Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Proline SR5 Cab on TRX4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2020, 06:22 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Proline SR5 Cab on TRX4

The missus wanted a Toyota body for her TRX4 Sport and I was looking for a cage that would work w/ Proline's SR5 cab. Thanks to HumboldtEF for putting me on to the Vaterra Ascender cage https://www.amazon.com/VATERRA-Roll-.../dp/B01MCZA7JK which is 1/2 the price of the one from Proline and has aluminum panels to boot.

We deleted the stock Traxxas bumper and installed the chassis front cross member upside down so it wouldn't droop below the bumper on the body and support it from behind.

The Ascender cage fits like it was made for it.

I couldn't come up w/ a bracket to secure the rear so for now going with zip ties which at least allow for the body to be lifted at the front and rotated backwards for battery maintenance.

Any ideas for a bracket that might work??

JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2020, 07:00 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Proline SR5 Cab on TRX4

That came out sharp!

I just happen to have recently designed a bracket to mount an Ascender cage on my Enduro, same idea should apply to the TRX4 though.

You could also come up with a spot to mount some small P clips if you want the cage to pivot Just like your zip tie job. I will say the body I did this to is a bit annoying to work on because of this though.

I'd also recommend ditching the rear bumper and the bumper mount if you can replace it with a simple crossmember.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-13-2020 at 07:05 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:45 PM   #3
Go Buckeyes!

Looks great Jim!

The SR5 has always been one of my favorite bodies! The cage fits the body and chassis nicely!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:49 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

HumboldtEF, thanks for the p-clip suggestion, that would work well if only I had a flat cross member like yours to mount it on. Any chance you'd be willing to make one for the TRX4?? Within reason I'd be happy to send $$ your way! I searched the web and all the after-market cross members I found have contours that won't work in my application.

I hear what you're saying re the rear bumper, but I think its ass might look a little bare without it? I was able to push the rear bumper all the way forward so departure angle did improve.

Last edited by JimInMiami; 06-14-2020 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-14-2020, 10:50 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Looks great Jim!

The SR5 has always been one of my favorite bodies! The cage fits the body and chassis nicely!
Thanks, the Missus is happy, so a good result overall
Old 06-14-2020, 12:16 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I sent you a PM
Old 06-24-2020, 06:12 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I sent you a PM
Casey the part you designed arrived from Jawstech and the results were great:

Here's how the lower horizontal bar of the cage sits in the new cross member before installing the top clamping part.

Here's a side view with the cab & cage in down position (I still hadn't drilled the holes for mounting screws at that point).

Here's the top view with the cab & cage open and folded back. This is the functionality I wanted that allows for battery changes and minor maintenance without having to entirely remove the body.

The only modification for the next time is remove a small "ledge" (for lack of a better term) on the top part that initially kept it from mating correctly to the bottom part. All it took to get a perfect fit was a few passes with the Dremel sanding drum and touch up with a sanding bar.

Sorry for blurry pic.

Overall, couldn't be happier, thanks again for the design!! You might consider posting it on Thingiverse so others can benefit.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:37 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Nice! I'm glad you were able to get that to work despite the flaw. It looks like the body can flip all the way back too.

I see now where I messed up with that little ledge, sorry I missed that.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:51 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Nice! I'm glad you were able to get that to work despite the flaw. It looks like the body can flip all the way back too.

I see now where I messed up with that little ledge, sorry I missed that.
No problem at all, it took maybe 5 mins to get it to fit perfect. Yeah the body can now flip a full 180°. Thanks also for sending me to Jawstec, the prices were reasonable and the quality of the MJF Glass-Filled Nylon is impressive.

Last edited by JimInMiami; 06-24-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Proline SR5 Cab on TRX4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proline’s 1979 F150 cab and TRX4’s Bronco grill/headlamps? ksonghasun Paint and Body 1 02-11-2020 02:00 PM