Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Crawler novice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2022, 12:08 AM   #1

Default Crawler novice

Hey guys this we'll be my 3rd attempt at getting into crawling life happens.
Looking at a TRX4 kit but need some advice on electrics to purchase I don't want to be purchase after purchase to get it right been there done that with a HPI Baja which I sold due to a spinal injury which made it near impossible to use but miss the hobby way to much not to have at least 1 RC in the shed.
kiwi68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2022, 06:29 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Crawler novice

Depends on your budget. This list isn't ttrx specific but applies the same as any other kit.

Lower budget: hobbywing 1080 brushed ESC, Holmes trail or crawl master brushed motor.

Mid level budget: hobbywing or spektrum 2 n 1 brushless ESC Motor combo. I prefer these to more expensive brushless. Smooth, plenty of wheel speed etc.

High budget: sky is the limit. Castle Mamba, Hobbywing axe etc.

Servos:

Amazon 35kg Servos on a low budget

Savox servo on a mid budget

Nsdrc Servos if you can do 100-120 for a servo.

I have Amazon 35kg and 45 kg Servos, no complaints. Also have 1 NSDRC RS800 servo and damn it's nice!

For TX/RX can't go wrong with flysky gt5 5 channel. Had I known of it prior to buying my spektrum dx5 rugged, I would have saved the money and got the Flysky but certain features on my dx5 are nice to have and get used.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 06:37 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
Depends on your budget. This list isn't ttrx specific but applies the same as any other kit.

Lower budget: hobbywing 1080 brushed ESC, Holmes trail or crawl master brushed motor.

Mid level budget: hobbywing or spektrum 2 n 1 brushless ESC Motor combo. I prefer these to more expensive brushless. Smooth, plenty of wheel speed etc.

High budget: sky is the limit. Castle Mamba, Hobbywing axe etc.

Servos:

Amazon 35kg Servos on a low budget

Savox servo on a mid budget

Nsdrc Servos if you can do 100-120 for a servo.

I have Amazon 35kg and 45 kg Servos, no complaints. Also have 1 NSDRC RS800 servo and damn it's nice!

For TX/RX can't go wrong with flysky gt5 5 channel. Had I known of it prior to buying my spektrum dx5 rugged, I would have saved the money and got the Flysky but certain features on my dx5 are nice to have and get used.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I will second this!

IMO the ds3235 servos are great for the money, if you want a better servo, you might as well spend around $120 and get a quality direct power servo (Holmes, reefs? Nsdrc, etc)

Very hard to beat a Hobbywing 1080 esc, and a Holmes Crawlmaster/trailmaster sport. If you want a nicer setup though, Hobbywing fusion, or spektrum 2-in-1, or castle micro x v2 and slate motor, or if money is no object, castle mamba x and a Holmes puller pro.

I’ve had good luck with the Flysky Gt5 radio, haven’t used any others besides rtr radios though.
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 12:49 PM   #4

Cheers guys
kiwi68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 02:29 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post

Very hard to beat a Hobbywing 1080 esc, and a Holmes Crawlmaster/trailmaster sport. If you want a nicer setup though, Hobbywing fusion, or spektrum 2-in-1, or castle micro x v2 and slate motor, or if money is no object, castle mamba x and a Holmes puller pro.
I would also throw in one of my favorites, the reedy radon as another cheaper brushed motor.
Goos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 04:38 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

If you are just doing slow crawling and not worried about speed, I highly recommend the Hobbywing Fusion 1800kv. I have one in my TRX4 Sport and it is great. Awesome low speed creep and plenty of speed for me(about 5mph or so) as I strictly crawl with that truck.

As far as servos, I don’t have much experience with expensive ones but the cheap red case 25kg/or blue case 35kg servos are really good for the price. I beat the snot out of one to see if it would hold up and i still use it to this day.

As far as everything else, I think the guys above have it covered
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 01:37 PM   #7

Hobbywing used to be cheap junk. Now its cheap and trusted. Its great to see

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
chevyjlewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Crawler novice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novice crawling set up question Fishcharger Axial RR10 Bomber 5 07-30-2017 12:56 PM
Losi Comp Crawler takes Novice Title! NFG Team Losi Comp Crawler 5 08-24-2012 08:41 AM
My 1st Crawler, 1st Comp, 2nd place novice class pinckbrown Axial XR10 23 03-01-2011 08:46 AM
Novice or pro 666 Colorado 50 06-12-2008 05:37 PM
Novice class? Scattman Florida 9 05-26-2008 04:19 PM