Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: has anyone ever done this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2007, 04:02 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default has anyone ever done this?

i was thinking about an e-maxx tranny set up where the tranny is mounted sideways ( with the motor turned parallel to the axles) and using a e-maxx diff as a transfer case. this way the motor torque is pushing down on the front. anyone ever done that? if not, does it sound like a good idea?
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2007, 04:14 AM   #2
RCC Addict

hey there

I am not sure if anyone has doen it but the torques twist is generated allong the drive shafts that connect the diffs to the transfercase, tranny.

The way to eliminate torque twist on an maxx setup is to have the driveshafts (propeller Shaft) enter the diff from the top or to put a reverse in line with one of the driveshafts and turning that diff, so that it spins opposite of the other diff.
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

it was tried once before about 1 1/2 yrs ago or so. The point was for gear reduction if I remember right and the project was abandoned. Eitehr way it wont kill the twist. Best way to eliminate torque twist is with a properly laid out suspension.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

im not trying to get rid of torque twist. i don't have any. i have a good suspention setup.

i know that torque twist comes from your driveshafts turning and no matter how you mount your tranny, without proper suspention settings it will twist.

what i was thinking about is mounting the tranny sideways so the motor torque pushes down on the front for better front traction on steep terrain.

and was wondering if the torque generated by the motor turning is great enough to push down on the front and provide better front traction.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
RCC Addict

nope.
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:18 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielk View Post
nope.
hmm well thought it might work. theres another dream of mine shot to ****. . these are the things i cook up when im home alone and the power goes out. oh well
Old 07-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

actually in a recent article in radio control car action they are talking about the same thing. the "King of Crushers" article with the txt....the guy mounted his motors transverse to accomplish what you are talking about....Straight from the article: I mounted mine perpindicular to the truck's centerline instead of parallel so that the motors' torque loads the suspension from front to rear instead of side to side. To compensate for rear suspension sag under acceleration, I positioned the transmission so that the motors' torque actually pushes the front suspension down to give the tires more traction....

Grapegoat, i wouldnt be so quick to dismiss this idea...you might be on to something...
elbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:17 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbo View Post
actually in a recent article in radio control car action they are talking about the same thing. the "King of Crushers" article with the txt....the guy mounted his motors transverse to accomplish what you are talking about....Straight from the article: I mounted mine perpindicular to the truck's centerline instead of parallel so that the motors' torque loads the suspension from front to rear instead of side to side. To compensate for rear suspension sag under acceleration, I positioned the transmission so that the motors' torque actually pushes the front suspension down to give the tires more traction....

Grapegoat, i wouldnt be so quick to dismiss this idea...you might be on to something...
ha HA! see i knew i was smart! I was wondering why that wouldn't work. seemed like a really good idea and was sure that someone did it before.

Im gonna do it. thanks man. Now i just need a e-maxx diff. im probly gonna get a aluminum one from i think Integy and put a spool in it. that would be the strongest way to go. im gonna mount it like it is mounted in the axle using custom side plates with the dye holes drilled in and re-enforce it with plenty of crossmembers made from nuts and bolts.

should be pretty sweet. it might not push down on the front a whole bunch but it will make a difference. Atleast its a project and something you don't see everyday
Old 07-24-2007, 07:36 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

that is gonna be fun to build. not only will it put added torque weight on the front but using a e-maxx diff as a transfer case and using a 72t spur and 9t pinion, i will be rockin 180:1 crawl ratio. no more need for a gd-600
Old 07-24-2007, 11:34 AM   #10

How bizzare, I had the same kind of idea a few years back when I had problems with my TXT twisting over to one side from BL power (racer), but I didnt know the torque came from the shafts, rather than the motors/tranny. Never got anywhere with it, just stiffened up the suspension & lowered it. I look forward to build pics!
suicideneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:55 AM   #11
RCC Addict

i have thought a little bit about this. there is one way it would work effectively...the diff couldn't be integrated with the chassis. if it were, the torque of the motor wouldnt be translated to the chassis. so the diff needs to be relative to the axles somehow and there lies your problem.
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielk View Post
i have thought a little bit about this. there is one way it would work effectively...the diff couldn't be integrated with the chassis. if it were, the torque of the motor wouldnt be translated to the chassis. so the diff needs to be relative to the axles somehow and there lies your problem.
i don't follow you. if the transfer case was mounted in the chassis along with the perpendicular motor how would that not work? if you hit the gas the motor would turn, therefore it would push down on the front. if the motor torque wouldn't translate to the chassis then where would it go?
Old 07-24-2007, 02:31 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideneil View Post
How bizzare, I had the same kind of idea a few years back when I had problems with my TXT twisting over to one side from BL power (racer), but I didnt know the torque came from the shafts, rather than the motors/tranny. Never got anywhere with it, just stiffened up the suspension & lowered it. I look forward to build pics!
yeah the twist comes from the connection of the tranny to the axle (driveshafts) doesn't matter if you mount the tranny sideways. the turning force of the shafts still try to twist the chassis
Old 07-24-2007, 10:59 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapegoat View Post
yeah the twist comes from the connection of the tranny to the axle (driveshafts) doesn't matter if you mount the tranny sideways. the turning force of the shafts still try to twist the chassis
And the twist that you're thinking of will still be transferred to the axles because they are independant of the tranny. However, if the new diff case you want to add is hardmounted to the tranny, then the twisting force will be there, but it will be translated as a stress on the hardmounts, not as a preload on the front suspension. It's kind of hard to explain, I can see it in my head, but I don't know how to convey it with words. I agree the other poster that the twist will largely manifest as nothing more than a stress on the new diff mount and without having the entire suspension and new diff linked and independantly sprung from the chassis and tranny, I don't think that this idea will do anything noticeable.

If you're dead set on testing this though, first build the truck without the new diff, just the traditional tranny and find something that you can't quite crawl up. Then to the mod and add the new diff, but keep the suspension geometry and static weight balance the exact same, then go see if you can make it up the thing you couldn't before. That will tell you if doing this was beneficial at all.
S1NN3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:04 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

oh. i think i see what you guys are saying now. yeah your right. it wouldn't really work as planned. and if after stressing the mounts any of the left over torque that would go to the front of the chassis, wouldn't be anything noticable. its not worth the work. damn! i thought i came up with a killer idea that would take my maxx to new capabilities. if there was just a way to transfer that torque to the front. i almost still want to try it, but im lazy. i only want to do it if i know it would be a good improvement. what about that guy in rc car action mag. with his txt. he did it. sounded like it worked for him. hell, im just gonna have to do it and find out.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:11 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

no. your right. it wont work. it will just try to twist my mounts. it just clicked, the ducks fell in line, i totally understand now. thanks guys, you just saved me from hours of pointless tinkering.