Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: my crawler plans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2004, 10:23 PM   #1

Default my crawler plans

well, i start a machining and welding class in about a week, there i plan to make my first crawler!

i saw toyotafourwheeln's truck on some other boards and decided i HAD to make a crawler! i knew i wanted a tube chassis, and i wanted axels like his! luckily i found my way to this site and he had a build up on his axles, score!

this is the tuber i drew out, may have to enlarge it in a few places, make room for the battery pack. it's gonna have a E-tranny, with the two speed still in tact, and some aluminum panel here and there.

the frame is gonna be made of steel rod, since i think it may be easier to weld, even if it is heavy....form over function ya know.

here are the axels, they look familiar, i know, but i'm gonna have a few suprises.

and rather than welding a lower link rod like toyota did, i'm just gonna weld on a small bracket to the axle.

plan to run XTM CVDs with their x-175 (175 ozof tirque), 4ws of course. gonna use a converted EVX (single battery pack use) with some 6 cell stick packs, and great planes 550 motors. oh yeah, also for traction i'm going with Imex's trail dawgs mounted on Outlaw rims.
kap06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2004, 10:42 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: my crawler plans

before you start building go out and see other trucks run and check out there setup. it will save alot of headaches later
jtothec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 11:55 PM   #3

well, there aren't many crawlers out here in hawaii. most guys here have savages and T-maxx's.

in order to make some room, i may shift the tranny off to the drivers side (centerring the shifting ...prong) and i can put the batteries on the passenger side.

one problem i see with that....getting the batteries in an out will be alittle difficult. i think i may have to squeeze the batts into the hood or trunk area.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:40 AM   #4
Ace
Rock Crawler

Looks good!

One suggestion, your center drop section looks a little low. If you want a really good crawler, most are low with the 4-links almost parallel to the ground (angled slightly). With the center drop you have, the truck will be very high in the air.

If you like them really high like Monster Trucks then your center drop section is about right.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 01:53 PM   #5

well, the bottom (drop section) to the top (roof/cab) will be as high as the E-tranny.

i made it just tall enough to fit the E-tranny in there.

i did some other drawings last night, i'll remake them on the comp and put them up later today or tomorrow.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:15 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

What part of Hawaii do you live in just wondering. I lived there for a couple of years.
BLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 10:53 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I to lived in Hawaii. I lived on Maui from birth untill I was about 13. I know from RCMT that there is a guy with a ripper clod on Maui. I don't know if that helps at all but it might.
NeoSlayer888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 10:54 AM   #8

I live on the big islnd, Hilo to be exact. i know a guy (goes by Kanaka@ RCMT) and he lives on moloka'i. he has a bunch of clods...a race clod and some crawlers.

nice to see there are some ole' loco boys around on the boards.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:09 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Nice plans. I plan on doing something similar since I have an extra set of maxx diffs lying around. Only mine's chassis would be 1/2in square steel tubing and have a custom tranny. Post pics when you start building it.
CustomCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 02:54 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

THats sweet I lived in Hilo For a while.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:07 PM   #11

awesome to hear of another hilo guy.....well, former hilo guy.... i don't seem to bump into many Hawaii guys on RC boards.

i'll try and get pics up, but i still don't have a digi cam...i want to get one...but i'll have to see.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:19 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Ya I havent seen to many from hawaii either, I didnt live in Hilo Long but I loved it there, I lived in Kona also. Well Good luck with your crawler, and I look forward to seeing pics of your Crawler with that familiar background of Hawaii.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:53 PM   #13

well, these are some pics of the tube frame...from other angles.....

these don't actually show all the tubes of the tuber...but just to help you guys see the angles of certain areas.
top view

front view
Old 06-29-2004, 11:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap06
well, i start a machining and welding class in about a week, there i plan to make my first crawler!

i saw toyotafourwheeln's truck on some other boards and decided i HAD to make a crawler! i knew i wanted a tube chassis, and i wanted axels like his! luckily i found my way to this site and he had a build up on his axles, score!

this is the tuber i drew out, may have to enlarge it in a few places, make room for the battery pack. it's gonna have a E-tranny, with the two speed still in tact, and some aluminum panel here and there.

the frame is gonna be made of steel rod, since i think it may be easier to weld, even if it is heavy....form over function ya know.

here are the axels, they look familiar, i know, but i'm gonna have a few suprises.

and rather than welding a lower link rod like toyota did, i'm just gonna weld on a small bracket to the axle.

plan to run XTM CVDs with their x-175 (175 ozof tirque), 4ws of course. gonna use a converted EVX (single battery pack use) with some 6 cell stick packs, and great planes 550 motors. oh yeah, also for traction i'm going with Imex's trail dawgs mounted on Outlaw rims.
on the second pic is that blue thing the bracket around the differential?? what size washer are u planning on using if u do use a washer for that part of the axles. good luck
bajabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:50 PM   #15

yeah, thats a washer with a 1"hole in the center. the small notch in there is for the steering rod that will span from knuckle to knuckel. i cut the two "flat" spots to increase clearance and to get rid of any material that isn't needed.