Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Magnets vs velcro vs clips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2018, 08:20 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Question Magnets vs velcro vs clips

Hello everyone, trying to get my truck bed mod finished up & having trouble deciding how I should do body mounts for rear. I see allot of people saying that using magnets your going to have the body falling off. I don't want that for sure. I still have clips in the hood holding that on. I have room to do the clips, but would rather have something not visible. Only if it's going to work as good or better. Just wondering from your experience what's the best way to go? Thanks for any and all info! Have a great day!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2018, 09:49 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Magnets vs velcro vs clips

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Hello everyone, trying to get my truck bed mod finished up & having trouble deciding how I should do body mounts for rear. I see allot of people saying that using magnets your going to have the body falling off. I don't want that for sure. I still have clips in the hood holding that on. I have room to do the clips, but would rather have something not visible. Only if it's going to work as good or better. Just wondering from your experience what's the best way to go? Thanks for any and all info! Have a great day!
Velcro strip on a rectangular flat piece of plastic mounted across the body post mounts works for me, and will be the approach on my current build...provided you have some means of alignment, which you have still using the hood pins. Sorry no pics handy. Tried magnets...no bueno for me.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #3

Magnets suck for off-roading. Any tip over and it'll dislodge the body in me experience.

I keep the clips - simple and effective.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Small, 1/16 clips with a small washer under them look pretty scale on a 1/10, but velcro is invisible. Magnets are for drifters
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Thanks guys! I have some heavy duty velcro at the house I'll give a shot before I poke some holes in my bed liner. Really appreciate the knowledge!
Old 05-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I designed these body mounts to use 60mm x 10mm magnets. The part that attaches to the body captures the chassis mount so it can’t slide around. I just got the magnets and I plan on using either epoxy or shoe goo to hold he magnets in the mount. I think the weakest part of the system is the bonds between he layers of filament. I can update once I get the magnets installed and run it a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-MuRdaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:56 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

if you go the velcro route use Dual lock instead of the traditional velcro its much, much stronger.

I just did up some magnetic body mounts for a hard body using ring magnets (rare earth) which are much better than those without a hole in the middle as they locate themselves. They're quite strong but I'm only using them here since its on a scale truck and should take a lot less abuse.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:02 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I bought some velcro that's says it'll hold 15lbs I'm going to give it a try. Couldn't find the dual lock anywhere local. C-MuRdaA keep up the good work & please keep us posted on this. I'm very interested to see how it works out for you.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Heavy duty velcro works for me.

Last edited by MPG1959; 09-06-2021 at 08:33 PM.
MPG1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

If u use magnets use washers the the magnets r just big enough to fit in the middle of them they seem to wprk better

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk
jokersinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:20 PM   #11

You can get all 3 done and decide which method you want to use each day. This will also give you option to use one way, 2 different combos or all 3 at the same time.
Ilovecrawling12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:32 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Uhhh... why would he ruin the body by making holes for body posts, then decide to go with velcro or magnets?
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
Uhhh... why would he ruin the body by making holes for body posts, then decide to go with velcro or magnets?
Magnets will ruin the body when they get pulled off and they take paint with them.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:27 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I installed the magnets yesterday. So far the mounts and the magnets are mounted using shoe goo in case I decide to change them up. I’m linking a quick video where you can get an idea of how strong the magnets hold. The front of my truck is super heavy so it’s easier to pop he body off that way. If the truck rolled down a hill and the body go caught up on something I have no doubt that the chassis would separate from the body. For a basic rollover these magnets (60mm x 10mm x 3mm will be fine.
I have a few options.

1: use two magnets side by side to get more force to keep he body on

2: Make two more mounts (either with or without magnets) that hold the body on the sides that would help keep the body on. I would uses a similar style mount as pictured above but bolt it into the mounting space for the stock sliders.

That part will bolt in and I’d make a “box” that would fit over it. I modeled that piece in about 20 min and I plan on printing it tomorrow and test fitting it before moving forward.

Here’s a link to the current setup.
https://youtu.be/NUMc_8YrVPw

Old 05-18-2018, 12:07 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Do you plan on putting scale accessories in said truck bed? if so, perhaps have some scale accessories cover the clips, with said accessories themselves being held on with magnets. The security and ease of clips, while maintaining scale visuals.
AggressorBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:15 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I made these little brackets that bolt into the holes for the stock sliders that will help keep the body on. Once the shoe goo cures I’ll take it for a test drive and see how my whole system holds up.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:45 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

With the four small mounts I added I can now pick up the truck by the body and it won’t come off. This truck weighs a ton too. I’m probably going to fine tune the new mounts and then post all the stuff I made on Thingiverse so people can print their own.

https://youtu.be/5HxDA6dZJ4Y

Magnets vs velcro vs clips - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alternative to Body Clips - Magnet or Velcro? ajsmcs Axial SCX10 II 16 12-20-2016 01:50 AM
Magnets? SMFtwstdHICK Vaterra Ascender 12 05-18-2016 10:51 AM
Magnets jetboat Electronics 9 01-18-2012 06:48 AM
Magnets? BJoe Paint and Body 19 01-08-2010 03:57 PM
Magnets LIKES2CRAWL Electronics 7 09-15-2007 11:31 PM