. I have recently puchased the lower 72T Spur gear but am running the factory 16T pinion gear on a 75T Integy lathe motor. I am also using a TQ3 controller. I just got my motor put on to try out and it will not pull an incline near as steep as my upgraded Nylint crawler. The motor acts like it doesnt have the power to turn the tires( LST's). This is my first attempt at building a rccrawler from the ground up so please tell me what I need to do to get this thing climbing. I have talked to others on here about using a 75T and they say it should have all the power I need. Please Help! Thanks RGF
ou probably need to program the evx correctly and have the +- wires reversed, you are running the speed control in reverse for forward Id bet
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:44 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Would u mind explaining to me how to do this.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:31 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgf27
Would u mind explaining to me how to do this.
unsolder the wires leading from the motor to thw speed control and resolder reverse from current location
Old 07-10-2006, 06:02 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I dont think the 75T motor can generate enough wheel speed. I run 55T motots in all 3 of my rigs. I have a 65T that I got from Tower and it is too slow. Just my 2 cents. Did re-wiring the motors help?
mr.maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:05 AM   #6
RCC Addict

75 turn should be plenty, but i found when i was running a single motoer in my emaxx it wasnt enough, the emaxx is a heavy truck, you really should have (2) 75 turn motors, that way they wont overheat.
BrandonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:10 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.maxx
I dont think the 75T motor can generate enough wheel speed. I run 55T motots in all 3 of my rigs. I have a 65T that I got from Tower and it is too slow. Just my 2 cents. Did re-wiring the motors help?
change the gearing a tad to compensate LOL
Old 07-11-2006, 08:16 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

first check your ESC dont just unsolder and change the wires. if its correct the truck should be able to climb in forward and reverse. next step is to get the smallest pinion on there you can.
peej410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:48 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the help. I went to traxxas.com and got the reprogramming procedure for the ESC. That worked a little better. I also went and picked up a 9T Pinion for 75T motor. Results were much better, but I would still like more power. The crawl speed is awesome for the type of wheeling I like, if anything maybe even slower would be better. I dont see how you guys can crawl slow enough with the 55T, but maybe yall have done something different that I haven't. If there's any other helpful info that you can give me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks RGF
Old 07-17-2006, 11:46 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

how many cells are you running in your battery pack? If you can had a cell that may help with some wheelspeed!
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I was running a 12v 4.3ah nylint battery, but I am redesigning another chassis to run two 6 cell batteries in parallel. The batteries that I have are not matching batteries though. One is a 1500 Shark and the other is a Radio Shack 2000mah. If you can tell me of a cheap good battery to replace these with I would appreciate it. Thanks RGF
Old 07-17-2006, 06:57 PM   #12
I'm a stupid C U N T!

radio shack it the king of cheap 6 cell stick packs they have 3000 and 3300 last i checked and if your lucky you could find some 2000 on clearence. as a side note you should get 2 new batterys to get a better lifespan out of them
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:00 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

If your really wanting gobs of torque and little wheelspeed, just use a gd6oo witha 55t lathe. I've seen this setup, and if your into low wheelspeed, this will do the trick.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSL79&P=ML
silvr_tung_devl is offline   Reply With Quote